PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Insurance?

7DDude
05-25-2016, 12:10 PM
The DVX200 is my first serious camera for video, outside of a few other small DSLR/Mirrorless cameras. About 18 months ago I was at a Cracker Barrel (Restaurant) Mid day, mid week, I had a lot of equipment in the truck, and when the wife and I came out, They had taken over $6000 worth of stuff, I was devastated. :furious3:They never caught the person, and the equipment was never recovered. I also thought that I had coverage for it but find out later that my Home owners insurance needed a Rider on the policy to cover anything in the vehicle, same for auto insurance as well.

Well, now that I have the DVX200 and a number of added equipment since then, I want to make sure I'm covered this time. Can anyone recommend an insurance company that they use, and maybe specialize in our industry. Also, if anyone has had any loss, and how the claim was handled ?

Larry Chapman
05-25-2016, 12:34 PM
Here's my agent. I've been very pleased. My coverage is through Hanover. The policy covers gear and liability.

Andy McDonough
artentandy@gmail.com

JRJphoto
05-25-2016, 02:05 PM
Athos Insurance - https://www.athosinsurance.com/
(same company) https://www.insurentertainment.com/

Production, E&O, equipment rentals, owned equipment, venue, etc.

Josh Bass
05-25-2016, 03:59 PM
Can you guys give me an idea of the rates you get or are there a whole bunch of determining factors that would make that info meaningless?

JRJphoto
05-25-2016, 09:36 PM
There's a bunch of determining factors, obviously. Expect to pay $500/year starting out.

Larry Chapman
05-26-2016, 05:25 AM
I pay $1500/year for $70K of insurance on gear *and* liability insurance. Liability is the bulk of that.

JRJphoto
05-26-2016, 07:58 AM
...keeping in mind, of course, that $1500 could come from one gig, so getting insurance is not at all a bad thing to consider doing. It's better to have it and not need it, obviously. Just like release forms and contracts...and an LLC. You simply need to have the paperwork.

Larry Chapman
05-26-2016, 09:00 AM
...keeping in mind, of course, that $1500 could come from one gig, so getting insurance is not at all a bad thing to consider doing. It's better to have it and not need it, obviously. Just like release forms and contracts...and an LLC. You simply need to have the paperwork.

My large corporate clients require that I have liability insurance.