PDA

View Full Version : Short Promo shot on DVX200

dtocco
05-22-2016, 05:26 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OY7MfX2oHiA

Really loving the camera at this point, the negative gains and reworked color palette is fantastic. Shot on Scene 6, graded in Premiere. This is just a small promo I did for fun for my friend's knife making business, always curious to see what other people are making happen with the DVX.

mapper65
05-22-2016, 06:06 PM
Nice job!

JRJphoto
05-22-2016, 10:41 PM
Lovely.

Mike Harvey
05-24-2016, 08:18 PM
So here is my big complaint... and it has nothing to do with the quality of the footage. I'm not sure having a shot of a guy chugging a beer while his buddy right next to him is shooting conveys a particularly positive image for a company. Don't get me wrong, I've drank much beer after shooting many a firearm, but mixing the two tends to end poorly... so the message it's sending comes across as an irresponsible company. Which stinks, because I was all jazzed at first I saw the knife cutting open a box of clays, followed by the shot of trapshooting.

mapper65
05-24-2016, 08:33 PM
So here is my big complaint... and it has nothing to do with the quality of the footage. I'm not sure having a shot of a guy chugging a beer while his buddy right next to him is shooting conveys a particularly positive image for a company. Don't get me wrong, I've drank much beer after shooting many a firearm, but mixing the two tends to end poorly... so the message it's sending comes across as an irresponsible company. Which stinks, because I was all jazzed at first I saw the knife cutting open a box of clays, followed by the shot of trapshooting.

Ha! I thought the same thing when I watched the video. This is one case where the order of the footage can REALLY impact the viewer in a negative way. Even if those guys would never drink while or before shooting, the order of the video gives that impression.

dtocco
05-25-2016, 08:32 PM

Excellent point! Thanks for the feedback.

Mike Harvey
05-26-2016, 03:12 PM
Excellent point! Thanks for the feedback.

And I'm not opposed to the beer in the video, by the way. The shots of them sitting around the fire after the shooting and shooting the breeze (pun intended :)) and have a cold one are nice. It's just that after working a decade in news, that particular shot looked like how a lot of stories we ran started ("Hold my beer and watch this!"). Otherwise, I thought the footage looked good.

DLD
05-26-2016, 11:10 PM
Many years ago - like 30 or so - Roy Firestone had a comedy bit as a baseball announcer on a "beer and ammo" night at the local ballpark. Back then, it was kind of amusing.

70Deep
05-27-2016, 09:24 AM
I always like the idea of a knife falling from 12 or 18 inches or so and sticking into the ground off its own weight.

Nothing really sells me on the knife itself tho as it mainly is used to cut softer type items in the video. I might have thrown it at some tree ring targets in the video had i shot this. Since you did it for fun, it sure looked like a good time.

Mike Harvey
05-27-2016, 01:33 PM
I always like the idea of a knife falling from 12 or 18 inches or so and sticking into the ground off its own weight.

Nothing really sells me on the knife itself tho as it mainly is used to cut softer type items in the video. I might have thrown it at some tree ring targets in the video had i shot this. Since you did it for fun, it sure looked like a good time.

Yeah, I've done videos for my own friends' knife making business (actually, it was the first thing I shot with my DVX200 about 4 hours after it arrived :)) that were far more technical (here's the steel used, and the G10 handle, and the cut angle, etc...). I think the thing I liked about the underlying concept of this video was that it seemed to be more about selling a lifestyle that I can relate to (having grown up on a farm way out in the country).

Design Media Consultants
07-24-2016, 05:31 PM
Great job. Some really nice shots.