PDA

View Full Version : Book recommendations

Networker
05-16-2016, 07:51 AM
Looking at Amazon for Color Grading it seems like the book "Color Correction Handbook: Professional Techniques for Video and Cinema (2nd Edition)" is the one to get. There is a companion book, "Color Correction Look Book: Creative Grading Techniques for Film and Video" that is also highly recommended. I"m sure they are both fine, but they're not cheap. It looks like about $90.- for the pair.

So, what else is worth spending money on? I'm not opposed to videos and online training, but for now I'm looking for some basic texts that I can use as a reference later on. What would you recommend?

Drew Ott
05-16-2016, 10:20 AM
Lynda.com tutorials over textbooks for color correction training. I am such a huge advocate of books in general, but for color correction, you can't beat videos.

Dermot
05-16-2016, 10:23 PM
some free reading idea's.. the manuals for Nucoda FilmMaster, Mystika, Baselight and Resolve are avb from each mfg's site.. all have general gradeing advice and stratiges that will apply to any software, all filtered through the world view of the software tho.. ie the Resolve manual does not touch film style gradeing as it does not have those tools, but Baselight does not have nodes, so there's nothing in their manual about that...

Networker
05-18-2016, 10:10 AM
Lynda.com tutorials over textbooks for color correction training. I am such a huge advocate of books in general, but for color correction, you can't beat videos.
Last night I was looking on Youtube for something on Resolve and realized right off the bat that you're right. You can't learn this from a book, you have to see it. But then something else came to mind; many years ago a very wise woman - a successful business owner - told me that "those who know why will always be paid better than those who know how". And for learning why, the books win out. Well, for me at least they do.

So I'll eventually get those two I mentioned above, but I'll be watching videos about this for the immediate future. I do have one book to get me started - Learning Davinci Resolve 12: A step-by-step guide to editing and color grading - just got it a few days ago and haven't looked at it yet, but after that I'll be hitting the videos.

Thanks to all for your help.