PDA

View Full Version : Are you shooting in V-LOG or using scene files and tweaking color settings in camera

Panatastic
05-13-2016, 11:34 AM
Personally, I am a color correction nut. I love shooting in v-log and working with a LUT in post and taking my footage to new heights. (using premiere CC with Lumetri, btw). I don't prefer the "baked-in" color and midtone restraints outside of v-log.
I see a lot of posts about color settings, and scene files and just wondered where people were with all that. I'm always open to different workflows and ways of seeing it all.
Thank you!

mapper65
05-13-2016, 12:47 PM
Personally, I am a color correction nut. I love shooting in v-log and working with a LUT in post and taking my footage to new heights. (using premiere CC with Lumetri, btw). I don't prefer the "baked-in" color and midtone restraints outside of v-log.
I see a lot of posts about color settings, and scene files and just wondered where people were with all that. I'm always open to different workflows and ways of seeing it all.
Thank you!

Most of my work flow does not allow for shooting in V Log or color adjustment unless absolutely necessary so I'm using scene files. I need to be able to hand off footage to someone that needs to turn it around rather quickly. Most of the time it's ok and nothing needs done to it. I shot something the other day that after playing it back I questioned my contrast a little so I pulled it into FCP and made two minor adjustments and I gave those values to the guy that would be editing the footage and he duplicated those adjustments on his machine before he pushed it out.

MichaelA
05-13-2016, 01:17 PM
In general, I try to get the cameras to sort it out (with the exception of GoPro's in RAW, I seem to do pretty good at getting those corrected in post). I suck at color correction; the best I can do is to get multi cams to pretty much match. I've messed with the scene files quite a bit to come up with a "look" that works out pretty well for me and usually doesn't need much if any correction put it took quite a while to get it all set up.

Brad Forman
05-13-2016, 07:12 PM
Panatastic, I too, am usually shooting to deliver. But the dynamic range of v-log was a huge buying point. I'm also looking forward to hearing everybody's work flow with v-log.