PDA

View Full Version : Would you purchase the DVX 200 again?

7DDude
05-11-2016, 10:48 AM
:Drogar-SunGlass(DBG I'm curious, how many current owners of the DVX200 would purchase one again, now with there experience using the camera, and the latest Firmware?

billg
05-11-2016, 10:50 AM
I would. But I've had it less than a week.

mapper65
05-11-2016, 11:12 AM
I would for sure but it was a rough 4 or 5 months for some of us early adopters and it's still taking me some time to get over that. I'm glad I hung in there but two things happened during that time. It showed me Panasonic's commitment to the product and it really helped me understand the camera more than maybe I would have at this point in time being that I really spent a lot of time trying to tweak things to get something good out of it. I am still by no means a pro with the DVX200 but I don't think I've owned a camera that in the beginning I spent more time fiddling with than actual shooting and that's really helped me. After these last few firmware updates I'm now shooting with it a few times a week. I'm not sure that if someone like Barry wasn't the liaison between Panasonic and the DVX200 users we might not have ended up where we are today. The fact that the company listened to him and others also showed us all that we all weren't crazy when we took the camera out of the box only to find out that it wasn't what we expected and they humbled themselves and showed us what the technology behind the case was capable of.

7DDude
05-11-2016, 11:39 AM
What and why do you think this guy's experience is so negative about the camera, old Firmware maybe?

This a May 9th 2016 Review from B&H on the DVX200 Listing. hate this crap just confuses things, I know, I need to jump in sometime.:Drogar-SunGlass(DBG

5/9/2016
Not great...at all!
By Olivier T

I had to film a documentary in Hawaii and the DVX200 was imposed to me. The experience was not happy.
It's not a good camera overall. Poor compression in camera (4:2:0). A menu that is counter intuitive. The LCD is not good in sun condition and the eye viewfinder in not better. There is only 12 stop of latitude and I believe it is less in truth. If the macro fonction is not engaged, the minimum distance for your focus is like 4 feet.
Well, I had 6 days of shooting with it, in many different condition and it fail all the time.
If you can avoid working with this camera, well...avoid!

pancam
05-11-2016, 12:17 PM
it's true that it offers too much things for the price
first I almost returned it to the trader
but I realized that it hasn't got rival in this category of other cameras
Panasonic has found a gap of the business
but it was a unlucky start to work with this camera
it was really hard to accept that this famous company
launched prototype-like camera
the company created this camera as a beginner
it had basic faults,
for example: it hasn't got negative gain,and
volume control on LCD is unnecessary, it has bad color reproduction, etc...
but the picture quality compensates for everything
i love this camera

mapper65
05-11-2016, 12:22 PM
I've learned over the years that unless you know all of the details about the review and the reviewer you can't always trust what you read. Many people don't understand what firmware is or does. You have no idea the level of this guy's experience and if he has the latest firmware. He doesn't own the camera it was "imposed" to him. The menus were strange to me in the beginning because I hadn't been a Panasonic user since the early to mid 80's. They could be better but I adapted. It wasn't a deal breaker. Most LCDs are bad in the sun. You buy a shade and be done with it.

I still see footage showing up on You Tube that was shot in the previous version firmware or the 1.4 setting and they list it as test. It's really bad for someone that's considering buying the camera to see that footage. That's not what it looks like now. I think Panasonic is doing themselves a great injustice by even allowing the 1.4 option but I understand why they had to do that. People had scenes that they wanted to use that were done prior to the current firmware.

If I were you I would buy the camera and use the heck out of it for 20-25 days allowing you some time in case you feel you want to return it.

Barry_Green
05-11-2016, 01:07 PM
What and why do you think this guy's experience is so negative about the camera, old Firmware maybe?
Well, you can start with the attitude inherent - he says the DVX200 was "imposed" to him. If someone's inclined to hate something, they'll find reasons to. Sounds to me like he had never used one before, and didn't want to; it would be hard to imagine anyone coming out of that scenario happy with it. It is a complex camera, capable of excellent results, if you learn it and use it. He is correct on one thing, the LCD is not good in daylight -- it's very reflective and tough to see in broad daylight. So either a) use the viewfinder (as that's what it's there for), or b) get a hood. But to say that it "fail all the time" -- there's an adage that says a poor carpenter blames his tools.

The DVX200 isn't perfect. But it's a good solid camera that occupies an exclusive niche, it's pretty much the only camera out there that does what it does, and it offers excellent bang for the buck.

7DDude
05-11-2016, 01:09 PM
Again Thanks for the input and info, Been kind of looking for a Sun shade for the LCD screen which is 3.54" X 2.8" Anyone know of a Sun Shade?

JRJphoto
05-11-2016, 04:34 PM
:Drogar-SunGlass(DBG I'm curious, how many current owners of the DVX200 would purchase one again, now with there experience using the camera, and the latest Firmware?

Yes. Absolutely. Three or four more.

mapper65
05-11-2016, 05:16 PM
Again Thanks for the input and info, Been kind of looking for a Sun shade for the LCD screen which is 3.54" X 2.8" Anyone know of a Sun Shade?

I bought one of these. It fits pretty tight on the LCD. I've only ever used it once and maybe it will get better with use but it's so tight that it wants to fold in a little and it blocks some of the view. I think if I left it on for a long period of time it might hold its shape and fit better.

http://www.orcabags.com/product-tag/or-54/

mapper65
05-11-2016, 05:21 PM
Actually after looking at their picture it appears as though I'm installing it incorrectly. I tired to get it out over the outer side dimensions of the LCD. They show it on their site as resting on top of the LCD. That appears to be why it seemed so tight. I'll have to try and put it on properly. Duh...

Ian Wilhelm
05-11-2016, 07:24 PM
I would definitely buy multiple if I could. This camera is great if you are a professional and take the time to customize it the way you like. IMO The Panasonic DVX200 is way better than Sony EX3. Also I use the Hoodman HC300 it fits great.

7DDude
05-11-2016, 08:18 PM
Thanks for the Link, that looks like the real deal. Only $21.00!

greytail
05-11-2016, 09:00 PM
Regarding the hood, I have tried two of them and the Hoodman seems to be the best although it is designed for the Canon 5dMk111 I believe. The one from the UK, I forget the name, fits too tightly. I really worry about snapping off the LCD and breaking it when putting it on. How resilient is this mechanism? I seems quite flimsy. Cost of a repair must be quite high if you do have an accident with it. I am particularly worried because I have to give my cameras to other shooters and they may not be so careful. I tell them to use the viewfinder instead if possible.

Also just had a bad experience with it today....I was out in bright sunshine on a spring day in N. VT, daffodils were just coming up and things were a bit yellow looking as they are in the spring. I did a proper white balance with a card, then after one short sequence, I or someone else accidentally hit the user 1 button which was programmed for ATW. The rest of the shoot was really screwed up. Really ugly color. I am going to reprogram that button!

Larry Chapman
05-12-2016, 04:43 AM
I would, no question.

TDCat
05-12-2016, 04:59 AM
I'm finding it a lengthy learning curve coming from Canon and because of the unusual restrictions the camera has but yes, I would.

Torsten.

voxwerx
05-12-2016, 06:03 AM
I got the place where I work to buy one for me (for work) when they first came out. As soon as I can get the money together I will be buying one for myself.

MichaelA
05-12-2016, 07:05 AM
This is the first camera of this type I have purchased. Previously, I used (and still have) Canon XA10 & 70d as the "main" video cams. I'm a dedicated amateur, I don't make a living shooting stuff, but do independent art type films as a hobby - some of which won awards. I've had a pretty steep learning curve with all my gear, but I read, fiddle, learn, test, and eventually get it sorted out. I have the luxury of being able to spend a lot of time on my little projects and often the ability to reshoot until I get it right. This is a very different set of circumstances than you guys who shoot professionally and face deadlines, client expectations, time constraints, etc. If I had to function with the DVX in a pro environment to make a living, for where I am right now, I'd be kinda worried. It's a complex piece, but once set up really works fantastic. The potential is there - the limiting factor is the users ability to learn and adapt quickly. I've followed the DVX since it was released, and saw the feedback and upgraded firmware. I also saw some early test footage that perhaps didn't do the camera justice and was hesitant to pull the trigger for a big $$ piece of gear that may never pay for itself (in my world, anyway). But I wanted something that would allow me to stretch my abilities, be relatively "future proof" (to the extent any piece of technology can be in today's world), and be easy to use. That last bit may sound counter-intuitive but I've looked at Sony's and JVC's etc. and their proprietary codecs and how that would add another trancoding headache. The DVX uses nice, normal MP4's. I can run and gun it. It's relatively compact. Seems tough. Packs and transports well. Works better (for me) than a DSLR for video in most cases.

I've had it a couple of weeks; a very intensive week of learning about it, testing, etc. Here are my thoughts...

1) I don't think I could have transitioned to this camera without this site & Barry's videos. Panasonic owes him big, because THEIR support level is a bit lacking in comparison.
2) By extension, this forum is a lifesaver for me. Way better than some other user forums and I appreciate the early adopters experiences and perseverance. You guys really paid it forward!
3) Once set up, this thing kicks ass. It can do pretty much anything I want.
4) Panasonic's user interface needs work. Compared to the Canon's it's not very user friendly - but I have gotten used to it (sort of...)
5) This ain't a pro-sumer level product! It really is aimed (given all the features) considerably higher than that to where it is adjustable almost to a fault for what can be perceived as a "hand-held" unit.
6) Panasonic seems responsive to input and the latest firmware resolved my biggest issues with it (finally getting negative gain was one).
7) I can't find anything else out there that comes close for what I need.
8) Would I buy it again? Yes, indeed I would.
9) Would I recommend it? Yes, but with the caveat that to use it well may take more dedication and learning than some are prepared to actually do; but the results are well worth it!

greytail
05-12-2016, 07:24 AM
Yep, that's the one that every time I put in on I wonder if I am going to snap the LCD! I wish they'd have given us a good eye cup and got rid of the LCD!

Mike Harvey
05-12-2016, 10:51 AM
...Poor compression in camera (4:2:0).

It's a $4,200 camera. That's normal.

A menu that is counter intuitive. The LCD is not good in sun condition and the eye viewfinder in not better.

I find the menu to be far better than a lot of Sonys. Pepsi vs Coke, Ford vs Chevy. No opinion on the sun issue, as I haven't shot in the sun with it yet.

There is only 12 stop of latitude and I believe it is less in truth.

I find this one just baffling. It has 12 stops in V-Log. For a $4,200, that's pretty darn good.

If the macro fonction is not engaged, the minimum distance for your focus is like 4 feet.

This one I can get behind. It's annoying, but you learn to live with it.

Well, I had 6 days of shooting with it, in many different condition and it fail all the time
If you can avoid working with this camera, well...avoid!

This honestly sounds less like a camera issue than a user issue. It sound like he's trying to use it like an FS7 or C300. It's not.

Mike Harvey
05-12-2016, 10:51 AM
And yes, I would buy it again. :)

Mike Harvey
05-12-2016, 06:27 PM
...i love this camera

If the OP is bored and wants to go back through a few months of posts, you'll appreciate how much of a ringing endorsment this is, because I can't think of a more frustrated owner than Pancam when it was first released :)

mapper65
05-12-2016, 07:23 PM
If the OP is bored and wants to go back through a few months of posts, you'll appreciate how much of a ringing endorsment this is, because I can't think of a more frustrated owner than Pancam when it was first released :)

Ha! I thought the same thing the other day. I was in a close 2nd or 3rd with him at one point in time.

7DDude
05-12-2016, 09:45 PM
Well, I'm close to getting one. Is there a list of DVXuser sponser's I might shop, I could not find them listed on the site here? Also, What camera bags are we using and why? Thank you everyone for participating in this thread, It's been a big help!

Jonny Gross
05-13-2016, 03:39 AM

Yup, absolutely. The time it took to get used to it was frustrating, but as mapper said, I don't think I've ever been this intimately knowledgeable about a camera I've owned before and it's also caused me to take better care with my shots. It's the only cam of it's kind with this list of features and it's so far serving me well, but it was annoying at the start. We've since come to understand each other...

mapper65
05-13-2016, 04:06 AM
Well, I'm close to getting one. Is there a list of DVXuser sponser's I might shop, I could not find them listed on the site here? Also, What camera bags are we using and why? Thank you everyone for participating in this thread, It's been a big help!

I use Porta Brace bags for all of my cameras. They are just a little big but you'll have everything you need in the bag. What's in mine?

DVX200
Spare Battery
(2) Chargers and Cables
Panasonic MC200G Shotgun Mic
Sony ECM44 Lav Mic
Electro-Voice RE20 Mic
25' Mic Cable
1TB Portable Hard Drive
LCD Hood
White Balace Card (provided free with Porta Brace case)
Flash Light (provided free with Porta Brace case)
Spare Memory Cards
Various HDMI & USB Cables
Lens Cleaning Items
Instruction Manual

There's probably a few things that I'm forgetting but you can basically walk out the door with this case, a tripod and light kit and you'll have everything you need for most shoots. What's nice about these bags are they come with a cushion that gets velcro'd to the bottom of the bag and the camera sits on top of it and there are two straps that go from the floor of the bag up and around the camera to secure the camera during transport. If you've never owned a Porta Brace case they are virtually indistructable and hand made here in the US.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/400712-REG/Porta_Brace_DVO_2R_DVO_2_DV_Organizer_Camera.html (http://www.amazon.com/Portabrace-DVO-2R-Organizer-Black-Red/dp/B0010T2IGY?ie=UTF8&psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o04_s00)

mapper65
05-13-2016, 07:03 AM
Here's how the DVX200 fits in that case. Before anyone says that the eye cup is on backwards, I'm left eye dominant which is kind of a strange but I've always shot that way.

JRJphoto
05-13-2016, 08:37 AM
What camera bags are we using and why?

Sachtler Camporter (Large)

Enough room for spare batteries, cards, the chargers and AC adapter, Audio-Technica headphones, Rodelink wireless lav system, MC700P shotgun in Rycote deadcat, Yongnuo 300 LED light and Sony F battery, tools and other fiddly bits. Stingers in the side pocket that's opposite my legs. Manuals on the other side pocket (and my iPhone), as well as any scripts or other very flat things that won't bother my outer thighs. I may or may not get a Porta-Brace large shoulder strap, just because I'm a fan, but the Sachtler one is just fine. Basically, these used to be Petrol bags until Vinten gobbled them up and turned them into Sachtler-brand bags, but they are of the same high quality: the British version of Porta-Brace, now with a Bavarian trademark. I like mine. And it matches the black/red motif! lol

7DDude
05-13-2016, 10:07 AM
WOW! This is a hard one to turn down, I talked with the Sales Rep in the used dept. at B&H DVX200 in the box, like new, but used, All accessories $3599.00 But 90 Day warranty, then there is the Free Battery & Charger Panasonic Promo that only comes with a New one. Gheeezz! Not sure I like the 90 day warranty.

mapper65
05-13-2016, 10:16 AM
WOW! This is a hard one to turn down, I talked with the Sales Rep in the used dept. at B&H DVX200 in the box, like new, but used, All accessories $3599.00 But 90 Day warranty, then there is the Free Battery & Charger Panasonic Promo that only comes with a New one. Gheeezz! Not sure I like the 90 day warranty.

My impression of your dilemma is that the camera was used as a demo or it was used by someone that just didn't wait out all of the changes in firmware. Either way you could end up with a camera perfectly new or one that was handled not so gently. You may not be able to tell either way. You would be saving $596 over B&H's regular price and that's nothing to sneeze at but.....you are missing out on $523.95 worth of brand new accessories and the full warranty on the new camera. The way I see it, there's only a $71.10 difference between the 2 cameras after you subtract the price of the accessories from the price of a brand new camera and you are getting the full warranty. To me, it's a no-brainer to buy the new camera. If they weren't offering the accessories then my decision might be different but I would want to inspect the used camera very well prior to making a commitment or at least know that I could return it after a few days of testing it out.

7DDude
05-13-2016, 10:33 AM
Very good point Mapper! I can get a new one for $4050.00. I think that is a pretty good price for a new one, No Gray-market and USA Panasonic, full warranty, and get the Promo from Panasonic also.

mapper65
05-13-2016, 10:43 AM
Very good point Mapper! I can get a new one for $4050.00. I think that is a pretty good price for a new one, No Gray-market and USA Panasonic, full warranty, and get the Promo from Panasonic also.

So in that case you would be paying $451.00 more than the used price and getting $524.90 in free accessories (based on B&H's price for those two parts) and getting a new camera with a full warranty. So that's still a savings of $73.90. I think it's a necessity to have at least the spare battery. The spare charger is a little debatable but if you're like me and sometimes shoot all day and need to get up the next day and shoot again it's really helpful to charge two batteries at once.

7DDude
05-13-2016, 10:59 AM
How long do the batteries last on average, shooting 4k? I'm waiting for a Quote today from VSA, INC out of Illinois.

mapper65
05-13-2016, 11:11 AM
How long do the batteries last on average, shooting 4k? I'm waiting for a Quote today from VSA, INC out of Illinois.

I've never ran one down all the way yet. I've shot off and on for a few hours without getting into an emergency and needing to change batteries. I've only switched batteries because I was done for the day and wanted to get that day's battery on charge. A few times I swapped out a battery just because I was at a good point to do so even though I could have gone on longer with that same battery. Maybe someone else can chime in that's ran one down.

JRJphoto
05-13-2016, 11:28 AM
I've never ran one down all the way yet. I've shot off and on for a few hours without getting into an emergency and needing to change batteries. I've only switched batteries because I was done for the day and wanted to get that day's battery on charge. A few times I swapped out a battery just because I was at a good point to do so even though I could have gone on longer with that same battery. Maybe someone else can chime in that's ran one down.

I ran one down just to see if I could. Took 2 hours with LCD on and set to DCI 4K. I've noticed they'll last ~3 hours in conservative use. I have two, plus the free battery is hopefully on its way.

Barry_Green
05-13-2016, 11:30 AM

Stock battery is generally around 2.5 hours, depending on how much zooming you do, etc. The battery in the rebate is bigger and is supposed to last around 4 hours.

7DDude
05-13-2016, 12:11 PM
wow, That's Great!

Mike Harvey
05-13-2016, 10:30 PM

The OEM battery lasts me about 2.5-3hours of continous dual recording in 4k (I've actually tested it when I first bought it.

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1203126-REG/idx_system_technology_sl_vbd96_7_2v_li_ion_battery .html

These are cheaper than the OEM, and last me about 4.5 hours of continous dual recording in 4k. Yes, 4.5 hours.

7DDude
05-16-2016, 03:10 PM
Before I take the plunge for the DVX200, I have a demo unit coming for 2 days, at my cost of return shipping. That seems the smart way to go don't you think, even though it will take about another week of shipping days & trial and then should I order, another few more days.

mapper65
05-16-2016, 05:35 PM
Before I take the plunge for the DVX200, I have a demo unit coming for 2 days, at my cost of return shipping. That seems the smart way to go don't you think, even though it will take about another week of shipping days & trial and then should I order, another few more days.

There's a little bit of a learning curve with the DVX200 so don't get frustrated. I've been a Sony user for the last 15 years or so and it took me a couple of weeks to get comfortable with the controls and menus and I'm still getting used to it. This camera is definitely more on the Pro side of Prosumer.

Mike Harvey
05-16-2016, 09:17 PM
There's a little bit of a learning curve with the DVX200 so don't get frustrated. I've been a Sony user for the last 15 years or so and it took me a couple of weeks to get comfortable with the controls and menus and I'm still getting used to it. This camera is definitely more on the Pro side of Prosumer.

Heck, I've been using Panasonics for nearly a decade, and the DVX replaced an HMC150 and AF100... and it still was a bit of a learning curve for me. :shocked:

7DDude
05-18-2016, 01:17 PM
Hey everyone, I have been looking at all the DVX200 videos on line, some old firmware and some newer, not many @ F1.65. Is this lens Sharp? most of the clips I have viewed seem to be a little soft to what I'm use to seeing.

mapper65
05-18-2016, 04:19 PM
Hey everyone, I have been looking at all the DVX200 videos on line, some old firmware and some newer, not many @ F1.65. Is this lens Sharp? most of the clips I have viewed seem to be a little soft to what I'm use to seeing.
I think it's ultra sharp. I have some expensive Nikon glass for my D800 and I think the DVX200 is every bit as sharp as most of my lenses even a few of my primes. Don't forget you are seeing compression from You Tube and Vimeo which takes a little away from perceived sharpness.

7DDude
05-18-2016, 09:09 PM
Based on what your saying here with your experience and gear, I will have to take your word on that! I'm glad to hear that!
Thanks.

JRJphoto
05-19-2016, 05:32 PM
Plus their shots might be out of focus. This camera can be plenty sharp in the right conditions, and in another set of conditions be pretty soft. Everything I have shot has been 1.65 (don't say F1.65. If you really must shirten "firmware" then say FW because F1.65 looks like an aperture formula stop) with the natural color matrix and everything looks lovely to me.

And to back up Mapper, I have worked with Zeiss Ultra Primes, CP.2's, Cooke Panchros, Schneider Xenon FF, Xeen, Rokinon Canon CN and stills lenses, Nikkor, Rokinon and a bunch of other lenses for digital motion pictures, digital and film stills...as well as some BNCR-mount lenses whose brand escapes me...but anyway, I too know what "sharp" is and I can tell you the DVX200's "sharpness" quality is just fine. But, again, YMMV depending on subject, shooting conditions, etc. And at the end of the day I'd actually prefer the performance of the actor over the sharpness of the lens any day. So even if the shot is a little soft but the actir nailed the performance I'd rather use that take. But, ya know, that's just art. In all practicality, the DVX200 resolves sharpness perfectly fine. Of course it does.

mapper65
05-19-2016, 07:25 PM
I shot some stuff on Tuesday which essentially was four people cooking and talking so it was a lot of run and gun. I also gave them a bunch of what I like to call "food porn" as b roll. Lots of macro shots of food close ups as they seasoned, diced and even cracked open garlic. Today I was talking to the guy that's editing the footage and in passing I said "how's everything look?". He said "the stuff you gave me is just stunning!". He said it multiple times. He said, "I'm really struggling with what to use because I want to use it all but only have so much time in the sequence".

This guy has edited my footage many times in the past so I don't think you can ask for any greater compliment. That was the first time that I shot anything in macro mode and I liked what I saw as I setup the shots so I kept shooting the macros. Maybe if I have some time tomorrow I'll post a few of the shots. It was a really fast moving shoot and quickly snagging those macro shots would not have been possible without the O.I.S.

7DDude
05-19-2016, 09:36 PM
I would love to see them Mapper! Mines on it's way! Yahoo!

mapper65
05-19-2016, 09:41 PM
Here's a group of short clips from the cooking shoot the other day. These are all run and gun B-roll shots with macro on. This is Panasonic's GH4 Still Like scene with everything in Auto including auto white balance. I'm happy with how well the camera did. The last shot is a little dark but I had just moved from being focused on a cement table top which was light gray so I don't think the camera had recalculated exposure quite as fast as it would have needed to correctly expose the taco.

https://youtu.be/93bap6-ocBY

7DDude
05-19-2016, 10:23 PM
Here's a group of short clips from the cooking shoot the other day. These are all run and gun B-roll shots with macro on. This is Panasonic's GH4 Still Like scene with everything in Auto including auto white balance. I'm happy with how well the camera did. The last shot is a little dark but I had just moved from being focused on a cement table top which was light gray so I don't think the camera had recalculated exposure quite as fast as it would have needed to correctly expose the taco.

https://youtu.be/93bap6-ocBY

Hey Mapper65, whats not to like about that! Now I'm really jacked! I liked how the skin tones looked, and very nice and sharp, very nice for just about full auto. Was that 1080P Internal or 4K down converted?
Thanks a bunch,

mapper65
05-20-2016, 03:31 AM
Hey Mapper65, whats not to like about that! Now I'm really jacked! I liked how the skin tones looked, and very nice and sharp, very nice for just about full auto. Was that 1080P Internal or 4K down converted?
Thanks a bunch,

That's just 1080P. It would look even better if it was down converted 4K.

cookinghusband
06-15-2016, 05:41 PM
That's just 1080P. It would look even better if it was down converted 4K.
Which scene setting were you using? I like that color as well.

mapper65
06-15-2016, 05:54 PM
Which scene setting were you using? I like that color as well.

That was Panasonic's GH4 Still Like scene.

http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/products/ag-dvx200/custom_scene.html

Allen McL
06-19-2016, 09:06 AM

I got this one from Amazon.co.uk, cheap and very effective...

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B00KVFL7V0/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o03_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1