PDA

View Full Version : Tech Question for Barry Green

jpvid
05-08-2016, 07:44 PM
Hi Barry, I thought I would ask you this question because you seem to have the greatest knowledge when it comes to what can be done with this camera and what Panasonic may do as far as updates to firmware etc... Do you know (if firmware can do it) if Panasonic plans on giving the camera the ability to display the white balance value, when you do a manual white balance in position A and B? I never realized how important/useful that was while shooting ( I had the Panasonic HPX370 before the DVX200) until now and I no longer have it. Any info would be appreciated. Thanks

-John

Barry_Green
05-09-2016, 10:36 AM
I can't recall that having been discussed; I don't know if they plan on doing it at some point but I haven't heard them say that they're going to, so I wouldn't count on it.

jpvid
05-09-2016, 11:29 AM
Do you think that it is something that could even be done in a firmware update?

Barry_Green
05-09-2016, 01:05 PM
I'm sure it probably could be. But the question is whether they feel it necessary to add, and if there will be more updates. At some point they'll have to quit working on developing this camera so they can put those engineers to work on developing the next camera. The DVX200 has had more updates, and more substantial updates, in less time than just about any product I can think of them having released in the last decade. I'm impressed with how much after-launch development they've done so far, but I've got to wonder when they're going to call it "good" and move on to a DVX300 or PX280 or VariCam LT II or whatever is coming next...

jpvid
05-09-2016, 04:26 PM
Thats a good point, updates can't go on forever. Once again, thanks for ALL your work making this camera what it is now, I appreciate it.

-John

nutmegger
05-09-2016, 10:49 PM
I'm sure it probably could be. But the question is whether they feel it necessary to add, and if there will be more updates. At some point they'll have to quit working on developing this camera so they can put those engineers to work on developing the next camera. The DVX200 has had more updates, and more substantial updates, in less time than just about any product I can think of them having released in the last decade. I'm impressed with how much after-launch development they've done so far, but I've got to wonder when they're going to call it "good" and move on to a DVX300 or PX280 or VariCam LT II or whatever is coming next...

There is a large price gap in Panasonic's large sensor product line between the DVX200 at $4195 USD and the Varicam LT at $16.5K USD. I wonder if Panasonic's product planners are considering a camera above the DVX200 and below the Varicam LT?

Barry_Green
05-09-2016, 11:23 PM
I certainly made a vigorous case to them at NAB. But, consider that that segment of the market is crowded to the gills with Sonys and Canons and Reds and whatnot, so -- I have no idea if they'll pursue that segment, or if they'll continue to look for alternative segments (like the DVX200). Only time will tell.

TDCat
05-10-2016, 04:17 AM
At some point they'll have to quit working on developing this camera so they can put those engineers to work on developing the next camera.

I realise this market is changing quickly but I hope that development and support are separate functions (to some extent) in Panasonic and that even feature addition only firmware updates (never mind fault fixes) will continue for some time. Maybe I'm just being too hopeful :embarasse.

That said, the number of additions I've seen on this camera is incredible (I only bought one a few months back). My only current wish is to be able to record CH1 from XLR1, CH2 from XLR2 but listen to CH1/CH1 in my headphones. Other than that, this camera continues to impress with it's diversity and functionality (considering the price).

7DDude
05-10-2016, 10:31 PM
Barry, I'm currently shopping around for a DVX200. I can't remember where but I thought that the warranty is 2-years? But it seems a lot of sellers are saying 1-year. Also, the prices are all over the place, from $3,799 to $4,300 and all come with the same package and equipment. Could you clarify some of this? Again, Thank you, You and Panasonic's post sale support are a big reason i'm getting the DVX200.

billg
05-11-2016, 07:55 AM
The $3,800 price is just a come-on from the bait-and-switch houses like 42nd Street Photo. You will quickly find out that they have run out of stock at that price point and/or will be given the high-pressure treatment to buy add-ons of one sort or another. You will also find that these are grey market units that do not have a USA warranty. Right now, Panasonic is offering a free additional, larger battery and two-station quick charger, which amounts to an approximately $500 rebate and results in an even better price for a certified USA unit. Also, the Panasonic warranty is for one year and is written on the warranty card that comes in the box. I just got my DVX200 from B&H; they sell certified products, have good prices and good service.

mapper65
05-11-2016, 08:47 AM
The $3,800 price is just a come-on from the bait-and-switch houses like 42nd Street Photo. You will quickly find out that they have run out of stock at that price point and/or will be given the high-pressure treatment to buy add-ons of one sort or another. You will also find that these are grey market units that do not have a USA warranty. Right now, Panasonic is offering a free additional, larger battery and two-station quick charger, which amounts to an approximately $500 rebate and results in an even better price for a certified USA unit. Also, the Panasonic warranty is for one year and is written on the warranty card that comes in the box. I just got my DVX200 from B&H; they sell certified products, have good prices and good service.

I agree with Bill about buying from a reputable company that's not known for their bait and switch antics. I have a lot of acquaintances that ask me where they can get the best price on something. I typically recommend B&H with the disclaimer that "they might not always be at the exact lowest price but they will be at a fair price and you won't have to worry about them trying to up sell you on accessories".

A few years ago someone that I worked with came back to me after a recommendation and said "Hey, I found a company that's $125 less than that B&H company you recommended". I said "did you order the camera?". He said, "no but I'm going to call them right now". I said "let me tell you how this works. As soon you tell them the part number that you are looking for they are going to try and sell you some accessories. When you tell them that you don't want the accessories or possibly an extended warranty they are going to say that they are out of stock on just the camera but if you want some accessories they still have some of the cameras available but they are already bundled with accessories and they can't split them up because of how they purchased them".

I sat in the guy's office while he called the company. I could quickly tell how the conversation was progressing as this guy got the run around. Not being able to hide my reaction I started smiling as he attempted to try and reason with the guy on the other end of the phone. I'm not sure whom he was more PO'd at, me or the guy at the camera company but hey, what do I know. He slammed down the phone and said, "What's the number of this place that you deal with!".

I buy mostly from B&H but there are some other great companies out there besides them. There are probably a few that may be sponsors of this forum or maybe even fellow forum members but I'm not sure whom they would be. Don't get trapped into thinking you are going to get a great deal over what the reputable companies are asking for the DVX200. They are all probably going to be the same price as each other. Getting the dual charger and spare battery is a sweet deal that I wish was available when I bought mine being that I bought a spare battery and second charger at the same time that I ordered the camera but hey, that's life.

bkkcom
05-11-2016, 09:23 AM
Totally agree about B&H, been buying from them for years, never had a problem......

Larry Chapman
05-11-2016, 09:31 AM
B&H is good, but....I always try and buy locally whenever possible. I live 70 miles from Denver, and there are two distributors that I know of that will match B&H prices. Your area may vary....

Barry_Green
05-11-2016, 01:17 PM
Barry, I'm currently shopping around for a DVX200. I can't remember where but I thought that the warranty is 2-years? But it seems a lot of sellers are saying 1-year.
My understanding is that the factory warranty is one year.

Also, the prices are all over the place, from $3,799 to $4,300 and all come with the same package and equipment. Could you clarify some of this?
Well, there's two possible things at work - the free market, and gray-market sellers.

First, the free market -- the MSRP is $4,695, but sellers can ask whatever they want. The MSRP is just that - a manufacturer's Suggested retail price. So a seller could ask $5,000 for it, if he thinks he can get it. Or he can ask $4,695 if he thinks people will pay that. Or, it seems most have decided on a "street price" of $4,195. There's nothing stopping a seller from asking for less, if they think they need to, to be able to move the product to their customers.

But that all presupposes that the sellers are legitimate, authorized sellers. There's another class of seller, the gray marketer, who has no contractual relationship with Panasonic and is not authorized to sell their product. The gray marketer buys their product wherever they can - from China, from Thailand, from Singapore or Spain, who knows where he gets it, and he brings it into the US to sell. These products will not have a USA factory warranty, and these sellers have no contract with Panasonic USA and are thus not held to the same standards as USA-authorized sellers are. Sometimes these sellers will sell the camera body only, and remove all the other stuff (like the battery and charger) and sell those separately. Or sometimes they'll take out the factory battery and charger, and substitute in some crappy cheapo third-party battery and charger. That way they can claim they're selling all the same stuff (camera, battery, charger) as a real, genuine, factory-authorized seller would do, but because they're not actually a factory-authorized seller, you have no idea what they actually are selling you. These sellers take advantage of depressed markets or currency exchange rates and buy their product on the "gray market" and sell it to the end user without the end user knowing that they're not dealing with an actual authorized dealer. Several of these dealers are based in Brooklyn and have employed questionable tactics and ethics that have gotten them indicted by the New York attorney general; they came to be known as "Crooklyn" dealers. When their reputation gets bad enough, they just change their business name and keep on employing the same business practices. And it keeps working, because there are always enough "suckers" out there who are all too glad to believe that you can get something for nothing.

Again, Thank you, You and Panasonic's post sale support are a big reason i'm getting the DVX200.
Well, glad to be of whatever help I can. Good luck!

Barry_Green
05-11-2016, 01:25 PM
B&H is good, but....I always try and buy locally whenever possible. I live 70 miles from Denver, and there are two distributors that I know of that will match B&H prices. Your area may vary....
I have bought many products from B&H over the years, with no problems. I would, however, ask that DVXUser members consider buying from DVXUser sponsors. We have a number of fine camera dealers (such as Texas Media Systems, EVS, Abel Cine, and others) who would be glad to have your business, who may be closer, and who may offer competitive pricing, and who already have supported bringing this forum to you, so -- while I have nothing against B&H, I would ask that people consider that there are many other fine dealers too, and some of those are sponsors that help bring this forum to you, and would be well worth considering giving your business to.

JRJphoto
05-11-2016, 04:36 PM
I love B&H but I purchased my DVX200 through Videotex Systems in Dallas. The peripherals came from B&H (on the same day the camera arrived).

jpvid
05-11-2016, 04:50 PM
Barry, instead of starting a new thread, this is in the similar line as my original white balance question. I really love the focus transition feature, have you heard anything in a possible firmware update of the ability to set your focus points and then be able to zoom in or out while you do the focus transition. Thanks

Barry_Green
05-11-2016, 04:53 PM
Barry, instead of starting a new thread, this is in the similar line as my original white balance question. I really love the focus transition feature, have you heard anything in a possible firmware update of the ability to set your focus points and then be able to zoom in or out while you do the focus transition. Thanks
Nobody's mentioned that as far as I know...

jpvid
05-11-2016, 05:08 PM
ok thanks, be pretty cool feature if you could do that as well.