PDA

View Full Version : Auto Shutter will not disable.

makeall6
04-26-2016, 03:05 PM
I just updated to the latest firmware and noticed that auto shutter is on even though in the auto sw menu it is off. What gives?

Cheers.
Tom

Barry_Green
04-26-2016, 04:44 PM
Two things can trigger auto shutter:

1) having the Auto/Manu switch in "auto". The Auto SW menu item can disable it in this case though.

2) Pressing the "shutter" button toggles between auto and manual.

I suggest pressing the shutter button, it will almost certainly fix your issue.

makeall6
04-27-2016, 04:59 AM
Thanks Barry. I may have spoken too soon. Maybe I just noticed this. When auto shutter is off is 1/60 shutter speed the default? I don't remember seeing that. It seems I used to be able to turn shutter speed off. By the way, your book is fantastic. I use it almost everyday. What a great tool. Keep up the great work. You should do a video tutorial.

Cheers,
Tom

mapper65
04-27-2016, 12:13 PM
Thanks Barry. I may have spoken too soon. Maybe I just noticed this. When auto shutter is off is 1/60 shutter speed the default? I don't remember seeing that. It seems I used to be able to turn shutter speed off. By the way, your book is fantastic. I use it almost everyday. What a great tool. Keep up the great work. You should do a video tutorial.

Cheers,
Tom

Hi Tom, I'm pretty sure that when you switch the shutter to manual, the last automatic shutter value is where it will be set.

Barry_Green
04-27-2016, 12:52 PM
Thanks Barry. I may have spoken too soon. Maybe I just noticed this. When auto shutter is off is 1/60 shutter speed the default?
Maybe. It might depend on the frame rate you're shooting at; in 25P I would expect the default to be 1/50.

It seems I used to be able to turn shutter speed off.
No, you used to be able to turn off the shutter speed display, but it was always going in auto shutter when you did that. That was my #1 gripe about the DVX200, and one they finally fixed. If the shutter speed was displayed, it was manual shutter, but if there was no shutter speed displayed, then it was in fact in auto shutter(!) without you knowing it! So they fixed it to not only tell you that it's in auto shutter, but also to tell you what the shutter speed is.

By the way, your book is fantastic. I use it almost everyday. What a great tool. Keep up the great work.
Glad you liked it!

You should do a video tutorial.
Well, there's this...
http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/dvx4k/tech.html#tech_movie

That's a link to a series of 14 video tutorials I did on the DVX200.

makeall6
04-27-2016, 12:53 PM
Thanks for the reply. So the shutter is never really off? I am used to an old school broadcast camera and I normally had the shutter totally off.

Barry_Green
04-27-2016, 02:18 PM
The only way to set the shutter "off" is to set it to the same speed as the frame rate (so, 1/24 for 24p, 1/60 for 60i/60p, etc).

makeall6
04-27-2016, 02:31 PM
Thanks Barry. I guess I just don't remember seeing that 1/60 shutter speed in the viewfinder before I upgraded. I pretty much have been shooting 1080p/60 FHD since I got the camera. I swear that shutter speed wasn't there before. Anyway, thanks so much for taking the time to answer my questions. I will most likely have a few more as I get used to the camera. I have been in business for 30 years and have gone through about every format. I started out with 3/4 inch U-matic. Still having fun. Thanks again.
Cheers.
Tom

JRJphoto
04-27-2016, 03:52 PM
I recall many a student project shot with 3/4" Umatic. Then BetaSP, DVCPro, P2 and SSD. Now, SDXC. Storage gets bigger and media gets smaller...and quieter!

makeall6
04-27-2016, 04:40 PM
I am still having trouble with this auto shutter setting. I noticed in some of Barry's videos with shots of the LCD screen, I did not see shutter speed. My shutter speed is always showing, no matter what setting in the Auto SW menu I choose. Now I will say that sometimes it is yellow and sometimes white. But is is always there. So really don't know if the shutter is on or off. I still contend something changed with the new firmware upgrade. In an earlier post Barry said if I am shooting at 60 fps that if my shutter speed is 60 then all is good. But I just want the shutter to be off. I am sooooo confused. What am I not getting?

Thanks to all.
Cheers.
Tom

Vaughan Wood
04-27-2016, 05:16 PM
Hi Tom. As Barry said before, in the earlier firmware, if you didn't see the shutter in the viewfinder, it defaulted to AUTO, never OFF. So you, like the rest of us, assumed it was off, but it wasn't. It may have been sitting on way higher without you knowing.

So they have changed it so we always know what it's doing. A pain yes, but better than not knowing.

When you turn the camera on, the gear selector is selected (orange) and will run through different things when you turn the sel/push sel knob near the menu button. When you see shutter selected there, and push to select, then then shutter value will turn orange and can be adjusted to whatever you want, shooting 25fps and you want 50, so set it to 50, push to set it (it turns white), and you're locked in.

For whatever reason, you cannot 'turn it off' or 'not see it' as before, but at least it isn't spinning around to 1/350 unseen in auto, and you're wondering what the hell is wrong with the camera.

Hope this helps,

Vaughan

Barry_Green
04-27-2016, 05:18 PM
Something DID change with the new firmware upgrade -- the camera quit lying to you!

In the old firmware, the only time the shutter speed was not displayed was when the camera was in AUTO shutter! It was not in "shutter off", it was in AUTO. And I raised holy hell about it, because I thought that was vital information the shooter needed to know.

Now, in the new firmware, they clearly tell you when it's in AUTO. That is what changed.

The shutter was never "off" before. It was in AUTO, invisibly.

If you want no effect of a shutter, set it to the speed that corresponds to the frame rate you're shooting at. 24p @ 1/24 is the same as "shutter off" at 24p on a broadcast camera. 60p or 60i at 1/60 is the same as "shutter off".

There is no global, general "shutter off" setting -- and there never was. I think you were mistaking the invisible auto shutter for "shutter off". It wasn't "shutter off", and it wasn't doing you any favors. It was in auto, and it could be changing the shutter speed without you even knowing it. Now, the only thing that's changed in the new firmware is that the shutter speed is always displayed, so you'll always know what the current shutter speed is.

Ron Evans
04-27-2016, 05:44 PM
The AG-UX180/150 look to be great camera too. Hope you will produce books for those too Barry ? The AG-UX180 look like a nice camera upgrade from my FDR-AX1 or even my NX5U.

makeall6
04-28-2016, 05:39 AM
Thanks Vaughn. I got it.

makeall6
04-28-2016, 05:41 AM
Hi Barry,

Now I get it. Great explanation. I can sleep tonight. Again, thanks to all. What a great forum.

Cheers.
Tom