PDA

View Full Version : DVX200 1.65 Update Released

mapper65
04-25-2016, 04:46 AM
You can find the new update here:

http://eww.pass.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/support/content/download/EN/ep2main/soft/upgdvx200_e.htm

These are the changes:

Ver. 1.65-
Improvement
Improvement of V-Log L gradation (more distinct gradations at low luminance areas)
Improvement of color reproduction of recorded still images
Adjusted values of Gain are maintained even after being rebooted.
Addition of a negative Gain* adjustment
*The value between -6dB and -1dB or ISO250 and ISO400
[EXTENDED SENSITIVITY] menu added.
Improvement of operability
Addition of a sign showing that Shutter is set to “Auto” “A-SHTR + numeral (shutter speed)”
Assignment of USER SW to AWB button on the front is enabled.
Assignment of Focus Assist function to USER SW is enabled with EXPAND and PEAKING separated.    
- Mode1 (EXPAND/PEAKING/BOTH) ON/OFF    
- Mode2 (EXPAND/PEAKING) ON/OFF
Addition of functions that can be assigned to USER SW
"PUSH AUTO","SLOT SEL”,"AWB"
The fastest mode is added to Focus Transition function.

(AG-DVX200MC Model Only)
1. (EVF/LCD Output Destination Switchover: Default setting is changed to LCD.)
2. (High sensitivity mode to default setting )

Mike Harvey
04-25-2016, 08:17 AM
That negative gain/ISO option just made my day... been in too many situations where I'm recording an interview, and needed to close the iris down (ND would have been too much light loss), forsaking needed DoF.

Mabou
04-25-2016, 08:20 AM
LOL... rats Mapper, you beat me to it. I just found the update completely by accident. Finally went to the Panny website to download Scene File 4 that you told me about so long ago.

mapper65
04-25-2016, 08:21 AM
I was glad to see that the camera now holds the adjusted gain value after a reboot. This has jammed me up a few times as I sit there scratching my head for a few seconds wondering why I was not seeing what I saw prior to powering down and back up again.

Mabou
04-25-2016, 08:23 AM
I have to say... it is SO COMFORTING to see that Panasonic is standing behind this product and working hard to make improvements. As of the previous scene files and firmware, I started to feel like this camera image is kicking arse. I look forward to seeing how far they can push this thing.

mapper65
04-25-2016, 08:35 AM
Deep down I've always believed that the camera itself had everything that it needed to produce a great image but changes were definitely going to have to happen in order to see that great image. Why they released it with some sub-par issues I guess we'll never know. They fact that they have worked out many of what I call sub-par issues is great. It made me nervous for a long time that I possibly bought a camera that might never amount to the hype that Panasonic gave it and I expected. I'm glad that I'm at least to the point of using it every week on a shoot or two. I went months messing with it and really not having a comfortable feeling about using it. I'm still bonding with my DVX200 but I expect in time we'll do well together. Keep the updates coming Panasonic.

pancam
04-25-2016, 08:56 AM
At last longer, they make it to negative gain
It will help to keep the noise, and needed DOF
why we had to wait much?
I'am happy, but there is still room for improvement

Mabou
04-25-2016, 09:04 AM
Pancam! I thought you would have sold the 200 a LOOOONG time ago? Regarding why we had to wait? Because Panasonic is run by humans and they are doing the best work they can, as quickly as they can. Always a struggle for tech manufacturers to keep new products entering the market vs trying to make sure they are producing the highest quality possible. These days every tech company is releasing products before they are fully ready and doing updates. The entire world are BETA testers now. Personally, I still think you got a bad camera and should have returned it. Even when the camera first came out, I didn't see all the problems that you saw on your camera. Hopefully these updates are making your camera work for you. Still though, when good news comes (such as a firmware update that fixes many problems), don't waste your time wondering why it took so long... just be happy that Panasonic cares enough to work hard on making these fixes.

Brad Forman
04-25-2016, 09:42 AM
Thanks Mapper!

McKnee
04-25-2016, 09:51 AM
Thanks mapper
Wir everything is only people and can try to give the best. So long them in it arbeiten
bin I Contently.

Barry_Green
04-25-2016, 10:03 AM
This update was the firmware being shown at NAB. The auto shutter display made me happy, it solved my #1 gripe about the camera. And the negative gain is sooo welcome; it now makes it possible to get an open iris even in broad daylight without having to resort to using a fast shutter speed.

The firmware updates the dvx200 has received represent the most significant changes to a shipping model that I think I have ever seen them do, since I have been following them (2002). The performance of the camera now is so much better than the stock performance that I almost wish they would re-brand it -- call it the DVX200A or something, so people would give it a fresh look and evaluate it for what it is today. It always had this power under the hood but it wasn't so easy to access it. Now it is much more approachable and I am glad to see it. I hope people will give it afair shake based on what it is now, and not be iinfluenced by old outdated perceptions formed during the (admittedly rocky) launch.

xnofriendsx
04-25-2016, 10:03 AM
Deep down I've always believed that the camera itself had everything that it needed to produce a great image but changes were definitely going to have to happen in order to see that great image. Why they released it with some sub-par issues I guess we'll never know. They fact that they have worked out many of what I call sub-par issues is great. It made me nervous for a long time that I possibly bought a camera that might never amount to the hype that Panasonic gave it and I expected. I'm glad that I'm at least to the point of using it every week on a shoot or two. I went months messing with it and really not having a comfortable feeling about using it. I'm still bonding with my DVX200 but I expect in time we'll do well together. Keep the updates coming Panasonic.

Well said.
I was seriously thinking of selling this camera before the last two firmware updates. I just couldn't seem to get this camera right for what i needed.
With just a complete reset of the camera and using the GH4 Scene Files (SCN4), and this new firmware with the negative gain, it is looking promising.

greytail
04-25-2016, 11:33 AM
I guess the lesson from all this is to view a manufacturer's marketing hype and that of so called reviewers with a lot more suspicion, and then hold off any purchase for perhaps a year! I suspect that users more experienced than I have already adopted this strategy. I own three of these cameras, because of what I read in Barry's early findings. Yes, I could see it was not an Fs7 but pretty close to the next best thing and at a much lower price! Like Mapper, I had faith, but I am p**d about being put through a good deal of anxiety. After all, one only owns technology for a while before one has to sell it and move on the next thing and the camera's rocky introduction could still effect its resell value. I am also p**d about the free battery/charger deal for new customers, now being offered. This should have been retroactive to customers who bought early on and who have been through a lot of hassle, though no fault of their own.

pancam
04-25-2016, 12:27 PM
Mabou!

I do not agree!
Interestingly, previous cameras weren't in beta versions (Sony DXC 3000, Pana AG-EZ1, Pana DVX 100, Sony Z7, Pana AG-AC160, Sony 320)
If you buy anything it's important to work perfectly
Panasonic uses my money perfectly,
while this Panasonic's camera is not perfect
this is exactly the problem,
one would expect the finished version
I say to the client, sorry, but this is a beta shooting...

but I very-very appreciate the work of developers
I am so glad to Panasonic doesn't leave the users alone

pancam
04-25-2016, 12:31 PM
I'm really very grateful to the new firmware
Great news

pancam
04-25-2016, 12:32 PM
think of the future

mapper65
04-25-2016, 12:54 PM
I am also p**d about the free battery/charger deal for new customers, now being offered. This should have been retroactive to customers who bought early on and who have been through a lot of hassle, though no fault of their own.

Ironically I bought a second Panasonic brand battery and charger right out of the gate but nobody would have had any idea that they were going to offer the promotion. "It is what it is" as they say.

Jordanmolaro
04-25-2016, 08:20 PM
Awesome News!

Robert Bale Eventshd
04-26-2016, 05:09 AM
Cool.

Mike Harvey
04-26-2016, 06:12 AM
Ironically I bought a second Panasonic brand battery and charger right out of the gate but nobody would have had any idea that they were going to offer the promotion. "It is what it is" as they say.

My DVX has already paid itself off, and I bought it in January. I'm not going to get bent out of shape over a new camera/battery deal for folks who bought it 2.5 months after I did... especially considering the rate at which they're releasing firmware improvements.

JRJphoto
04-26-2016, 03:32 PM
Wonderful to see Panasonic continuing to regularly update the DVX200 firmware, and with important changes and needed fixes.

KJKoncert
04-26-2016, 05:17 PM
What is the "MC" model?

mapper65
04-26-2016, 05:49 PM
What is the "MC" model?

Maybe Barry has the inside scoop on that. My couple of minutes of research in the two versions of manuals that were released so far indicate that certain suffixes are shipped with some of the default settings set differently. One that jumped out at me right away was recording frequency. So these suffixes must be regional.

By default, the system frequency is set to the broadcasting system of the region where thisproduct was purchased.
AG-DVX200PJ/PB/PX: This functionís default setting is [59.94Hz].
AG-DVX200EJ/EN/ED: This functionís default setting is [50.00Hz]

Volume 1 of the manual only listed 3 suffixes, volume 2 showed 6 suffixes. To date, none of the manuals list an MC suffix.

JRJphoto
04-26-2016, 06:20 PM
As fas I can tell, the MC version is a Chinese one since I see DVX200 and other Panasonic cameras with the -MC suffix on Chinese websites.

Barry_Green
04-26-2016, 11:38 PM
Yes, the suffix letters mark what territory the camera is intended for. I think PJ = North America, EJ = europe, EN = Aus/NZ, and it seems reasonable that MC = China.

Since the DVX200 is a world camera, any model can be used anywhere, but the specific model number would be important for warranty considerations. If you expect to be able to receive warranty work in your country, you'd need to buy the model that is sold in your country.