PDA

View Full Version : Firmware update 1.5.1 vs the Barry/Panny 18 scene files vs the Factory Scene Files

Mabou
04-03-2016, 07:19 AM
Hi Guys,

OK, I am really confused about the scene file situation in regard to the new FW update.
I understand that (for example) Barrys GH4 scene files (which I uploaded to my camera a while ago) are still active and that the new "Natural" color option only serves to modify the output image, not modify or change the scene files.

BUT

Some of you are saying that the FACTORY scene files now look great with the new firmware update. Unless I missed that Panny updated the SceneFile 1 scene files, I assume these are the exact same scene files that we all hated originally?

ALSO,

I took a look a the relatively new 18 scene files that Barry and Panny released a while ago. They were created with firmware 1.25. So should I wait until these get "optimized" to work with 1.5.1 or should I just quit worrying and get on board?

sorry if these are dumb questions... I researched these forums to the point that I lost my mind.

Barry_Green
04-03-2016, 08:51 AM
All the scene files I've done work properly under the 1.4 color palette. They would look different if used in the new "natural" palette.

Mabou
04-03-2016, 10:15 AM
Hi Barry, I understand that your scene files will look different in the Natural Palette, as will the 18 scene files that you posted for Panasonic....

I guess what I am trying to ask, is since all available scene files were created with the 1.25 firmware, what do we do right now about our scene file choice?

If we want to take advantage of the new firmware color rendering and not have to experiment endlessly to see how your scene files are affected, do we just load the factory scene files? As I said, I'm really confused.

mapper65
04-03-2016, 04:27 PM
Hi Barry, I understand that your scene files will look different in the Natural Palette, as will the 18 scene files that you posted for Panasonic....

I guess what I am trying to ask, is since all available scene files were created with the 1.25 firmware, what do we do right now about our scene file choice?

If we want to take advantage of the new firmware color rendering and not have to experiment endlessly to see how your scene files are affected, do we just load the factory scene files? As I said, I'm really confused.

What I have done after the 1.51 firmware update was reset the scene the files in the camera to the factory settings. My camera now has the original Panasonic scenes in SCN1-SCN6 positions. Once I did the reset I then saved the scenes in the camera to scene1.txt on the SD card.

I then put the SD card into my computer and wrote Barry's scene2.txt, scene3.txt and scene4.txt onto the SD card. When I pull in a scene or scenes from scene1.txt into the camera I make sure I'm set for Natural. When I pull anything from Barry's scene2.txt-scene4.txt into the camera I then switch to the 1.4 setting.

It's my opinion that you should put all of the factory scenes through their paces in the Natural mode first. I think the camera performs at its best. Prior to the upgrade, Barry's scenes were definitely my first choice but you could still see some slight limitations in them only because of how the camera was processing the color and not because of the scene file itself. Not sure if Barry has any plans on re-doing at least the GH4 files but I suspect we would see new life in a set of updated scenes now that the camera seems to be processing color much better in Natural Mode.