PDA

View Full Version : Shoulder Rig for DVX200

greytail
03-02-2016, 10:03 AM
Does anybody know anything about this:
Acebil ST-7R KIT1G System Package, Includes ST-7R Mountable Shoulder Adaptor, VST-14 Quick Release Tripod Base Plate and CS-382G Professional Tripod SystemIt's on Adorama at a lower price than B&H. You can buy either the whole kit or the shoulder rig for just over $1,000 at Adorama
I called the company rep in LA. It's a Taiwan company and asked if it was the same as the ProteK from the UK. The rep said it is "substantially the same"...so does that mean a knock off?
The protea is here:
http://www.newsshooter.com/2015/10/10/protech-show-panasonic-dvx200-shoulder-mount-adaptor-for-eng-style-operation/

You can buy just the shoulder rig from Acebil but be warned, it does not come with the power cable which is listed at an additional $175.00

Just wondering whether this is worthwhile or not?

jpvid
03-02-2016, 11:38 AM
Ordered it the other day, I'm just waiting for tracking info on it. As soon as it shows up I will get it rigged up and take it out on a few shoots. I'll be able to give you basic info like build quality etc.. as soon as I get it. Stayed tuned

greytail
03-02-2016, 12:46 PM
I am trying to determine whether the base plate on the shoulder rig will fit into a 501 Manfrotto head. Did you order the complete kit or just the shoulder rig?

jpvid
03-02-2016, 01:15 PM
Just the shoulder rig and power cable. The tripod you have doesn't really matter. I have a Sachtler 18 and Manfrotto 502 tripod - they both will work. You need to have the SONY VCT-U14 quick release plate on your tripod (there are generic versions out there) that plate "snaps" into the bottom of the ST-7R. Just received tracking info my ST-7R should show up on Monday.

greytail
03-03-2016, 07:23 AM
Adorama has changed its prices on Acebil to list price and to fall in line with B&H. Also they say they are out of stock. They never did have the rig because it is dropped shipped. Beware Adorama's business practices. They obviously didn't know what had been listed on their website and the salesman I spoke to knew nothing about the gear or how to place an order. He put more than $2,000 on my credit card without sending me an invoice. Needless to say I have cancelled and gone with another dealer who maintains a consistent and lower price....avalive.com

jpvid
03-03-2016, 08:20 AM
Thats where I ordered the ST-7R from, tracking shows I will get it on Monday. i'll let you know what I think of it when I get it.

greytail
03-03-2016, 09:34 AM
Look and see how they have changed the price

greytail
03-08-2016, 02:56 PM
Did you get it yet?

jpvid
03-09-2016, 03:13 PM
They had to send it back when they realized they include the wrong power cable so there was a delay in me receiving it. Got it today, haven't had time to take it out of the box yet. Will update you when I try it out

greytail
03-09-2016, 03:38 PM
Yes, I heard about that...a whole bunch of customers got the wrong cable, apparently. It delayed my shipment, which is now on its way.

jpvid
03-09-2016, 08:40 PM
Just put it together, no real test other than putting it on my shoulder. One huge issue right off the bat, the viewfinder on the back of the camera won't be usable for me. Its too far into the rig for me to get my eye perfectly positioned into it. My head is just too big and fat I guess. Its not a deal breaker for me since I have not been using the back viewfinder much anyway. I found that the rear viewfinder has a "sweetspot" that you have to find when using it. I have the ORCA LCD shade on its way to me for any outdoor shoots so I should be good there. Other notes, build quality seems nice quickly looking at it and the shoulder gel material seems good. I have a shoot tomorrow not sure if I will use it for that, we'll see. Here are a few pics.111264111265

greytail
03-10-2016, 08:51 AM
Looks nice...how does it balance or feel? What battery do you have in the back? My Anton Bauer's are larger

Greg Smith
03-10-2016, 10:58 AM
Being able to use the rear viewfinder while handheld is the main reason I'd be interested in a rig like this, so I'd like to hear more from jpvid about why that isn't working for you. Is it something specific to your personal ergonomics that you think other people could work around, or just a fail for the rig in general? I assumed that was kind of the whole reason for the offset shoulder pad and long length and counterweight moment on this rig, but if it doesn't do what it's supposed to, I'll just stick with the more compact (but heavier and more complicated) setup I already have that uses a separate viewfinder mounted up front.

- Greg

jpvid
03-10-2016, 05:42 PM
To answer the question about balance, I think it is pretty well balanced, just a touch front heavy for me (thats without the external monitor mounted on the back - the pics have the monitor attached). If your battery is bigger it might be perfect, I have re-celled Dionic 90's for this setup. Remember this rig only comes with the v-mount battery plate right now, but I have a v-mount to gold mount (anton bauer) adapter plate and it works perfectly. I'm not sure what to say about the rear viewfinder situation, it might work better for you. Each persons head is a different shape, I brought the rig into work today and it was fine for one of my colleges. If I put my head right against the handle bar I can use it but its not perfect, or if I have my nose touching the edge of the viewfinder my eye then lines up and it works, its just not perfect for me. If you have used this camera you know that the rear viewfinder has a "sweetspot" where your eye has to be in the perfect position in order for everything in the viewfinder to be sharp, you can't move your eye position much. Its too bad Panasonic didn't make this viewfinder a touch bigger. Greg what is your setup? Are you using a Cineroid or some other external EVF? can you post a pic?

-John

greytail
03-10-2016, 06:15 PM
Groan! "Remember this rig only comes with the v-mount battery plate right". So does this mean I need an adapter for this battery?
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/341314-REG/Switronix_XP_L90S_XPL_90S_V_Type_14_4VDC_Lithium.h tml/
I have the v-mount version so I guess I am fine right?

jpvid
03-10-2016, 06:50 PM
You are good...

greytail
03-17-2016, 08:14 AM
How are you liking your shoulder rig? I am find the balance is still very much to the front. I cannot use the viewfinder. The LCD is fine except it is useless in sunlight, so I have fitted a shroud, but the edges of the shroud trigger the menu options! I find the rig quite heavy and tiring. I went on a mile walk with it and definitely felt it! Are you supposed to be able to do smooth walking shots with this...I certainly can't and very poor results compared with my Came-TV, a steadicam or a Ronin. The most I can do are pans and tilts and the OIS is still a must. A bit disappointed in the rig, but maybe I am expecting too much or need to practice more.

Greg Smith
03-17-2016, 12:15 PM
Sorry to hear that, Greytail. Achieving good fore and aft balance to minimize strain on my arms, and being able to use the rear viewfinder while shooting outdoors, would be the main reasons for me to want a shoulder rig like this one. Just in terms of steadiness and control, I'm actually pretty nearly OK with pressing the butt of the camera into my shoulder and using the LCD as a viewfinder most of the time, but it's at the very limit of my eyes' ability to focus on the screen when I do that -- and not so great outdoors. I'll probably just get a hood for the LCD and see if I can make do with that.

- Greg

Robert Bale Eventshd
03-18-2016, 07:22 PM
Custom made rig, made up from a few bits i had sitting around. $350 worth. All i need to do is fine where i can get a (the DC Power Plug ) to make up a power supply cable from, can any one help what or where I can get them from ? or what has the same connection. ?

greytail
03-20-2016, 03:01 AM
You could order the battery cable from Acebill. Or through b&h since they are handling Acebil now. I see that you have much the same config as the Acebil rig. How are you finding the balance?

Brad Forman
03-30-2016, 04:58 AM

I was able to create a useable Rig out of my old DSLR Rig by gaffing a 5 lb counter behind the shoulder mount. Works great and the monitor sits about 6 - 8 inches from my eyes. Cheap. Effecient. Comfortable. Stable.

ProShootingDigitalSince92
03-30-2016, 10:27 AM
Thanks much for all the sharing on this website!
Especially thanks to Barry! I've learned more about my DVX200 here than any other source.

At first I was frustrated with the DVX200 because I could not accomplish what I wished to do. However when teamed with the Video Devices PIX-E5 this becomes a whole different camera. Be sure to update the PIX-E5 to firmware ver 1.05 or later so that you can take advantage of 4:2:2 10Bit out. This is where you can finally see the camera's 12 stops of dynamic range and beautiful, sharp, very easily gradable UHD image.

I believe the duo of DVX200 and PIX-E5H add up to the best UHD run-n-gun camera out there.
With the PIX-E5H doing the heavy lifting of recording, the DVX200 is a dream.
Touch to focus works great as does image stabilization.
The DVX200 alone can't show peaking in touch to focus mode but the PIX-E5 can.
The DVX200 can't show waveform while other screen displays are on but the PIX-E5 can show waveform at the same time the DVX200 shows histogram, audio levels, white bal, etc, etc, etc.
The other thing that is GREAT about the PIX-E5 is that it takes advantage of the cheapest media currently available for recording - 2.5" SSD's. That's 1/5th to 1/8th the cost for media compared to some UHD cameras. And it is FAST to download those ready-to-edit ProRes 4:2:2 10Bit files via a USB 3 port. No additional reader purchase required.

My shoulder rig has slowly evolved to this configuration and is working well for my current needs.
Regarding the rig:
Built the arch for the shoulder pad from .25" x 1.5" aluminum bar and curved it as high as possible to allow me to use the LCD panel as a viewfinder.
Built a LCD Viewfinder with an open bottom so I can still use touch to focus capabilities
I gently hold the adjusting knob with my left hand and use my pointer finger to touch focus point
Focus distance and coverage area of this Viewfinder worked for me
V2 2.8X Viewfinder 3" LCD DSLR Camera Canon 5D R Markiii 7D Mark ii T5 Body D90
Used this arm to support the Viewfinder to protect the LCD
11" Articulating Magic Arm + Super Clamp for Camera LED Light LCD Monitor LF82
Here's the Eyepiece Cushion
Bluestar Extra Large Oval Microfiber Red Color Eyepiece Eye Cushion Viewfinder
Used thermoplastic sheet to make a mount for this inexpensive zoom controller:
Tripod LANC Zoom Controller Remote For Canon Sony 190P 2100E NX5C Canon XL1S XL2
The ridiculously high cost of camera batteries makes crazy so I knew I wanted a better solution. The RC community provided well.
Built a battery box that can hold up to four batteries but found that two batteries balance the rig pretty well.
I use one battery to power the PIX-E and the SRb. The other battery is regulated to 12.1v and plugs in to the external battery connector.
As I recall he DVX200 uses external power first until the voltage is unacceptably low then automatically switches over to internal battery. I never even noticed the switch in power as I was shooting. The two external batteries and one internal battery allow me to shoot for an 8 hour day with the camera and recorder off between setups.
Here's the batteries I use:
MultiStar High Capacity 4S 14.8v 10000mAh MultiRotor Lipo
Charger:
GENUINE AUTHENTIC SKYRC iMAX B6AC V2 6Amp ACDC LiPo NiMh Battery Balance Charger
Voltage Regulator:
New Digital-controlled Constant Current Voltage DC Step-Down LED Driver Module
This rig weighs about 18 lbs. with two external batteries.
Cheers!
Pictures to follow...

03-30-2016, 10:44 AM

03-30-2016, 10:52 AM
Yes, I did drill some holes in the side doors. Yikes! Oh well...
HDMI is secure now and the doors aren't floppin in the breeze.

03-30-2016, 10:54 AM
The PIX-E records four channels of audio. Two are from the dual channel Lectro SRb. The other two are generally mixed in at very low levels for ambiance and come from one built in mic and a Sennheiser Mkh 416.

Maybe some day I'll build a smaller and more elegant battery box but for now I need to go to work!

greytail
04-01-2016, 08:16 AM
Hi:
Have a question about your set up:The V2 2.8X Viewfinder 3" LCD DSLR Camera Canon 5D R Markiii 7D Mark ii T5 Body D90 you list and show mounted doesn't match the size of the DVX200 LCD, so is part of your view cut off?

04-01-2016, 02:57 PM
When I started thinking about making the Pull-Out LCD into a viewfinder I remembered i had a "V2 2.8X Viewfinder 3" LCD DSLR..." that was kind of an odd thing. The magnification optics required that the entire device be held a bit more than an inch from any surface in order for it to be in focus. Bought it for a DSLR but it didn't work. So... I held it an inch away from the Pull-Out LCD on the DVX200 and got the full LCD in view and in focus! That became the basis for the shoulder rig...
Fabricated a bigger hood extension with a felt padded slot which could slide down over the LCD. As you can see from the pic there is only top and sides - no bottom except close to the eyepiece where I put a Slik DQ-10 Mini Quick Release Plate. That way the home-made viewfinder hood is completely supported by the Noga Arm and can't put stress on the LCD even with my face pressed up against it. When the rig is on a tripod, I can quickly remove the viewfinder thanks to the quick release plate.
This setup works well for me and I rely heavily on the touch-to-focus and OIS capabilities of the camera. I've shot about seven 8-hour days and some shorter stuff with this rig so far and find it very manageable and relatively light.
btw greytail thanks for all your posts!

04-01-2016, 03:05 PM
One more thing. The flexible plastic eyepiece on the "V2 2.8X Viewfinder 3" LCD DSLR..." was NOT comfortable for me. Problem solved with:
Bluestar Extra Large Oval Microfiber Red Color Eyepiece Eye Cushion Viewfinder
However it fogged up badly when I tested it. Had to add one of:
Zacuto Anti-Fog Protective Covers, Pack of 3
to get rid of the fogging.

makeall6
04-08-2016, 09:10 AM
I just invested in the Zacuto Graphical HD and Axis mini. What a great piece of gear. Now my 200 is near perfect.

Brad Forman
04-25-2016, 05:58 PM
Has anyone tried flying the 200 on the ronin-m? Highly considering getting one but I'm not sure it will fit.

04-30-2016, 02:43 PM
The bad news... I have a couple alexmos 3-axis gimbals and can't imagine flying the DVX200.
The Good News... while recording external UHD ProRes422 10Bit, the in-camera image Stabilization works really well.

bpap
05-01-2016, 02:23 AM
Brad Forman
Has anyone tried flying the 200 on the ronin-m? Highly considering getting one but I'm not sure it will fit.

Hi Brad, have a look here
http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Sponsored-Workshop/V-Log-L-korrekt-belichten--Panasonic-AG-DVX200.html

to the german slashcam-forum. They used by this workshop a DJI Ronin M with the DVX 200.

Brad Forman
05-01-2016, 07:20 AM
Hi Brad, have a look here
http://www.slashcam.de/artikel/Sponsored-Workshop/V-Log-L-korrekt-belichten--Panasonic-AG-DVX200.html

to the german slashcam-forum. They used by this workshop a DJI Ronin M with the DVX 200.

Awesome! Thank you so much!

bpap
05-01-2016, 10:55 AM
Hi Brad,

please have a look to the pictures in the slashcam workshop.
May be they are using a DJI Ronin without "M" - the bigger one or you send a mail to them.

Brad Forman
05-04-2016, 11:55 AM
It's difficult to tell. But I think I'm going to get the original ronin anyway.

bpap
05-04-2016, 12:03 PM
They used an original DJI Ronin. But DJI offers three different sizes :
DJI Ronin, Ronin M and Ronin MX. The DJI Ronin ist the greatest for max load.
I think they used the big one - the DJI Ronin with the DVX200.

http://www.dji.com/products/ronin