PDA

View Full Version : HD or SD for wedding?

sirdna
09-26-2005, 06:31 AM
Hi everyone, This is my first post here. I've been reading everything I can from this site since I found it 3 weeks ago. As for my question.

I would like to get more in video production. I've taken classes at ProMax in Hollywood a couple of times and I'd like to to turn from a hobby in a business. I'm going to start off doing some weddings and maybe some local commercials.

Should I get a pair of DVX100a or wait for the HVX200 to come out? Is it worth the money yet for what I'm trying to accomplish?

Thanks,

SiR.dNA

GenJerDan
09-26-2005, 09:38 AM
One to think about for now: Have you yet seen an HD DVD player? Or other delivery & viewing method that your customers will be able to use?

And even when the things become readily available, will you know for sure your customers will have them?

I'd wait for the HD, and go SD for now.

EDIT: Well...you could spit out SD from the HD camera...but you'll be doing that for quite awhile. I'd rather get 2 DVXs, or one DVX and a lot of good ancillary equipment to start out.

sirdna
09-26-2005, 09:44 AM
Does the HVX200 offer anything better for SD? Any features? Controls?

GenJerDan
09-26-2005, 09:55 AM
Check the HVX200 forum above. Somewhere in there are some feature lists...I didn't pay too much attention at the time.

Kennedy
09-26-2005, 12:54 PM
Check the HVX200 forum above. Somewhere in there are some feature lists...I didn't pay too much attention at the time.

Better yet, go to the panasonic professional video website.

wabbit
09-26-2005, 01:19 PM
There is no delivery mechanism for HD right now, much less much of a market for it (few even have a HDTV). That being said, HD COULD open up in the next 3 years. It is a guessing game at best. You could get the Sony or JVC option for HDV to shoot weddings right now in HD, but that does involve all of the downsides that come with HDV.

You could get the HVX in December and shoot in HD but it cost prohibitive for event videography in HD since you will have to buy many P2 to be shooting all day in HD.

You could buy the HVX in December and shoot SD while the market is still pretty much all SD and then have a simple upgrade path thru purchasing the then cheaper per minute P2 cards when you have a demand for HD (obviously you can charge more for a HD wedding then an SD wedding).

You could save money and get the DVX right now and then buy an HD camera when the demand for HD appreciates. Probably the biggest difference between the DVX and HVX in SD is that the HVX shoots naitive 16x9 and the DVX shoots 4x3. Some prefer 16x9 for TV shooting, others think 4x3 is fine, purely an opinion thing.

Oh yeah, don't forget the DVX100b is coming out soon too. :)

You have many options, mostly based on cost and whether and when you think you will have a demand for HD content.

Best

sirdna
09-26-2005, 03:01 PM
What will the DVX100b feature?

wabbit
09-26-2005, 05:39 PM
https://eww.pavc.panasonic.co.jp/pro-av/sales_o/news_info/ibc/132.html

Best

galt
09-28-2005, 05:53 AM
Buy DVX's. You have plenty to learn, and HVX offers a whole new set of challenges you don't need. You will also need support equipment (Mics, tripods, monopods, figure about $3-5k) so unless you have BIG budget and lots of time, start now and deal with HD later.