PDA

View Full Version : DVX200 stopped recording suddenly

Jonny Gross
02-23-2016, 04:02 AM
So...the latest in my desperate quest for acceptable operation with this camera. I was filming an on-stage discussion with a backup cameraman. The event finished and about a minute later, while I was filming the audience chatting, the camera displayed a message that said "recording has stopped..." There was more to it, but it flashed and I missed it. So I start again and all's ok. It was luckily just after the event had finished, but I ask myself, what would have happened if it had been in the middle and I didn't have a second camera?

Is it the SD card? The camera itself?

Also, I had major problems getting acceptable white balance. The custom didn't work without a card and I had no time to get someone up there with a card. There were blue lights behind and warm lights on the faces, which confused it. The AWB similarly got confused and over compensated to the warm end of the spectrum, so I dialed in my own and it didn't look as accurate as it could have. Plus the lighting was difficult and this cam isn't a low light hero. Aside from the obvious upgrade in terms of tech and resolution (and picture quality course), my Z5 still had a faster and longer lens, better sound monitoring, no auto NR, and better WB control. I understand the limitations of the fixed lens format and the cost and difficulty of manufacturing a lens that will do the job and please everyone while keeping costs down...

Anyway, my question is, why did the damn thing stop recording suddenly? My SD cards are 128 and 64GB Class 10 U3 95MB/s 633x and I was shooting UHD on the 128 and HD 50mbps on the 64. Shouldn't be a problem, right?

greytail
02-23-2016, 04:55 AM
It could be a bad card..try another and leave it recording for an hour or two. You can never completely trust cards. I always use mine for a while just shooting stuff around the house before using it on a job. Always make sure you format the card in the camera. Who knows..had you used the card for something else in another camera or had it in a computer?

Jonny Gross
02-23-2016, 06:08 AM
No, formatted the night before in the camera. I bought the cards with the camera, so they're new. And it recorded for an hour and a half before it gave out.

kwkeirstead
02-23-2016, 12:51 PM
On the DVX200, if one card fails when you are in dual card recording, does the other continue to record?

Jonny Gross
02-23-2016, 02:20 PM
Apparently not...today both cards stopped.

Barry_Green
02-23-2016, 03:26 PM
On the DVX200, if one card fails when you are in dual card recording, does the other continue to record?
Yes it does.

I don't know what's happening in Jonny Gross's case, but by design the DVX200 will continue recording if one card fails.

Jonny Gross
02-24-2016, 12:33 AM
Yes it does.

I don't know what's happening in Jonny Gross's case, but by design the DVX200 will continue recording if one card fails.

Overheating maybe? Have you ever seen this happen before?

Jonny Gross
02-24-2016, 10:57 AM
I did a test at home, it happened again after an hour and a half or so. Does anyone have a solution? The Lexar cards are supposed to be good...

kwkeirstead
02-24-2016, 01:20 PM
Barry . . Good to hear that recording will continue on the remaining card.

.I recall reading somewhere that on the AC-AG160, if one card fails, all recording stops? Is that accurate?

Barry_Green
02-24-2016, 01:23 PM
Barry . . Good to hear that recording will continue on the remaining card.

.I recall reading somewhere that on the AC-AG160, if one card fails, all recording stops? Is that accurate?
On the original implementation on the AC160, they set up dual recording so that if either card fails, both cards stop recording. Mind-boggling, but -- that's what they did. Nearest I can tell, their reasoning was "well, if one card isn't recording, then you don't have dual recording anymore, so why not stop the second card too, so that at least the recordings are identical?" I mean, I can't think of anything else. I (and I'm sure others) explained in great detail how that was the exact opposite of what we want, we wanted dual recording for security/backup purposes, and so on future implementations (AC90, AF100, etc) it's implemented that recording will continue even if one card stops.

I don't know how it works in the updated AC160A, whether they changed it for that update or not.

Barry_Green
02-24-2016, 01:24 PM
Overheating maybe? Have you ever seen this happen before?

Never seen it, no, and I would be very surprised if it was overheating, as the camera is designed specifically for long-form recording. I'd recommend trying some other cards (different brand, while you're at it) to see if it can be traced to your particular cards?

Jonny Gross
02-24-2016, 01:44 PM
Ok, will do. I did another test and it went on for almost 3 hrs before I stopped it and declared it a success. I think I may have a taken the card out without turning the cam off first or something like that. Not as robust as XQD...but then, I never expected them to be. I'll try to be strict about removing cards properly both from the cam and comp to keep track and see if it happens again. And I guess I'll grab a couple more cards (Sandisk maybe) for backup. This is why I ask. If the cam's at fault, that's not good. If it's the cards, no problem, they can be replaced. Thanks for the help. Still teething here! Images are great though.

greytail
02-24-2016, 04:32 PM
I have had really good experience with the Transcends. You should be able to pick up 128GB for $50 or less. I use them in all my cams and have never had a failure. However, I would be leary of the little locking tab. Too much use of it can lead to separation of the card or a little piece falling off inside the camera, so I leave it alone!

Jonny Gross
02-25-2016, 12:27 AM
Hi, I have quite a few transcends. CF cards are great, lasted me a long time and never had a problem, and the slower SD cards I have of theirs are similarly great. Lexar was a recommendation but you're right. If it ain't broke... And yes, I tend to ignore the tab anyway. Seems fragile to me.

Still perplexed at why the other card was caused to stop as well.