PDA

View Full Version : Dvx200 + la7200 ??

mellodeque
12-26-2015, 03:39 PM
Hello,
Did someone tested DVX200 with LA7200 anamorphic (for DVX100) - if Yes, please send some footage ;) - in my "theory" - this combination should "do the work"....

mattcurr
03-03-2016, 09:27 PM
with UHD and 4K can't you just crop to 2:35:1/anamorphic? Will get around any other issues this adapter has (barreling, no 100 zoom, focus)

mattcurr
03-03-2016, 09:28 PM
for composition just whack a bit of low tack tape on the LCD for framing guides :)

JRJphoto
10-30-2016, 11:07 AM
I have today purchased a very nice, used, Panasonic AG-LA7200G off eBay with the intent to marry it to my AG-DVX200PJ. I will certainly keep everyone posted.

JRJphoto
11-09-2016, 05:27 PM
...I just received the LA7200 in the mail and tried it out on my DVX200. It works great. Just affix it to the front of the DVX200 lens, adjust the rotation of the front element, tighten the locking screw and you're good. I quickly discovered it works very well at F4.5, Z15.00mm up to DCI 4K. With macro on, you can focus on objects right up against the lens. I'll test infinity tomorrow, but the LA7200 is designed for infinity, so I doubt there will be issues. Following are stills from my quick and dirty test within the past hour.

Lens flare at Z15mm F4.5:

Focus set to extreme macro and I couldn't get the Apple logo close enough to the lens to reach critical focus without the shadow of the camera getting in the way. Probably no need for diopters:

Update 8:30pm

As I experiment with the adapter I am thinking I may need diopters. I believe the nearest I can focus with the adapter has greatly increased as I zoom in for more handsome composition.

mellodeque
11-11-2016, 04:19 AM
So, can You make some "real" street shots? in FHD and UHD.... i'd like to see details after LA7200 mounted to DVX200

Elvis Deane
11-19-2016, 02:25 PM
Thank you for posting this! I've been on the fence about whether or not to invest in the LA7200, and no one seemed to have tested the two together. Would love to see more of your tests.

JRJphoto
11-21-2016, 09:52 AM
Diopters are coming in tomorrow. I plan on doing more tests once they arrive and over the holiday weekend.

Barry_Green
11-21-2016, 01:13 PM
Y'know, the very first book I ever did was a little ten-pager or so called The Anamorphic Adapter Guide, specifically about using this LA7200 on a DVX100. So I used that thing a lot, and ... I find it hard to believe you'd get acceptable results out of it on an HD camera, much less on UHD! It was a curious build, and extremely cheap for an anamorphic adapter back then, but everything about it kind of screamed that it was just barely holding it together for a standard-def camera. I would think it would look pretty bad on a high-def camera. On UHD? Surely it turns the image into a sea of aberrational mush, right?

I'll be happy to be proven wrong, I mean, I hope it works out for you, it just seems unlikely.

If you have access to a pro resolution chart I'd love to see a before & after. If you don't, you can try the budget alternatives, a newspaper framed wide enough so the text is really small, and a closeup of a dollar bill; the dollar makes a great homemade resolution chart. The newspaper, being primarily black & white, should do a good job of showing if there are chromatic aberrations being introduced.

JRJphoto
11-21-2016, 03:05 PM
Exactly why I've waited so long to get one! The newspaper and dollar bill tests sound perfect. It does seem unlikely that an adapter intended for a SD camera would work for a UHD camera today, but that's why I'm here. And if nothing else it can be handy for some artsy experimental films :D

mellodeque
12-07-2016, 02:26 PM
JRJ.... what about more tests? - i'd like to see how "bad" or good - is the LA7200 with DVX200.... ;) for Barry: I know that LA7200 is not a good adapter - but for some (in my mind, weird) "projects" can be useable, it'll add the "vintage look" to shots.... ;) :) abberations etc.... - especially for emulate postapo "real" footage etc.... ()

JRJphoto
12-07-2016, 03:04 PM
Haven't been able to get around to more substantial tests. I've been working and sick and having to do both lol. I will get around to it because I want to see it just as much as you do! From what I can tell so far, it's as bad as some of the 80's/90's anamorphic films I've seen on BluRay recently...where you can really see the aberation. I like it, though. It's sort of a "style" that looks like a movie and isn't pristinely clear like I hate. I like my optics to have some character! It's definitely not for every project, but it DOES have a personality that I am getting used to. More soon!

JRJphoto
02-19-2017, 10:46 AM
I finally am getting around to testing.

Nicer JPG on Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Upq03w-o3qcks1QzIxczVfSjg)

With a quick RNI Films grade done on my iPhone:

Nicer JPG on Google Drive (https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B-Upq03w-o3qNXJqSWJrazMzNlU)

Elvis Deane
03-01-2017, 06:06 PM
Cool, it doesn't look bad at all. A little smeary in the corners, but she seems to be in good focus. How does it look in motion to you?

JRJphoto
03-02-2017, 04:42 PM
Looks like a movie in motion. Looks like a proper movie...even though thats just a bit of sublight and nothing else.

Old school anamorphic always seemed to have smeary edges to me. Die Hard is near the top of my list of anamorphic movies whose cinematography I look up to, and the technical ugliness of the image is hard to ignore. But, it's beautiful. Bladerunner is also this tent pole anamorphic show and the grittiness of it is something that, like Dia hard, should be ugly but it winds up being part of the movie's visual charm. New movies like Star Trek try to duplicate that charm by vomiting lens flares everywhere...but that's like an unattractive person wearing revealing clothing and dancing suggestively: it just reaks of "trying too hard" and nobody wants to be friends with a desperate person. Lol