PDA

View Full Version : Cards for the DVX200?

Xoomtell
11-11-2015, 03:46 AM
Hi

Are about to pull the trigger on the DVX200. I have allways used Sandisk Extreme Pro for my cameras. But what about the Lexar Professional 1000? Would the Lexar Professional 1000 128GB be OK to use with the DVX200? Is there a sizelimit for the DVX200? It is allmost half the price of the Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 MB/sec...and the Lexar says 150 MB/sec...

Thx in advance.

/Morten

greytail
11-11-2015, 04:17 AM
I have had good luck with the Transcend 128GB..You can sometimes get them on Amazon for $50.00. I have never had any issues with them. By the way, you can use the cheaper Transcends if you are not recording in 4k

Xoomtell
11-11-2015, 07:52 AM
Thank you @greytail anyone who would share experiences with the Lexar cards?

Barry_Green
11-11-2015, 05:08 PM
None of the claims like "90x" or "150x" mean anything as far as the camera is concerned. What you need is a UHS-3 card. That is all the camera is looking for. If one card claims 900x and says it is UHS-1, and another card claims "4x" but it is UHS-3, by all means get that second card.

Xoomtell
11-12-2015, 02:52 AM
Thx @Barry_Green. So this "Lexar 128GB Professional 1000x UHS-II SDXC Memory Card (Class 10, UHS Speed Class 3)" should be ok, I guess? It is a UHS-II but says it is UHS Speedclass 3? Even the Sandisk Extreme Pro says it is UHS-I, but still Speedclass 3? Im a bit confused....
http://www.bhphotovideo.com/c/product/1090740-REG/lexar_lsd128crbna1000_pro_1000x_uhs_2.html

:)
Morten

Barry_Green
11-12-2015, 07:22 AM
Yes that should work. And yes it is confusing, but as long as it is UHS-I or UHS-II (roman numerals) with a 3 inside the U, it should work.

Xoomtell
11-14-2015, 07:19 AM
Thank you, Barry.

:-)

Barry_Green
11-14-2015, 08:02 AM

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... I normally take the "thousand words" approach, but in this case, here's a picture. I've crossed out all the stuff that the camera doesn't care about, and highlighted the two factors that are important: the fact that it's an SDXC card, and the "U3" logo of the "3" inside a "U".

Technically you can record on an SDHC card, but I highly recommend SDXC instead; SDHC cards will split up your files every two to four minutes, which can be profoundly annoying in post. SDXC cards will make a contiguous file for 48 gigabytes, which is vastly more useful.

As for the "150X" and UHS-II vs. UHS-I, those are typically referring to how fast you can read the card off when you plug it into a computer. The camera doesn't care about that,, it only cares about MINIMUM SUSTAINED WRITE SPEED, which is what the "3 inside a U" designates. But a UHS-II card could potentially be read out faster than a UHS-I card, so that may come into play in post.

Xoomtell
11-14-2015, 08:24 AM
Thank you once again. Very instructive indeed!
I guess the splitting-files-up-thing was exactly what I experienced yesterday, when I tried the DVX200 for about hour. I had a hard time to get the camera record on the card I brought with me (A Sandisk Extreme Pro 95 m/sec - which I realized was only U-1). So I did only get two small files on the card - both in 1080 50P and I did not have time to get into the menu etc. I literally un-boxed the camera in the shop, so it was completely new.
Not a very good way to test anything I guess, but I did get an idea of how the camera was behaving. Felt familiar - like my old HMC 151 - just a bit heavier. I liked it...
Now I am really excited to see how the firmware update will make the image better from the DVX200. Im not really excited or convinced about the image quality yet, but I might be after the firmware update. Really hope to see some tests with the new firmware applied on Youtube/Vimeo next week. If possible - how will you describe the changes in image quality after the firmware update is applied? Is it a dramatic change or is just a subtle change? After having used HMC151 for years, changed to DLR and GH3 I miss the feeling of a "real" videocamera in my hands - with all onboard.

Thanks again - you have been very helpful!

:)
Morten

Barry_Green
11-14-2015, 10:29 AM
The most dramatic change in image quality will come from people developing scene files for the camera. It is extremely "paintable"; those who put in the effort will be able to tailor the image to exactly what they want.

The out-of-the-box look won't be that different, although the texture on the images will be much nicer and cleaner, I'm very happy with that change. Color accuracy will be better, and people will be able to easier match it to other professional cameras. But as for out-of-the-box, it won't be dramatically different -- it will still need being "painted", just like footage gets "graded". Same process, just that one happens in-camera and the other happens in post.

Xoomtell
11-14-2015, 12:42 PM
That sounds really great. That is what I wanted to hear :-)
I did a lot tweaking scenefiles with my hmc151 (from your very nice book) and after some time I learned how to get the best out of the camera and did most color and sharpening in post.
Is it possible to save and load scenefiles in the dvx200? I got the impression there is only six scenefiles and one has to change everyone with no save to card option? Can not wait for the first tests to show up - hopefully monday.

Barry_Green
11-14-2015, 05:21 PM
You can definitely save them to the memory card. You can save packages of six scene files, just like the HMC150 could. You can save eight packages per card.

Xoomtell
11-16-2015, 03:09 PM
Last question about cards. Would t be posible to recod ij the best resolution and bitrate the camera internally can offer with the Lexar 1000x U3 card? Fx 1080 50P 200Mbps?

Barry_Green
11-16-2015, 04:07 PM
Last question about cards. Would t be posible to recod ij the best resolution and bitrate the camera internally can offer with the Lexar 1000x U3 card? Fx 1080 50P 200Mbps?

As long as it's a legitimate U3 card, then yes it is supposed to work.

Xoomtell
11-18-2015, 12:48 AM
OK. Thx.
Lexar has just announced a new 128 GB U3 UHS-II with 2000X - (300 MB/sec). Do you think I should wait for that or could I get same results with Lexar 128 GB U3 UHS-I 1000x (150 Mb/s) card? The later is half the price....But if the 2000x card is the best to use (I am thinking of the 300 Mb/sec and the demand for fastest speed for 4K etc.)...???

Barry_Green
11-18-2015, 09:19 AM
Again, "2000X" and "1000x" and "300MB/sec" and "150 MMb/s" mean nothing whatsoever as far as the camera is concerned. Those are all marketing terms, and they are meant to imply that the card can perform "as much as" or "up to" 300MB/sec. It doesn't mean it WILL perform at 300MB/sec.

The only stat that matters whatsoever to the DVX200 (or, really, any camera) is what the MINIMUM SUSTAINED WRITE SPEED is... read speed doesn't matter at all, write speed is what counts. And the "2000x" is talking about what the maximum potential speed might be in some particular circumstance, but that is, again, utterly irrelevant -- what is important is what the MINIMUM, SUSTAINED write speed is. The speed at which the card will not go below.

And the statistic that tells you that is the U3.

Now, with all that said, a UHS-II card should potentially be able to be faster than a UHS-I card. But if the camera doesn't use that potential speed, what good is it? For camera purposes, none. But for offload speed, if you have the right hardware, you could offload cards faster.

So I would say for the same price, I'd rather have two 128BGB UHS-I U3 cards, than one 128GB UHS-II U3 card.

videoworks
04-11-2016, 06:14 AM
I had to sent back these sd cards: 64GB SDXC Samsung Pro Plus 95MB .Class 10 UHS-I U3. They are incompatible
, although the specs are matching Scandisk extreme pro cards.

nddirector
04-11-2016, 11:35 PM
Hey Gang, I got a few of these PNY Elite Performance 128 GB High Speed SDXC Class 10 UHS-I, U3 up to 95 MB/Sec Flash Card (P-SDX128U395-GE) https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00WWBCQEI/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_awd_BwjdxbXGK2JKW. Which clearly state u3 however when I put the card on he camera or states incompatible card, check speed error. They seem to record and work fine but the error alone is enough to keep me wonder whether or not I want to use these on a shoot. In have four of them and they all show the same thing. Am I missing something or does the dvx just want panasonic cards?

Thoughts?

Jonny Gross
04-12-2016, 01:50 AM
I have Lexar U3 UHS-I 128GB. I had a few problems in dual codec where it just stopped recording suddenly. I was also shooting simultaneous rec in 50p UHD and the cards stopped. It's fine if you're shooting B-Roll, but if it's an event or an ENG situation, you don't want to miss your money shot because of a dinky card. Now I know people have said that it doesn't matter, but if you look at the maximum write speed of your card in MB/s (B&H lists them) and then think about how much leeway your camera needs as a base, constant speed in any given format, you might want to go up to UHS-II. I realised that my cards were enough, but if you push too far and try to record in dual, simul or heavy framerates like 50p, you can wind up with the damn thing stopping. So, better to be safe than sorry, I've ordered a 2 pack from B&H of UHS-II cards.

Bob Nilsen
04-13-2016, 01:54 AM
I have a DVX200 on order and should receive it in a few days. Has anyone tried a 256 gig SD card in one yet? Is there a limit to the size of the SD card?
Thanks
Bob

bpap
04-13-2016, 03:14 AM
Have a look at http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?342541-A-Few-questions-about-the-DVX200-(Batts-Cards-Noise-Modes)

Bob Nilsen
04-13-2016, 06:24 AM
Have a look at http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?342541-A-Few-questions-about-the-DVX200-(Batts-Cards-Noise-Modes)
Thanks for the link.
Bob

EdRicker
04-17-2016, 02:01 PM
Hi guys,
This post feed has been very informative. One question:
Can some U1 cards record in full 4K? I'm using a U1 Transcend 600x 32GB Class 10 90MB/s and I can select and record 4096x2160 on the DVX200 with no apparent issues. The footage looks good to me...
I would just hate to be limiting myself if for some reason there's a slight disadvantage to recording 4K on a U1 card that supports it...grain, banding, or something like that.
I don't have a U3 card to compare the footage quality, but I don't want to buy one if this U1 works just as well.

I'm aware of another DVX200 user who is also able to record full 4K with a U1 card.

Bob Nilsen
04-17-2016, 02:14 PM
I now have two 256 U3 Lexar cards, a 128 U3 Lexar and a 128 U1 Lexar. I can record with all the cards in UHD (didn't try the 4K) until they are filled. I have not seen any problems with the footage yet. The DVX200 did complain about the U1 card, but still formated it just fine. The 200 will split the UHD file at 50 gigs, if you format them in the camera. If I use my computer, it will split at 4 gigs.

Bob

cookinghusband
04-19-2016, 06:43 AM
if you need to record 4K60P better use UHS-II card, the contacts on them are different to UHS-I cards.

If you just want stable performance at 4K30p most good quality U1 card that have 95mb/s speed should do.

the U1 U3 rating is quite misleading some of the good quality U1 cards can out perform low quality U3 cards.

The same applied to A7R2 and A7S2 when you want to record higher bit rates for 4K

Drengsson
01-21-2017, 05:12 PM
I have Lexar U3 UHS-I 128GB. I had a few problems in dual codec where it just stopped recording suddenly. I was also shooting simultaneous rec in 50p UHD and the cards stopped. It's fine if you're shooting B-Roll, but if it's an event or an ENG situation, you don't want to miss your money shot because of a dinky card. Now I know people have said that it doesn't matter, but if you look at the maximum write speed of your card in MB/s (B&H lists them) and then think about how much leeway your camera needs as a base, constant speed in any given format, you might want to go up to UHS-II. I realised that my cards were enough, but if you push too far and try to record in dual, simul or heavy framerates like 50p, you can wind up with the damn thing stopping. So, better to be safe than sorry, I've ordered a 2 pack from B&H of UHS-II cards.

I am having this problem a lot. But I am going on a live shoot that i cant have this failing. Did new cards fix this problem for you in uhd 50p?
What cards did you get?
thanx Drengsson

pancam
01-22-2017, 11:34 AM
striking how low card speeds measure with the Blackmagic Speed test
This is a rate Kingston SDXC U/3 64Gb card
measurement with my iMac inside card reader

Marshwader
01-23-2017, 09:45 AM
The only cards I have found to be totally reliable are the Sandisk Extreme UHS I U3 128GB cards (V30 or not makes no difference). I have had Lexar cards of the same speed rating fail and UHSII cards are totally unsuitable as the camera doesn't have the necessary extra connectors so that these cards default to 50mb/s.