PDA

View Full Version : Good Transitions

traviscool
11-05-2015, 11:16 AM
I haven't dropped in here for years! Happy to be back. I've been doing a lot of motion graphics lately for my job; and I'm looking for some creative but still professional transitions.

I make promo videos for speakers which usually involves the audio and video tracks of the speaker inter cut with interesting and related video clips (for example if someone is talking about family I cut a family over top of what their saying that sort of thing). The organization I work for is fairly conservative but I try to make these videos as creative as possible. I find I'm using lots of cross fades in my editing and I think that's fairly boring. I'm looking for input and suggestions for cool fades that are still professional.

Any ideas?

combatentropy
11-05-2015, 01:20 PM
The cut.

Fancy transitions are so 1980s and really have always been a form of bikeshedding (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parkinson%27s_law_of_triviality). The things that matter are: content, audio clarity, lighting, camera angle, and editing structure.

I despise video transitions. When I see one instead of a cut, it actually makes the video seem cheaper to me. I may feel more strongly than others. I don't even like the dissolve (although a fade-in at the beginning and a fade-out at the end are usually the right choice).

traviscool
11-06-2015, 10:27 AM
I do agree with you for narrative film making but I think for non narrative projects it can really help to break up something that might otherwise be monotonous (if done well).