PDA

View Full Version : Fusion 8 Studio and/or Cinema4D R17 Studio

Timo Flink
09-07-2015, 12:28 AM
I am getting Fusion 8 Studio for my work. What do you think, should I also use Cinema4D R17 Studio to complement Fusion or not?

AndreeOnline
09-07-2015, 02:45 AM
I am getting Fusion 8 Studio for my work. What do you think, should I also use Cinema4D R17 Studio to complement Fusion or not?

Pick one:

1) Yes definitely.
2) Not necessary.

Based on, you know, the 1000 things you want to do/achieve that you completely fail to mention in your post.

Consider adding 4-5 paragraphs prior to your question. I hope you realize it's an impossible question the way it stands now.

Timo Flink
09-07-2015, 02:55 AM
Right :)

Let me rephrase the question. I'm assuming one still needs some 3D software to design objects to be used in Fusion, as its own 3D creating-from-scratch tools are not up there with the likes of C4D. So, would you complement F8 with C4D in that you would create objects in C4D, and import them to F8?

silyn
09-07-2015, 05:31 AM
Creating models (C4D, 3DS, Maya, Blender ) and using them (Fusion, Nuke, AE, etc.) are two different set of skills. There are CGI pros who have both. In my experience that's all they do. However, some prefer or like or want to create models only. Some of those who eventually understand the limitations of 3D modeling software when it comes to compositing, expand their skills and learn things like Fusion. However, I know people who don't want to do thiat and quite happy with 3D modeling.

Starting from compositing software and expanding skills to 3D modeling is also quite common. But not necessarily. For example, personally, having rather adequate compositing skills, I'd never start creating 3D models - this is something that requires years to perfect (even if you can learn to do simple things quickly). Instead, when I need models, I collaborate with pros who know how to do it.

So, the answer you've got - yes, you can, but not necessarily - is a good one. It all depends on what you want to do. Also, you can start with Fusion and decide later if you want to develop 3D models and buy software to do that (which is rather expensive).

AndreeOnline
09-07-2015, 07:04 AM
Cinema 4D isn't the most popular 3D app out there, but it's strong in motion graphics and it has—at least according to me—a very clean and accessible interface/workflow. That might be important if you are just starting out in 3D (based on your question you're not locked into an app already).

Cinema 4D also has very strong After Effects integration.

Timo Flink
09-07-2015, 08:51 AM
Ok, thanks. I admit I am rather new to this, so if not C4D, then which program would you choose? 3DS? Maya? Something else? Fusion 8 Studio is a must for my work. Like Resolve for grading.

AndreeOnline
09-07-2015, 08:57 AM
Ok, thanks. I admit I am rather new to this, so if not C4D, then which program would you choose? 3DS? Maya? Something else? Fusion 8 Studio is a must for my work. Like Resolve for grading.

I would choose C4D myself—that is what I use as a one-man-band. I just wanted to mention that Maya and Max have a larger user base.

El Director
09-08-2015, 08:54 AM
I've been using Blender and it works great. I've been using it for 10 years though, so take that for what it's worth. But it's free, and you can import/export just about any formate you can imagine. I typically purchase models online and if they're a weird format, I'll convert to an obj in Blender, which I know will work with Fusion or anything else.