PDA

View Full Version : uploaded 2 hours ago - DVX200

john deaver
07-02-2015, 04:37 AM
perhaps an update soon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ISM8Bn4OBpc

philiplipetz
07-02-2015, 06:54 AM
Thanks John. At first I thought it was a fan video but it is on the Panasonic Pro Youtube channel.

Emanuel
07-02-2015, 06:55 AM
http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/sales_o/broch_pdf/ag-dvx200.pdf

Cryogenic Filmworks
07-02-2015, 09:13 AM
I would love to have one if I can afford it when it comes out.

Stephen Mick
07-02-2015, 09:30 AM
The video needs more Inception "BWAH!"

philiplipetz
07-02-2015, 10:15 AM
I hope and pray for 4:2:2 HD mode. The information is there and the processor can write that fast because it is 4k capable.

TFilipiak
07-02-2015, 11:12 AM
4/3's sensor. I wonder if it's the same one that's in the GH4 or G7? Plus Vlog. Not bad.

USELESS RANT: Dear Panasonic, would it have killed you to take this camera and lop the lens off to make an inter-changeable lens version also??? You would've made a lot a people soooo happy...

Anyway, I predict Panny will sell a lot of these.

philiplipetz
07-02-2015, 11:14 AM
4/3's sensor. I wonder if it's the same one that's in the GH4 or G7? Plus Vlog. Not bad.

Anyway, I predict Panny will sell a lot of these.

They say it is new sensor with greater sensitivity. No word if it is Pannie or the new Sony tech.

mcgeedigital
07-02-2015, 11:43 AM
Hmmm...thought it would be able to better than 12 stops.

TFilipiak
07-02-2015, 11:49 AM
They say it is new sensor with greater sensitivity. No word if it is Pannie or the new Sony tech.

The brochure says 12 stops of DR with V-log. That is probably what the GH4 would get with the addition of V-log.

That's why I was wondering if it wasn't one of Panasonic's own 'off-the-shelf' 4/3's sensors. (Does Sony make 4/3 sensors?)

philiplipetz
07-02-2015, 12:02 PM
(Does Sony make 4/3 sensors?)

yes

philiplipetz
07-02-2015, 12:38 PM
Definitely 4:2:0 8 bit internal, and 10 bit 4:2:2 external with internal recording disabled.

From spec pdf: http://pro-av.panasonic.net/en/dvx4k/pdf/ag-dvx200_spec.pdf

External Output Video Signal:
8 bit 4:2:2/10 bit 4:2:2 (switchable menu)
*HDMI output of UHD/59.94p/50.00p becomes 8 bit 4:2:0.Also, when 10 bit 4:2:2 is selected, recording is not possiblewith the main unit.
Recording Video Signal: 8 bit 4:2:0

Bassman2003
07-02-2015, 12:39 PM
Pardon my ignorance... What does the image preview/viewfinder look like when one shoots in V-log? I am aware one can put a LUT on the footage in your NLE to get a desired look but does the footage look like the milky white mess while you are shooting? Or is there a LUT applied in-camera just for preview purposes? Thanks.

stoneinapond
07-02-2015, 12:57 PM
Pardon my ignorance... What does the image preview/viewfinder look like when one shoots in V-log? I am aware one can put a LUT on the footage in your NLE to get a desired look but does the footage look like the milky white mess while you are shooting? Or is there a LUT applied in-camera just for preview purposes? Thanks.

It will be the milky white mess. :smile:

You could add a LUT to an external monitor if it supports that function.

DLD
07-02-2015, 02:53 PM
The brochure says 12 stops of DR with V-log. That is probably what the GH4 would get with the addition of V-log.... A couple of days ago, someone on the GH4 V-Log thread predicted that V-Log won't come out until after the DVX-200 premiers out in the flesh. It made sense then. It makes more sense now.

harddrive
07-02-2015, 03:33 PM
From that it says:

Effective Pixcels: 1549 megapixcel (FHD), 871 megapixcel (UHD/59.94p),
1289 megapixcel (UHD/29.97p), 1335 megapixcel (4K/24p)

I suspect it means 15.49Mp, 8.71Mp etc, but it seems that all the UHD modes are windowed compared to normal HD?

That's backed up in the other pdf which talks about wide angle 28mm equiv in HD, 29.5mm in 4K - but that new brochure fails to mention the equiv wide angle focal lengths will be slightly tighter still for QFHD (31mm), and greatly so for UHD 60p.

Max wide angle of about 38mm equiv in 60p if my maths is right....?

Bassman2003
07-02-2015, 03:38 PM
It will be the milky white mess. :smile:

You could add a LUT to an external monitor if it supports that function.

Hey Thanks. That does not seem very 'run & gun' friendly to me.

samtheman
07-02-2015, 11:25 PM
Hoping for internal 10bit but so far it doesn't look like it has it. If that's the case, what external recorder would be best to support all frame rates in 4k?

combatentropy
07-03-2015, 05:12 AM
Definitely 4:2:0 8 bit internal, and 10 bit 4:2:2 external with internal recording disabled.

Lame.

philiplipetz
07-03-2015, 06:09 AM
Lame.

I did not make clear that it apparently records internally at 4:2:0 8 bit when externally recording at 8 bit 4:2:2, it apparently is only 10 bit external that turns off internal recording. I keep saying apparently because there is only these few lines in the specification from which to draw these conclusions.

stoneinapond
07-03-2015, 10:03 AM
That does not seem very 'run & gun' friendly to me.

I think there are quite a few people, myself included, who have concerns about monitoring, in my case on the GH4, alone. On immediate release, not sure I would use it in situations where I wasn't completely confident of what I was seeing using the the available exposure tools. Perhaps we will all become adapt at using it unplugged after a while.

Bassman2003
07-03-2015, 10:26 AM
Seems like it is a chicken and egg thing. If the V-log can come up with better images, why aren't they baked into a scene profile in-camera? Does it really need the post addition of a LUT to squeeze everything out of the image?

Barry_Green
07-03-2015, 11:55 AM
Seems like it is a chicken and egg thing. If the V-log can come up with better images, why aren't they baked into a scene profile in-camera? Does it really need the post addition of a LUT to squeeze everything out of the image?

Who says it isn't? Who says it doesn't? Who says it does? Nobody knows anything yet... speculation based off speculation is bound to lead nowhere good. More will be known about it as time passes, so there's no reason to panic over unsubstantiated speculation...

Bassman2003
07-03-2015, 12:08 PM
No panic :) I was wondering this about all Log type recording after watching The Camera Store's video about the GH4 getting V-log.

Darren Levine
07-05-2015, 07:26 PM
i'll say this... if it achieves a solid iso3200, i'll be hard pressed to Not be onboard

TomLenham
07-06-2015, 04:58 AM
Hey Thanks. That does not seem very 'run & gun' friendly to me.
imo V-log isn't run n gun friendly no matter what camera you're on. For solo operator work I go with burnt in every time and make sure I expose correctly in camera. Not teaching you to suck eggs, just sayin'

Bassman2003
07-06-2015, 05:10 AM
I agree. Maybe Panasonic will include some V-log profiles with LUTs already applied. Sort of like turning on DRS in their existing cameras.

TomLenham
07-07-2015, 07:48 AM
Yes - I think Canon got this right with their HDR mode on the C100

philiplipetz
07-07-2015, 08:12 AM
The thing that I hope the DVX200 has is a full complement of waveform monitors

Erik Naso
07-07-2015, 09:12 AM
i'll say this... if it achieves a solid iso3200, i'll be hard pressed to Not be onboard
If the camera does well at ISO 3200 that would make many people very happy. My biggest issue with MFT is noise.

philiplipetz
07-07-2015, 09:25 AM
If the camera does well at ISO 3200 that would make many people very happy. My biggest issue with MFT is noise.

Pannie says the new sensor is about 3/4 of a stop better.

Also, the down sampled HD image will have significantly less noise.

joe 1008
07-08-2015, 11:19 AM
Pannie says the new sensor is about 3/4 of a stop better.

Also, the down sampled HD image will have significantly less noise.

That's still not so much, given that a M4/3 sensor is about two stops slower than FF and one stop below S35. We have cameras like the Sony Alpha7S and Canon C100 as a reference. A dedicated video sensor in M4/3 should reach very useable ISO 6400 at least.

With a lens which aperture is arounf f/4, ISO 6400 is kind of a necessity IMO.

True North
07-08-2015, 11:53 AM
Does anyone know if the lens on this camera is a par-focal design?

I haven't been able to find anything in the literature

joe 1008
07-08-2015, 12:28 PM
Does anyone know if the lens on this camera is a par-focal design?

I haven't been able to find anything in the literature

This was discussed as a mere speculation: Probably there is a kind of electronic compensation, so the lens should behave like a parfocal one, without being it.

True North
07-08-2015, 08:17 PM
This was discussed as a mere speculation: Probably there is a kind of electronic compensation, so the lens should behave like a parfocal one, without being it.

Hey Joe - I think you might be confused with auto-gain compensation to make up for the fact that the lens on the DVX200 is not a constant aperture lens. Panny successfully implemented an auto gain compensation function in the AG-AC90 and I would guess that they would be implementing something similar on the DVX200....but at this point, you are correct in stating that it is only speculation

A Par-Focal lens is one that retains it's focus throughout the entire focal range of the lens.

joe 1008
07-08-2015, 10:01 PM
Hey Joe - I think you might be confused with auto-gain compensation to make up for the fact that the lens on the DVX200 is not a constant aperture lens. Panny successfully implemented an auto gain compensation function in the AG-AC90 and I would guess that they would be implementing something similar on the DVX200....but at this point, you are correct in stating that it is only speculation

A Par-Focal lens is one that retains it's focus throughout the entire focal range of the lens.

Totally clear about that. If you know the focal derivation of a lens at any given focal length you can also compensate for that - with the AF motors for example. A true parfocal lens would probably be too expensive. I was also speculating about the above mentioned auto gain function when the first threads of the DVX200 appeared here on the forum. If everything is well applied the DVX200 could deliver an almost perfect but electronically tweaked high end image. That's one of the advantages of a fixed lens design.

combatentropy
07-08-2015, 11:51 PM

http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?335737-AG-DVX200-4K-Large-Sensor-Handheld-Camcorder&p=1986537975&viewfull=1#post1986537975

Josh Bass
07-09-2015, 12:35 AM
I guess we still don't have a price yet? There's a place called AVAlive that lists it at 4995 if you google "DVX200 price", other than that, don't really see anything.

wschmid
07-24-2015, 03:08 AM
Well one will need a preview lut applied if v-log-l is enabled - to be able to see a rec709 picture. The Blackmagic Pocket seems to do that simila. Otherwise the user will not be able to adjust the video really. The Shogun has such a preview lut and support also v-log, so that combination of the Shogun and the DVX200 would make sense together with 10bit 422 (without 10bit v-log will add limied value only. But that is no run and fun combination anymore).

joe 1008
07-24-2015, 05:43 AM
So, where's the first serious footage for a hot weekend discussion? ;)

Barry_Green
07-24-2015, 09:52 AM
So, where's the first serious footage for a hot weekend discussion? ;)

Hopefully nowhere. Footage from a preproduction engineering sample is in no way representative of the final footage from a properly-finished, properly-tuned, properly-finessed camera. Any early footage is bound to be disappointing, and pointlessly so because the disappointment would come from unfinished footage.

People may not like it, but the only reasonable and rational way to go about this is to wait for the camera to be actually producing images that are representative of what the final product will look like.

Maybe they'll be releasing footage from this week's DoP tour at the factory, maybe not, I don't know. But I wouldn't expect them to unless they're very confident that the images represent what they intend the final camera to look like.

If you want to discuss footage that matters, all I can tell you is -- wait until at least September. I've been down this road with them many, many times (through the DVX100B, HVX200, HPX500, HPX170, HMC150, HMC40, AC90, and AF100 at least). And this is the way it works -- first is a hand-built engineering prototype, then there's a second hand-built engineering sample (the stage they're at today) where many or most of the features are at least enabled, even if they're not working fully yet. Then there will be a couple of months of refinement of those prototypes while they gear up the production line. Then, around a month before it rolls out, they'll produce some models that are representative of what the final product will be. THOSE are the ones where you can maybe expect to see proper footage from.

And based on their anticipated release schedule of "October", that's why I say -- don't bother looking for footage, or looking at footage, until September at the earliest.

The only time I've ever seen them vary from this schedule was with the AF100, where they held a similar type of DoP tour as what they're doing now, and people released footage. And then the internet complained about the footage for months. Hopefully Panasonic learned the lesson and won't be releasing preproduction footage again, but ... they may, we'll see.

dhardjono
06-30-2016, 12:39 PM
Long time not been at this post since ac 160 came out now i am back because i just bought the dvx 200 i been using mostly 5d3 canon dslr and when i get tired i use ac 160 . so glade barry doing the tutorial on panasonic website. My question is what a good setting for wedding i like to shoot on 4 k but i stay 1080 for now . I am confuse about the fast scan and regular mode in the recording setup. Can any one help with a set up for weddings getting it tomorow morning the camera.

JRJphoto
06-30-2016, 01:16 PM
Long time not been at this post since ac 160 came out now i am back because i just bought the dvx 200 i been using mostly 5d3 canon dslr and when i get tired i use ac 160 . so glade barry doing the tutorial on panasonic website. My question is what a good setting for wedding i like to shoot on 4 k but i stay 1080 for now . I am confuse about the fast scan and regular mode in the recording setup. Can any one help with a set up for weddings getting it tomorow morning the camera.

...Scene 1, full manual, natural color, fill screen with white and push AWB on either preset A or B, zoom in and focus, zoom out and compose, make sure you're not reverse rolling. It's not hard. The hard part is dealing with the bride's mom!!!!! jk

And the difference between fast scan and everything else is the camera uses more resources to scan the image faster.....slower scan is what gives you jelly roll in your whip pans....a faster scan largely prevents this from happening, but because the camera is working harder, you can't have nice things like VFR. You'll never learn a camera in any auto modes, so you need to just dive in to full manual. If from years of using a 5D you don't know the relationship between film speed, shutter angle and aperture value, then....well....then you're kinda screwed and need to learn. DVX200 is just a camera...and it works like any other camera. Memorizing WHERE the controls are and what they do is part of the curve....but it's basically no different than it is compared to Arri Amira. Sure, there's differences, but you make an image with the same principals. Also, for a wedding, I hope you have wireless audio equipment or at least a way to directly record from the venue's PA system.

Props for having the balls to go shoot a complicated event having just received the camera the previous day.

Oh, also...adding to a year-old thread and veering off-topic is called hijacking. Don't hijack threads. Start new ones. People like me have to go three pages deep to help you. Not fun.

dhardjono
06-30-2016, 01:33 PM
yes i did not know where i was this is some one else topic like i say have not been to this forum since 4 years ago sorry for hijack and thanks for info maybe i make my new topic in main page