PDA

View Full Version : Where are all the Camera Announcements?

shorty15
04-11-2015, 12:13 PM
It's the first day of the show yet there is nothing anywhere about the stuff that has been shown. What gives?

Stephen Mick
04-11-2015, 12:38 PM
The first real day of the show is Monday. That's when the exhibits/show floor opens. We'll probably see some announcements trickle in tomorrow afternoon, but don't expect much until Monday.

mik303
04-11-2015, 01:37 PM
It's the first day of the show yet there is nothing anywhere about the stuff that has been shown. What gives?

Panasonic, Sony and Red are releasing new cameras and specs on Monday for sure.

I'm curious to see if Digital Bolex is releasing a new firmware update with more features and frame rates as well. They seem like an innovative company that needs to stay fresh in the new 4k world.

Blackmagic will have something out of left field I'm sure. They have made a ton of money off of cameras. Every filmmaker and their Grandmother has a BMPCC. Probably a 5k something coming out.

Andrew Stone
04-11-2015, 02:05 PM
Yes Monday morning is when the marketing explosion occurs. Past two years running Blackmagic was a juggernaut over NAB. A have a feeling they may take a different tack this year but just a hunch.

The major camera manufacturers have been shifting their release dates of cameras over the past few years from their traditional release times. It used to be that they would have cameras under a glass case in the early fall and release them at NAB. And then some would announce their cameras a couple of months before NAB.

Panasonic has been quiet over the past number of years since the AF-100 with the obvious exception of the two s35 Varicam models which seem to be aimed at the rental market. Hoping they are going to come out with a hybrid ENG s35 or 1" sensor camera line with a Varicam sensibility.

Someone said to me a few weeks ago that NAB 2015 was going to be all about drones and brushless gimbals. We'll see in a couple of days.

DLD
04-11-2015, 02:09 PM
There should be a bunch of streaming shows tomorrow.

alohype
04-11-2015, 02:21 PM
NAB is like a stock market. On one day your camera can dramatically drop in dollar. Never go up though :)

maranfilms
04-11-2015, 03:47 PM
I'm catching a 6:00am flight to Vegas tomorrow morning, but like everyone stated, I'm not going to bother going until Monday. I will post whatever new cams are shown by Tuesday.

swaneon
04-11-2015, 06:04 PM
Anyone know what time the Panasonic/Sony keynotes are?

SJX
04-12-2015, 03:25 AM
Too busy shooting now to worry of new cameras that come in 6 months. :)

harddrive
04-12-2015, 05:19 AM
List of the press conferences here - http://www.nabshow.com/news/news-conferences

It seems Sony are 2pm Sunday, Black Magic 9.30 and Panasonic 10am Monday?

[EDIT] Early report about the Sony press conference here - http://www.nabshow.com/news/news-conferences

DLD
04-12-2015, 05:34 AM
BMD is alleged to announce a 4K Pocket cam.

Zak Forsman
04-12-2015, 05:51 AM
are you basing that on this? or something else?

New Blackmagic MFT cameras coming today (and fake? 4K Pocket camera specs). (http://www.43rumors.com/ft2-is-that-the-new-4k-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-ii/)

BMD is alleged to announce a 4K Pocket cam.

vanvideo
04-12-2015, 08:45 AM
I just ran across this.
Real?

http://panasonicprovideo.tumblr.com/post/116206425587/dvx100-something-new-at-nab

Gweilo66
04-12-2015, 09:03 AM
“Now, in a world where 4K shooting is fast becoming the norm, we’ve decided to go for a new breakthrough, and try to create another disruption in the industry and hit like the DVX100. I hope you’ll come to the Panasonic booth at NAB and see what we have in mind.”

Simon Shasha
04-12-2015, 09:06 AM
I just ran across this.
Real?

http://panasonicprovideo.tumblr.com/post/116206425587/dvx100-something-new-at-nab

Well, that is the official blog of Kunihiko Miyagi, Panasonic's "Director of Pro Imaging". So yeah, real.

swaneon
04-12-2015, 09:16 AM
List of the press conferences here - http://www.nabshow.com/news/news-conferences

It seems Sony are 2pm Sunday, Black Magic 9.30 and Panasonic 10am Monday?

[EDIT] Early report about the Sony press conference here - http://www.nabshow.com/news/news-conferences
darn I thought Panasonic would be today

hawaj
04-12-2015, 09:28 AM
http://www.eoshd.com/2015/04/there-is-a-new-4k-panasonic-camera-coming-at-nab/#prettyPhoto

Sumfun
04-12-2015, 10:41 AM
That's a nice tease. Now please deliver!

Terry_Lasater
04-12-2015, 10:52 AM
Another DSLR (albeit 4K) is not, in and of itself, "a new breakthrough"...

harddrive
04-12-2015, 10:57 AM
Another DSLR (albeit 4K) is not, in and of itself, "a new breakthrough"...
No, but if it was central to a whole purpose designed system that made a DSLR much more usable and ergonomic (think a much improved YAGH) it could be a breakthrough. And give much of what people want at a lower cost than a dedicated "AF200". We'll see.

Sumfun
04-12-2015, 11:12 AM
The guy is director of pro imaging, so I don't think the new product will be a DSLR.

vanvideo
04-12-2015, 11:23 AM
6K for under $4,000? Just a thought.

mcgeedigital
04-12-2015, 12:57 PM
Right. 6k. Lol.

Giriki
04-12-2015, 01:14 PM
I don't care how amazing and affordable it is, S35 or bust.

hawaj
04-12-2015, 01:16 PM

+1

alaskacameradude
04-12-2015, 01:21 PM

I hear you, and I actually agree, after shooting S35, that is what I want in any camera
I buy. However, you have to remember Panasonic is a M4/3 company. They are in kind
of a tough spot as they have existing customers who have made investments in M4/3 glass
that they need to keep happy. And on the other hand, they probably would like to draw
some of us 'S35' types in as well. My guess (and this is only a guess) is that they may
try something where you can select either S35 or M4/3 in a menu and the camera
will use different areas of the sensor, depending on which you have selected.
Something similar to JVC's new Super 35 camera which can also crop in and use M4/3 lenses.

DLD
04-12-2015, 01:50 PM
are you basing that on this? or something else?

New Blackmagic MFT cameras coming today (and fake? 4K Pocket camera specs). (http://www.43rumors.com/ft2-is-that-the-new-4k-blackmagic-pocket-cinema-camera-ii/) I said "allegedly", lol.

It makes sense for them too.

harddrive
04-12-2015, 02:00 PM
However, you have to remember Panasonic is a M4/3 company. They are in kind
of a tough spot as they have existing customers who have made investments in M4/3 glass
that they need to keep happy.
Remember this is coming from the professional section - same that the Varicam comes from. M4/3 comes from the consumer side.

I agree with what you say about one set of existing customers, but from the pro division I find a s35 camera (with Varicam sensor) more probable. Like Sonys FS7 is to the F5, maybe this will be to the Varicam? Next question will be "how much.....?" :)

pulpfiction007
04-12-2015, 02:17 PM
Remember this is coming from the professional section - same that the Varicam comes from. M4/3 comes from the consumer side.

I agree with what you say about one set of existing customers, but from the pro division I find a s35 camera (with Varicam sensor) more probable. Like Sonys FS7 is to the F5, maybe this will be to the Varicam? Next question will be "how much.....?" :)

The AF100 came from the professional section and was M 4/3.

harddrive
04-12-2015, 02:38 PM
The AF100 came from the professional section and was M 4/3.
Yes, but using components from the consumer section - GH2 sensor and GH1 image processing. I understood it only came about because the pro section hadn't got any other large sensor available at the time? Now they have, and apart from being in house the Varicam sensor is designed primarily for video, not stills.

vanvideo
04-12-2015, 02:50 PM
Sony's live broadcast from Vegas just mentioned the PXW-X320, an XAVC replacement for the PMW320. It looks the same, a 1/2" chip shoulder mount cam with the new code.

*- edited to correct the designation.

Jaime Valles
04-12-2015, 04:17 PM
Why? Every other camera manufacturer already makes S35 sensor cameras. You have plenty to choose from. A big part of the reason to use Micro 4/3 is the small size of the lenses compared to S35 or FF.

sonuxxx
04-12-2015, 04:33 PM
New black magic go pro? http://www.eoshd.com/2015/04/here-is-the-new-blackmagic-cinema-camera/

alohype
04-12-2015, 05:34 PM
There should be a rule set up by administrators at NAB. Whoever from camera/gear manufacturers uses a phrase "game changer" should be kicked out of it and banned for the following year.

pulpfiction007
04-12-2015, 06:01 PM
There should be a rule set up by administrators at NAB. Whoever from camera/gear manufacturers uses a phrase "game changer" should be kicked out of it and banned for the following year.

Ha ha, or bloggers who do the same should have their blogs shut down for a month as well! Last year there were a few promised "game changers", most of which were highly expensive luxury add on devices or accessories. Yeah, they were nice units...but mainly just made life easier for high budget productions. Not a game changer in the bunch.

onemanband-videomaker
04-12-2015, 11:07 PM
Ha ha, or bloggers who do the same should have their blogs shut down for a month as well! Last year there were a few promised "game changers", most of which were highly expensive luxury add on devices or accessories. Yeah, they were nice units...but mainly just made life easier for high budget productions. Not a game changer in the bunch.

game changer , LOL . this Industry here is all about marketing releasing things little by little and only if they really have to. Why? because there is the big money stuff to protect: it has always been like that. So let's talk about the size of the sensor(s) for example : how big the sensor of the iphone is? when, WHEN we'll open our eyes and react with louder laughs to these people? Before the D90 (nikon) there was absolute garbage sold for a LOT of money, but the good stuff was already there, just not for the prosumers. So what now? do we STILL need to salivate about sensors and that xavc nonsense (a proprietary container? reallly?) remember the size of the iphone sensor, and the size of the iphone lens (and compare it against a .. say.. pmw-EX3?)

mojo92.1
04-13-2015, 08:31 AM

Believe you me... The announcements are coming:)