PDA

View Full Version : Mic Capsule (Blimp?)

KingVidiot
09-14-2005, 01:36 PM
Is one of these really necessary, or is a good fuzzy cover sufficient for most situations. I was thinking of making one if the commercial ones are too expensive.

Are there other good options?

ptalsky
09-14-2005, 01:50 PM
King,

When I started I just went out and bought the Sennheiser Blimp and Windsock, and I've been very happy with having both available, but generally, I probably over-bought for most purposes (and they are very heavy, relatively speaking).

But, I do use them on every exterior shot I mix/record, so I have to say they are indispensible (but you can probably go with less expensive models). Also depends on your mic, etc.

MattC
09-14-2005, 02:33 PM
I think either the Sennheiser combo or the Rycotte combo is one of the best investments in audio you can make. In many respects it's more important that your choice of mic. If you want good location audio, bite the bullet and get a good wind protection set-up. It will last you forever if you take care of it and you will be able to use it with future mics you may purchase.

Matt

wabbit
09-14-2005, 03:12 PM
Absolutely neccessary for good location audio...period. There are some users on here that started a thread on a build your own zeppelin. The user seems very happy with his results.

If you are willing to spend a little more here's a new "zepplin" that a lot of people are excited about.

http://www.trewaudio.com/catalog/items/item765.htm

Good luck