PDA

View Full Version : cinesaddles and the dvx

shell
09-07-2005, 04:46 PM
Has anyone tried out a cinesaddle with the dvx? if so, would you recommend it?
I am a wheelchair user and even though i have a tripod that fits onto my chair, it still makes for bumpy movement. also are there any generic or similar models to the cinesaddle because it sure ain't cheap!

khmuse
09-07-2005, 05:29 PM
I have looked at the Cinesaddle a number of times, but the price always scares me away. I don't think the Cinesaddle will really offer much in the form of isolation; for that you could try some low density open cell foam (the silicon variety, might be interesting) shaped to conform to the body of the camera.

While not a wheelchair user, one thing that I use often to support the camera is a simple 15 lb sandbag. They are always around (just steal one off the nearest C-Stand), they are relatively complaint and they can work wonders in a number of situations.

Barry_Green
09-07-2005, 08:15 PM
The CineSaddle, used properly, is extremely good at providing glass-smooth footage. There's a shot from the DVX using the CineSaddle in ZombieHunterMovie.com; we strapped the DVX to the hood of the Bronco for the shot where he's pulling into the abandoned town. It's rock solid. The CineSaddle is expensive, but it works.

Icarus2005
09-07-2005, 08:45 PM
Nice to hear, Barry

did you rent it?
or did you have tears streaming down your face as you wrote out the check? :)

The first time I walked up to one of the those at Byrnes & Sawyer, I thought "what's this?" with genuine intrigue. Then I saw the price tag. Next thing I remember was paramedics standing over me giving me oxygen! :)

Taylor Moore
09-07-2005, 09:30 PM
I think Jarred made a DIY version out of a beanbag chair....

Barry_Green
09-07-2005, 10:45 PM
We needed it, we bought it. I knew going in that it was a $300 bean bag, but heck, the thing does what it says it does, and it's way less expensive, less complicated, and more useful than most car mounts. Used it dozens of times, it's paid for itself probably 20 times over.

Expensive, yes. Overpriced? Probably. But the world is full of gear that doesn't do what it says; the CineSaddle actually does do exactly what it says. So on the "was it worth it" scale, the answer is "oh yeah."

pmark23
09-08-2005, 06:19 PM
Go to the grocery store and buy a bag of rice or beans ($1). If you're worried about people snickering, put it in a cushion cover ($2).