PDA

View Full Version : Snowpiercer Look or Color Correction or Lut

GaryinCalifornia
10-24-2014, 12:32 PM
I didn't care for the film... but saw this photo last week... the look I'd like to go for... sorta of a Color/Sepia look... was wondering if there is a LUT for it or how to do it in AE...

dsp_418
10-24-2014, 11:04 PM
I wouldn't call this a sepia example, but anyway... do you have a picture of your own to share in order to do a quick test on it?
I would work on contrast, color tone, desaturation, and if you have something to share, I'd give it a try just in case that could be helpful.

Erik Wittbusch
10-25-2014, 03:47 AM
This "look" depends highly on the production design and can't be achieved through postprocessing only.

See the surface of the gangway, the clothes and the kind of light that comes from above.
This is the key to such a look.

You can help this in post with a kind of "bleach-by-pass" look. It comes from the good old analog
times when film was developed and the silver was bleached out after. If you bypass this bleach
process, some of the silver appears as black particles in the image. The darker the areas, the more
black.

Here's a tutorial how to achieve this look in DaVinci Resolve. You can copy this look in AE too:
https://vimeo.com/35281947

GaryinCalifornia
10-25-2014, 03:59 AM
No footage yet... trying to branch out on my own as a director instead of a producer for hire... have some things in place now... but tired of people wanting to give you 10% of the budget and want a 100% control of the project...

I might be able to get a simple Alexa package for a weekend... but that's through a post house and that would mean I'd might have to bring on this producer... who won't bring money, if they did I could suffer through it I hope... lol... but like I said like to branch out on my own...

Might even try a test if a friend gets a GH4 in the next couple of weeks...

Thanks guys for the ideas and the tutorial...

dsp_418
10-25-2014, 08:20 PM
As Erik said, good lighting is really important and nothing is gonna save the day if that step is missing or simply wrong.

Other than that, you can color grade your footage, but bear in mind that if light setup is not the proper one, color grading won't magically gives you the result you're looking for.

This is a 5min. PS CC, as you can clearly notice one can play with colors, but no chance one will get the same result starting from a different lighting situation: