PDA

View Full Version : Canadians using USA post offices

ChronicleCowboy
09-25-2014, 06:21 PM
Im Canadian & I have a tripod in transit from amazon.com to a usa post office. I have questions for people who have done this sort of thing and would appreciate your comment if you know what you are talking about. I plan on walking across the boarder picking up the tripod and walking back. So I wont be there for more than 48 HRS and cannot take advantage of the 800 duty free dollars. Im really confused as to what has duty and what doesn't. The tripod i bought is a Benro S8 (manufactured in china) so its not exempt through the free trade agreement as far as i know. Im really confused and pissed off i cant get a strait answer. the tripod is 445 dollars, i just wanna know how much tax and duty I will be paying. But the CBSA website is bullshit and i cant figure out what a tripod would be classified under eg. is it electronics or sports or toys or outdoor living, wtf?

also somthing really weird to me is that so far all i paid to amazon was 445 just the list price. it had free shipping and no tax was added. so am i paying tax to canada or USA?

Egg Born Son
09-25-2014, 09:05 PM
Why not just throw away the box and call it luggage instead of an import?

kwkeirstead
10-05-2014, 05:22 AM
Because Canadian Customs reads DVXUSER too and the tripod could be confiscated.

If you walk backwith just a tripod, don't you think that will look suspicious?

It's not a good idea to try to play games with Customs (any country).

I order all sorts of stuff from B&H and it comes to the door. I can't recall ever having to pay duty.

I do see, however, that B&H has this listed at $625 USD/$703 CAD. Their terms read "The product price does not include customs, duties and/or taxes"

At $445, it's a deal.

I would be interested in hearing what the outcome is.

BrianMurphy
10-05-2014, 06:03 AM
Keep it in the box. Go to Canada Customs and pay the duty. The duty will be 5% get and your provincial sales tax in your case 9.5%. When you order from BH they charge you to do customs clearance along with the delivery. At BH they don't collect the provincial tax just the GST. This in my opinion is the best way to buy in the USA. Vistek sell Benro products in Canada though they don't have all the models. I ship to my sister in Jay Vermont and bring stuff in when American merchants use UPSor FEDEX who ripp you off with brokerage fees. Don't know where you are cowboy, but for the gent above, since you are in Hudon you can also ship via UPS and then do your own custom clearance without brokerage fees by advising UPS you will clear it befor or refusing delivery and telling the driver that you will clear. You the go to 32nd Ave in Lachine UPS HQ, pick up papers, go to Canada Customs in Dorval off Sources pay the GST a & PST get the document stamped and go back to The UPS counter and get your package. You can only do this if you are near the port of entry location that UPs uses to warehouse your goods.This sounds lengthy but when you consider the minimum charge for a $100.00 item cleared by UPS is close to $70.00 it is woth the trouble. Biggest selling point in Canada for BH is their delivery service as well as price. The S8 is $445.00 US at BH.

ChronicleCowboy
10-16-2014, 11:06 PM
the duty should be zero and taxes should have been 13% i think. Anyway i went across the boarder got the tripod. At the American side i said what i was doing and he let me in, on the Canadian side i said all i did was go over and pickup a tripod...then he said okay, bye. I asked what do I do now? he said go home...lol so yeah i got the tripod tax free 445 american was the final I paid, pretty sweet. Im still really unsure of the rules and regulations and think a lot depends on the dude you talk to at the boarder. In Vancouver the boarder crossings are packed so they gotta decide quick what there gonna do with you.

TheDingo
10-17-2014, 02:27 PM
You can buy the same tripod in Canada for essentially the same price...

Benro S8 Tripod $470 from Vistek (http://www.vistek.ca/store/Tripods/274155/benro-a373fbs8-videotripod-kit-a373fb-aluminum-single-tube-tripod.aspx)

ChronicleCowboy
10-17-2014, 06:28 PM
shit i forgot about vistek. i kinda wrote them off cuse there stock is minuscule compared to amazon or B&H. I still probably saved money cuse shipping costs in Canada is so slow and expensive.

Batutta
10-29-2014, 08:53 AM
I'm in Canada. I use Amazon prime and it's totally worth it for the free two day shipping. Sometimes I get stuff in a day and their return process is painless. Their Canadian stock has improved greatly in the past few years so I usually order from there to avoid duties, and their prices are pretty competitive. If ordering from the US, if at all possible I use the US Postal Service. Fed Ex and UPS tack on a bunch of brokerage fees and crap. Also, any purchase under a 100 dollars doesn't pay any duties. Some sellers will put the value of everything under 100 to avoid duties but, obviously that's risky.