PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Listings at Website?

Nachosgrande
08-20-2014, 11:06 AM
What are your thoughts on videography studios who list their gear at their website?

AndrewGentle
08-20-2014, 08:22 PM
Well, it's handy if they rent out gear... But if the clients want to dictate what equipment a videographer is using, personally I think they're crossing a line.

Nachosgrande
08-22-2014, 11:59 PM
Well, it's handy if they rent out gear... But if the clients want to dictate what equipment a videographer is using, personally I think they're crossing a line.

My thoughts as well......thanks.

Josh Bass
08-23-2014, 01:51 AM
Depends who those "clients" are. I work with both individuals on the end client side who need stuff done and don't know a camera from a pizza, and production companies who have specific needs, and therefore, yes, sometimes specific cameras/formats/CODECs to fulfill those needs/be compatible/match past work. Kinda silly to just on principle to say they're crossing a line just 'cause someone tries to dictate what gear you use without proper context, happens all the time.

AndrewGentle
08-24-2014, 04:34 PM
Depends who those "clients" are. I work with both individuals on the end client side who need stuff done and don't know a camera from a pizza, and production companies who have specific needs, and therefore, yes, sometimes specific cameras/formats/CODECs to fulfill those needs/be compatible/match past work. Kinda silly to just on principle to say they're crossing a line just 'cause someone tries to dictate what gear you use without proper context, happens all the time.

We're talking videography here, I was excluding most work commissioned by production companies (except BTS). I have no problem with videography clients them having format and codec requirements, that's fine. Even low light ability. But if someone told me I NEEDED a 5D mk II to shoot their band or that was the end of the story and wouldn't take my advice, I'd probably turn the job down and take my RED Scarlet home...

Nachosgrande
08-24-2014, 09:08 PM
Thanks for the advice, both of you. I should have clarified that I'm just trying to determine if it's best to brag about what equipment you own to get more business, or just let the work speak for itself. Apparently the answer is circumstantial.

Josh Bass
08-25-2014, 12:09 AM
Just playing devil's advocate here, but again, I wouldn't necessarily get all put off if someone as described above did have a specific cam they wanted used. . .if there was a good reason for it. Perhaps they're trying to match other footage that was shot that way, etc. etc. Generally I try to work with people as much as possible on stuff like that, unless they're just being totally unreasonable.

As for listing on the website, probably doesn't hurt, though to me, those "in the know" would ask anyway what kind of gear you have (if it weren't listed), and those not in the know couldn't care less. Also make clear that you're willing to use whatever they require (unless you're not, and you insist on using only your gear--I wouldn't play it that way though. . .what if someone who wants to hire you needs it shot on a Canon, and all you have is Sony? Etc.).

There are also those who abide by the philosophy of "sounding bigger than you are", meaning if you only list x y and z on the site, that appears to be all you have, but if you don't list anything or simply say "can provide any gear required" or something vague (cause you can, if you live near rental houses), makes you sound like some high falootin' big production entity (which to some folks is a good thing).

I guess we also have to acknowledge the world we live in and say is listing that stuff on your site thief bait? I.e. "Hmm this guy has this camera eh? And here's the listed address for that person. ..hmmmmm".

TheDingo
08-25-2014, 08:20 AM
I am sure that thieves love people posting their address and all the high priced gear they keep there... :-)

Which is why I have two business cards: one with my full address, and a "web" version with only my phone number and email address ( clients get the full address, new contacts get the "web" version )