PDA

View Full Version : CCD Suggestions

Ryan Farnes
08-05-2014, 09:36 PM
I've only shot aerials out a Cessna's open window...I don't fly a multirotor or anything. As such, I am very keen to shoot with a CCD camera as it gives rock solid acquisition in every frame with no rolling shutter or jello warbling. I've shot with the HPX-170 at 720p60 conformed to 24p shooting with faster shutter speeds and then stabilized in post and seem to be able to get decent results.

http://youtu.be/g6V1xNCGLX0

Problem is, the 170 is pretty low res even at 1080 let alone 720. I'm thinking of giving the Blackmagic 4K camera a try if the opportunity presents itself as it has the global shutter. My biggest problem with aerial footage I see is jello. I know many of you have resolved vibrations and such that you can shoot smooth footage with CMOS sensors, but for higher altitude handheld from a Cessna, I'm afraid it will compound the jello I see and get in even less stressing conditions.

Do any of you fly CCD cameras for image stability, and if so, which models?

firehawk
08-08-2014, 01:25 PM
No one is chiming in so I'll throw in my .001 cents worth. Besides the hpx170 and hmc150 the only other low cost options that come to mind are some JVC units for CCD cameras. After that I think you have to step up to 2/3 CCD cameras and the $$ go up, as well as size (Panasonic AJ series). However, so should the quality.

Ryan Farnes
08-11-2014, 09:12 AM
Cool, thanks for the suggestions.