PDA

View Full Version : Hollywood Camera Work Dvd

Jarred Land
08-31-2005, 12:19 PM
Click Here To Read Article (http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/hollywood/)

XCheck
08-31-2005, 12:56 PM
Great review, Jarred, and I couldn't agree more!

By the time I get to volumes 5 & 6, my head usually hurts, but as you said: it's a fantastic reference, not meant to be digested in a single sitting/viewing. I've seen volumes 1 - 4 numerous times, and every time I learn or notice something new. There are many things I am going to try on my zombie flick that I learned from this course.

Per also started a new discussion board similar to dvxuser.com (with same software behind the scenes), but devoted entirely to the subject matters discussed in the DVDs. It's only open to those who purchased the DVD set, and I am sure it will bring a lot of additional knowledge to those who don't have the time/money to go to a film school. I think it's perfectly reasonable alternative to formal schooling in film making.

lucidz
08-31-2005, 01:08 PM
if anyone has this used for sale please let me know.
after buying my mic, i've been grounded for months, can't spend much money now! :(

taubkin
08-31-2005, 06:45 PM
I am sure it will bring a lot of additional knowledge to those who don't have the time/money to go to a film school. I think it's perfectly reasonable alternative to formal schooling in film making.

Hey, I go to film school and I'm impressed. Ever since I say their demos I've been trying to get one of those, maybe with the discount I might find them more reasonable, who knows. That excerpt of volume V is "whoa" from beggining to end, especially after you watch the complete sequence and see how simple it seems...

tony404
08-31-2005, 06:58 PM
I was thinking of taking weekend cinematographery classes 101 one sat and sun and then 102 another weekend. It will cost me about $400 . do you think this would be better money spent?

XCheck
08-31-2005, 08:08 PM
I was thinking of taking weekend cinematographery classes 101 one sat and sun and then 102 another weekend. It will cost me about $400 . do you think this would be better money spent?I'd say yes (meaning the DVD is better spent money than a weekend course). But it may depend on your objective. While closely related to cinematography (angles, compositions), the DVD set does not cover lighting, filters, modelling of light, etc.

If you are interested in camera work (DP), the DVD set may not be enough.

craigbowman
08-31-2005, 08:25 PM
This set is as important as Barry's book and you will wind up with "gotta have crane and dolly itis!"

tony404
08-31-2005, 09:21 PM
I'd say yes (meaning the DVD is better spent money than a weekend course). But it may depend on your objective. While closely related to cinematography (angles, compositions), the DVD set does not cover lighting, filters, modelling of light, etc.

If you are interested in camera work (DP), the DVD set may not be enough.
this what its teaching :
this is the 101
Before you begin your project, learn the basic principles, technologies, and techniques of shooting film. Topics covered include film vs. video, understanding film stocks and processing, basic camera function and operation, understanding lenses, setting exposure, using filters, basics of shot composition, fundamental lighting principles, and set etiquette and procedures. While no class can make you a cinematographer in a weekend, you will gain the basic knowledge you need to start shooting film, and the foundation for more advanced workshops dealing with more specific aspects of cinematography

102:
Want to learn more about the visual language of film and make your stories more compelling? This workshop goes beyond typical production classes to show you how shot design, composition, and lighting are used as both aesthetic and narrative tools. Discussions of design principles and concepts, and screenings of examples of different techniques will help you develop a unique visual style to enhance your storytelling. This workshop will change how you see the world around you!

Barry_Green
08-31-2005, 11:17 PM
This set is as important as Barry's book and you will wind up with "gotta have crane and dolly itis!"

Hey Craig, thanks for the plug.

I just ordered this set too. Looks extremely well done.

finn_mccool
09-01-2005, 07:16 AM
It's sensational. I've gone through the first one-and-a-half DVDs, and it's taught me tons about filmmaking already. Highly, highly recommended.

dolby
09-02-2005, 09:15 AM
I just got my copy today and 20 minutes into it, I have already learned a lot.

dolby

tony404
09-02-2005, 04:29 PM
this what its teaching :
this is the 101
Before you begin your project, learn the basic principles, technologies, and techniques of shooting film. Topics covered include film vs. video, understanding film stocks and processing, basic camera function and operation, understanding lenses, setting exposure, using filters, basics of shot composition, fundamental lighting principles, and set etiquette and procedures. While no class can make you a cinematographer in a weekend, you will gain the basic knowledge you need to start shooting film, and the foundation for more advanced workshops dealing with more specific aspects of cinematography

102:
Want to learn more about the visual language of film and make your stories more compelling? This workshop goes beyond typical production classes to show you how shot design, composition, and lighting are used as both aesthetic and narrative tools. Discussions of design principles and concepts, and screenings of examples of different techniques will help you develop a unique visual style to enhance your storytelling. This workshop will change how you see the world around you!

So would the dvds be a better buy, a noobie wants know :)

.Alex
09-02-2005, 07:26 PM
Great review Jarred, thanks.

I've just watched the sample clips and it does look like an excellent set of dvds and with the DVXUser discount, what a top buy!

Got my order in now, can't wait for them to arrive.

Cheers

.Alex

glass
09-02-2005, 11:38 PM
I've had this set for a couple of months, and I'll second what everyone else is saying. It is a far better value than a weekend course, or a week long course for that matter. Yes, you'll still need to add lighting references, but for getting a firm grasp on framing and blocking this is the most useful thing you'll ever get. The site is exactly right...one of its greatest strengths is that it uses unchanging CG models, so any twinge of emotion you get is entirely from the camerawork, and you can go back (I should say you will go back) at any time to get new inspiration or refresher information.
Maybe you will end up with gotta-get-a-crane-and-dolly-itis, but I personally think static is boring and handheld looks like crap 90% of the time, so here's how to do it right. :thumbsup:

gonzoish79
09-03-2005, 01:48 AM
I have this for sell if anyone wants to purchase send me an email at gonzoish79@yahoo.com.
One of the dvd's didn't play when i purchased them they told me to send it back. Instead of replacing that one they sent me a whole new set.

vuzz
09-03-2005, 09:51 PM
I have thise set and I would also like to say how great it is, you will never watch a movie the same way. One thing you need is to watch them over and over and pay attention. So much info is thrown at the viewer that if you space out for a few seconds you loose it. But hey thats what rewind is for.

\V

Isaac_Brody
09-06-2005, 12:34 PM
Looks like a good resource. It seems pretty overpriced though. I did a little searching and you can get it cheaper here.

http://www.highend2d.com/dvd_store/cinematography/4.html

You can enter HIGHEND3d in the school acc code to get that discount.

Gordon JL
09-06-2005, 01:34 PM
So what other DVDs or Videos should independent or aspiring filmmakers like me see? The kind that teach you filmmaking. So far, I have this DVD set and Visions of Light on my must-buy list... But are there other tutorials/guides/documentaries that are on a video or DVD medium?

Also, I was looking on eBay for this item, and found two auctions. The first auction seems very odd, because there are several bidders with 1 or 2 ratings who keep bidding on this item; almost as if they are all the same person (the seller), just to raise the price of the auction. Originally, I had thought that the item was in demand, but now, I'm hesitant to bid on the auction, because it seems like the seller is attempting to raise the price. I mean, it's still a lot lower (possibly the lowest you can find online), but I still feel ripped off because of this. Can someone take a look and tell me if I'm just being paranoid; or if they all really are the same person?

What doesn't make sense is that a single bidder kept raising the price of the auction (bidding constantly over HIMSELF); which isn't possible, since eBay automatically helps you help UP TO your maximum bid; so it isn't possible to just have one person bid over and over again to raise the price; it doesn't work. Unless, there is such a thing as anonymous bidding?

Owen
09-07-2005, 10:52 AM
Stay away from those ebay auctions -- the seller has two ebay names (toledorocket21 and frontlineproductionsny), the first of which was banned so he started the second account. Notice how he built up his feedback on random 99 cent auctions and then listed this set? He's done that at least 4 times in the past 2 weeks, always uses the same photo for the set of DVDs, and keeps changing the "item location." Those auctions have scam written all over them.

The only legit set I've seen on ebay recently went for over $400 (link (http://cgi.ebay.com/Hollywood-camera-work-camera-blocking-6-dvd-set_W0QQitemZ6425359226QQcategoryZ617QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem))

Gordon JL
09-07-2005, 04:41 PM
Owen, on that auction you posted, there was a bidder, Nalyom, who bidded over himself 10 times; perhaps to raise the price. Am I missing something here? And who would bid on this for over $400, when a person would easilly find it for much less?

Frontlineproductionsny does seem very suspicious; but even if he was trying to raise the price, does that necessarilly mean I shouldn't buy from him, since the price is still much lower than other places?

perholmes
09-07-2005, 05:37 PM
Hi Guys,

This is Per Holmes from Hollywood Camera Work. Thanks for all your kind words! I just wanted to drop a note that many of the eBay auctions are in fact fraud. I think it's anti-trust if I discourage aftermarket sales ;-) but we've had several people call because they bought on eBay, sent a check or money-order, and the seller disappeared. It just breaks your heart. We've also reported those sellers to eBay (who don't seem to be in any kind of hurry BTW), and I really hope that if you must buy on eBay, you at least do yourself the favor of not buying from someone anonymous or who doesn't accept PayPal. Of course I'd rather that you got it from Hollywood Camera Work, and with the discount it would probably be cheaper than second-hand anyway. Then you can also join the new Hollywood Camera Work user-group at http://forum.hollywoodcamerawork.us which is dedicated to camera-work, and where I'm doing lots of blocking-exercises and training-sessions etc.

I really want to thank you guys for everything you say -- this training took years to make, and I personally took a huge gamble in putting it together -- and it means a lot.

Best,

Per Holmes
Hollywood Camera Work

Owen
09-07-2005, 08:14 PM
Owen, on that auction you posted, there was a bidder, Nalyom, who bidded over himself 10 times; perhaps to raise the price. Am I missing something here? And who would bid on this for over $400, when a person would easilly find it for much less?

Frontlineproductionsny does seem very suspicious; but even if he was trying to raise the price, does that necessarilly mean I shouldn't buy from him, since the price is still much lower than other places?

I'm just pointing out that frontlineproductionsny is the exact same person as toledorocket21. Notice that toledorocket21 sold a few sets of hollywood camera work and then got suspended. The exact same auction is now being posted under the new user name. Same image, same writeup. No feedback on either person is from someone who actually got a set of these DVDs.

The nalyom bids are probably just a case of somebody who kept deciding to up their bid. Since it's all on proxy some people just do stuff like that to nudge the price up until they are the highest bidder (instead of bidding their highest price point first and letting ebay do the rest).

I just took another look around -- frontlineproductionsny has now been suspended as well. I don't doubt that a good ebay deal pops up now and then on this set, you just gotta be careful with those "too good to be true" offerings.

Bill_Hooper
09-08-2005, 04:05 PM
If you are serious about directing you should get these DVD's. And the forum that Per set up is excellent - he's already posted a few templates and a blocking exercise - and he's great about giving feedback. You can access the forum for free if you purchase the DVD's.

Bill

TajJackson
09-10-2005, 02:02 AM
If you are serious about filmmaking, these DVD's are a must. Buy them now, You won't regret it. There is so much information jammed pack that it requires multiple viewings like a previous poster has said already. I love this DVD set and I'm not even being paid to say this!

earon_k
09-10-2005, 07:06 PM
I bought a set of these from Per Holmes about a month ago. I have to say that they are top notch and very informative. I'd recommend them to all.
earon

Rasquachemedia
09-10-2005, 08:03 PM
thnx for the article Jarred

Are any of you who have bought or considering buying this dvd set into documentary filmmaking? I kinda got the itch to buy it, but think it might be over the top and too sophisticated for documentary work. Would you say this really for fiction film production?

any feedback would be great.

Bill_Hooper
09-10-2005, 11:06 PM
Yeah, this is for camera blocking and character blocking for fiction. The first DVD has some general stuff that could applicable to any filmmaking, but overall, no, this is not for documentary filmmaking.

J.R. Hudson
09-11-2005, 12:00 AM
I agree not for Doc work; but it has opened my eyes onto using the camera with some creative movement. I think I could translate this to doc run and gun work.

Rasquachemedia
09-12-2005, 02:00 AM
thnx guys you just saved me a few hundred bucks!

jdh3334
09-12-2005, 09:04 PM
Wow...... This DVD looks excellent.
I bought a crane recently and looking for instructional tips. Now, I'm thinking about buying a dolly... but I might have to make the choice between buying the DVD first to learn more about how to use a dolly... So many decisions!

blckhawk542
09-14-2005, 07:42 PM
I saw this product lurking around on this forum a long time ago...it looks scrumtious!

Good review Jarred.

Ernest_Acosta
09-15-2005, 02:33 PM
I had these dvds for 4 months and they are excellent. They are also working on other dvds soon to be released. One more source of good information is Steven Katz's Cinematic Motion. This book is a great followup to "Shot by Shot". It basically covers most of what is in Hollywood DVDs.

comicfan711
09-16-2005, 07:37 AM
Hey, I just wanted to warn everyone about a situation I've discovered on E-bay. A few weeks ago, I tried to buy Hollywood Camera Work there, and got ripped off by a guy named Rob Balis (from Bloomfield, NJ) for over $200. I paid by money order, and then the guy disappears from e-bay (no longer a registered user).

At the time of sale, his user name was ToledoRocket21, but I have traced him to at least two other user names. He seems to switch usernames every couple of weeks. He'll run a bunch of short auctions, and then as soon as those auctions are up, he disappears and starts a new identity. The first thing he always does is buys a bunch of cheap $.99 items that give him immediate positive feedback. Then he sets up shop and starts his scam all over again.

The reason I'm mentioning all this is that he continues to sell Hollywood Camera Work under different identities, and he continues to rip people off. So, if you're looking to buy it cheap on e-bay, I'd be sure to research the seller, make sure that it IS NOT Rob Balis...and whatever you do...DON'T SEND A MONEY ORDER!

For more info on this guy, you can check out this list of complaints against him:
http://www.traderlist.com/RobBalis.html

Thanks everyone!

Angrius
09-16-2005, 09:17 AM
Is this the guy?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hollywood-Camera-Work-Film-TV-Editing-Camerawork-DVD_W0QQitemZ6433014609QQcategoryZ617QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Ernest_Acosta
09-16-2005, 09:26 AM
Report this to Ebay. If you sent him a postal money order. It is mail fraud which is a federal offense, punishable 10 to 20 years in jail. If it was a postal money order contact the IG for the post office and report it. If you use PayPal, I think you are covered up to $500. I may be wrong about this amount. There is also another person selling bootleg copies of these dvds. A friend of mine paid $300 and got copies. Days later the user was no longer a registered user. For the quality and hard work put into these dvds, its ashame we have dishonest people whose motive is to get over on you. Definitely contact Ebay and follow up on this. Good luck!

murraja
09-16-2005, 12:40 PM
I've had this series for about 2 months and it is the best for gaining knowledge about the actual mechanics of camera placement, and most importantly, why. It's dense, but what a resource to review over and over, and in 3-D!
Jarred's excellent review says it all.
Well worth the money.

ericyoung
09-18-2005, 12:35 AM
Is this the guy?

http://cgi.ebay.ca/Hollywood-Camera-Work-Film-TV-Editing-Camerawork-DVD_W0QQitemZ6433014609QQcategoryZ617QQssPageNameZ WDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem

Well this particular guy has been an Ebay member since 2002 with 100% feedback, and has at least a couple of recent positive feedbacks for high value items from other longtime Ebay members with 100% feedback themselves, so it would appear that he's legit.

Of course you should satisfy yourself that you are confident in him before buying.

Another way I check Ebayers is to say you will be visiting their area and ask if seller is willing to let me inspect item or will take cash on personal collection. If they are evasive, I might be a little suspicious (not everybody wants strangers visiting them at home of course!), and ask more questions or investigate their feedback and Ebay history further. But conversely if they're cool with that, then I think I could trust them a lot more.

EShy
09-18-2005, 07:18 AM
I purchased this set about half a year ago, when I first saw a post here in the forums.
I must say this is a great set, no book or online material can explain this material as well.

I found that the easiest way for me to watch the lessons was 1 hour a day, no more, it's just too much information at the same time.
It is really helpful, and in any shoots since then I always use something I learned from this set.
Per did a great job, I hope the visual effects set will be as good

lucidz
09-19-2005, 01:37 PM
I'm definitely interested in buying these used. If you have these and can part with them please let me know. I'd love to have the info before shooting my next short, but after dropping 600 on a mic, i'm SOL for making any big purchases for a while :(

J.R. Hudson
09-19-2005, 08:44 PM
Great News. This Offer Has Been Extended Until October 23!

Thank You Per!

Mike_E
09-19-2005, 10:51 PM
That's excellent, I may actually be able to buy it now that I've started rolling in the big bucks. Hopefully it keeps getting extended forever, so I can keep putting it off.

ropbo
09-20-2005, 11:17 AM
I highly recommend these DVDs. I ordered mine on Friday afternoon and received it here in Vancouver yesterday, Monday. Amazingly fast.

I watched the first DVD twice and found it very helpful. First time I got to "camera plots-u shape" I was like "what the ..." [lol] But that just shows the training is very deep and helps you master each technique.

OLBoy
09-20-2005, 12:36 PM
I ordered mine on Friday afternoon and received it here in Vancouver yesterday, Monday. Amazingly fast.

WTF ! I ordered mine last Sunday, It Shipped Monday morning, Arrived in Vancouver on Thursday, and cleared customs in Richmond this past Sunday. It's taking so ridiciously long, I'm starting to think that maybe customs went through the lessons on the Dvd's. Oh well, Can't wait till they finally arrive.

nalyom9
09-21-2005, 01:21 PM

Hi Gordon,

I'm Nalyom who you mentioned as the ebay bidder, to answer your question you are missing something here.... first things first I have never sold any items on ebay under "nalyom" or anthing else, I have bought 2 items in the past. Okay?

Now I have bidded on Hollywood camera work several times in several auctions and have always been out bid. While I was winning at one stage another ebay buyer told me the guy "Maverelnmore" was the same guy "frontline productions" & "Tolddorocket". the buyer who informed me was at that time out of pocket to the tune of 200 bucks and had not got the goods. I told ebay who could not prove he was one way or the other. As it turned out I was out bid anyway.

I have often put in a few bids one after the other only because the high bid shown was not actually current. I am not an ebay seller and I am certainly not using aliases to pump up a price. I can tell you that I believe the 3 names I have mentioned are most certainly linked, notice how he has big letters saying he "now accepts paypal so you are assured of getting your dvds" what an odd thing to say and a buy now price of only €150, lets face it $400 is about what you could eaily get for this product on ebay.

For the record I am pulling my hair out trying to get this item, just cant afford it yet. Anyway I hope I have cleared things up. By the way this is a neat forum.

Regards

John

earon_k
09-22-2005, 11:50 AM
I agree with John H.... these are not for doc work (and that's my concentration at the moment). However they are valuable for fiction and for thinking about camera placement and set-based interviews. I am also slowly incorporating the techniques into my thinking about shorts for film fests. Great stuff, Per!
earon

XCheck
09-22-2005, 01:24 PM
I agree with John H.... these are not for doc work (and that's my concentration at the moment). However they are valuable for fiction and for thinking about camera placement and set-based interviews. I am also slowly incorporating the techniques into my thinking about shorts for film fests. Great stuff, Per!
earonWell, I don't entirely agree with that. It sure has limited use in docs, but some times, when you are shooting a documentary you are in a situation where you pretty much know where and how characters will move. I think if you understand all that stuff the master course has, it enables you to position yourself so all that emotional effect and spatial continuity is there.

OLBoy
09-22-2005, 02:54 PM
Only got through the first Dvd and I've already learned so much I didn't know before. Great buy, worth every penny.

Zak Forsman
10-01-2005, 05:05 AM
Hey, I just wanted to warn everyone about a situation I've discovered on E-bay. A few weeks ago, I tried to buy Hollywood Camera Work there, and got ripped off by a guy named Rob Balis (from Bloomfield, NJ) for over $200. I paid by money order, and then the guy disappears from e-bay (no longer a registered user).

At the time of sale, his user name was ToledoRocket21, but I have traced him to at least two other user names. He seems to switch usernames every couple of weeks. He'll run a bunch of short auctions, and then as soon as those auctions are up, he disappears and starts a new identity. The first thing he always does is buys a bunch of cheap $.99 items that give him immediate positive feedback. Then he sets up shop and starts his scam all over again.

The reason I'm mentioning all this is that he continues to sell Hollywood Camera Work under different identities, and he continues to rip people off. So, if you're looking to buy it cheap on e-bay, I'd be sure to research the seller, make sure that it IS NOT Rob Balis...and whatever you do...DON'T SEND A MONEY ORDER!

For more info on this guy, you can check out this list of complaints against him:
http://www.traderlist.com/RobBalis.html

Thanks everyone!
I was just ripped off by Rob Balis. BEWARE!!! http://robbalis.blogspot.com/

Jay Rodriguez
10-03-2005, 06:38 AM
sheesh

Zak Forsman
10-04-2005, 05:26 AM
Rob Balis
105 Newman Ave.
Bayonne, NJ 07002

Charles Scalfani
10-04-2005, 03:09 PM
I just received mine (all 6 DVDs) the other day. Was dead tired but watched about 40 minutes of Volume I. I thought my head was going to explode.

There is so much information, watching this thing is like eating a brick. You have to take very, very small bites.

I think that this package is worth every last dime. The rest of the DVDs could be blank and I'd still be happy with my purchase (not really but you get the idea).

guerrerocelestial
10-24-2005, 03:27 AM
How much $ for the DVD's.
Thanks,
guerrerocelestial@hotmail.com

Shawn Murphy
11-12-2005, 03:51 PM
I bought mine back in June, final cost was $336.34 after using the 'DVXUSER' "coupon" field.

Subtotal: 1 $479.00
Coupon - DVXUSER: ($150.00)
Shipping: FedEx Ground: $7.34
Sales Tax: $0.00
TOTAL: $336.34

dregenthal
11-16-2005, 03:01 PM
Just ordered mine today -- DVXUSER coupon still works.

lucidz
11-17-2005, 11:32 AM
If anyones got em used and looking to sell, pleeeeease msg me, I'm dyin to get ahold of em.

mrpunch
11-17-2005, 01:03 PM
I bought this last month - and with the hidden nugget at the beginning of this thread, used the discount code from:
Master Course in High End Blocking (http://www.highend2d.com/dvd_store/cinematography/4.html)
(You can enter HIGHEND3d in the school acc code to get that discount - brings it down to 299.)

There's a quote at the beginning of the series about using the 3D models to demonstrate the power of camera work because they are expressionless. This is one of the strongest elements to the set - you're hearing the voiceover (rather dull voiceover) talking about when you might want to do a pull or a push - to communicate this or that about your character - all while you're watching what that would look like in the setup and through the lens. And you actually 'feel' a reaction to the 3D actor with no expression on their face. This is for Directors and DPs and Actors alike. Definitely changed my respect for things that I watch.

FlickGuru
11-19-2005, 05:39 PM
totaly agree...this is must see for any starting filmmaker. Gave me many ideas on how to impove my future films. Cant wait to get my hands on camera now

Kholi
12-30-2005, 10:45 AM
Hi, new to the boards, but finally got my hands on the goods and now I want this DVD set. If anyone has theirs for sale for a good price (used, as I can't afford it new even with the discount at the moment), I'd like to purchase. Send me a PM and great write-up/coverage by the way!

MrBirdBoy
12-30-2005, 10:29 PM
Hi,
I have a set & could use the $$ more that the DVD's. How 'bout $275 shipped?

Steve
steve@birdboypictures.com

David_M_Payne
01-11-2006, 07:32 PM
I just ordered it, but the final price wasn't listed on the invoice, though it did show the dvxuser discount.

David

jpsheets
02-16-2006, 08:54 AM
Fyi eveyone,

The HIGHEND3d code still works, just got 'em for $295.23 shipped!

J.D.
02-16-2006, 10:53 AM
Based on all this great feedback, I ordered mine today!

mochouinard
02-16-2006, 12:01 PM
I have ordered mine also yesterday ... I mean I do not have the $$ for it, and Im not a professional, but anyway... it all Barry fault... he gave too good comments ;)

I got my tracking number 2 minutes ago. And they have a private forum for customers that is very helpfull from what I have read in it. Nice exercises also.

J.D.
02-16-2006, 04:18 PM
Any suggestions on where should I buy the Visions of Light DVD?

MrBirdBoy
02-16-2006, 05:54 PM
The ASC sell the book (google it) & the Hollywood Camera DVD's are a lifetimes worth of learning. Great !

Steve

reg59
02-17-2006, 11:20 AM
Hey guys! I had a chance to meet the BirdBoy the other day and his DVX icon! This is truly a wonderful, smart, human being and if he says it, bet your bottom dollar on it! Thanks again Steve for the glass . . .

mochouinard
02-17-2006, 12:12 PM
Ok this is crazy fast...
00:14 feb 16 : Order places on hollywood camera work website
00:22 feb 16 : Private account forum is aproved
13:36 feb 16 : Email about my order been shipped with tracking number
15:30 feb 16 : My order was pickedup by carrier
08:54 feb 17 : Went throught Duty Custom Canada
12:05 feb 17 : I signed for my package :)

It kinda hard to beat that speed for international shipping :)
NOTE: I took the International Priority Service... Cost more but include SOME duty fees

goblinmrkt1
04-10-2006, 03:37 PM
Great article! Does anyone have a used set of these dvd's they want to sell for $200? Let me know if so. goblinmrkt1@yahoo.com

Digigenic
04-11-2006, 09:01 PM
Hey, does the HIGHEND3d code still work?

JPatnaude
04-17-2006, 09:01 AM
Yes- it still works.
I just ordered it for work. Got it okayed for "educational and training" budget purposes.
That other website and discount was a great find. I can't wait to dig into it.

Jeff Patnaude

LukeJ
05-01-2006, 01:49 AM
Click Here To Read Article (http://www.dvxuser.com/articles/hollywood/)

Hey, I want to thank you for the DVX user discount tip. A hundred and fifty bucks is a big chunk of change. Just ordered mine and I couldn't believe it when the discount came in. I was thinking twenty five, maybe fifty, but 150? I owe you a drink man. :dankk2:

HekCentrik
06-14-2006, 08:01 AM
I've just ordered this for FedEX priority UK delivery with the HIGHEND3d discount. Instantly received forum notification, etc. Great tip and review!

Code Product Qty. Price/Ea. Total
MCNTSC Master Course 6 DVD Set 1 $479.00
CODE - HIGHEND3D: ($191.60)
Sales Tax: $0.00
Shipping: FedEx International Priority: $61.39
Total $348.79

tomyboy342000
06-15-2006, 12:50 PM
Last December my college instructor for my "Advanced Cinematography" class brough the DVDs in and we spent the week watching all the dvds and afterwards, I've never DP'ed the same. My camera skills have changed for the better so much. As you watch the DVDs, they give you so much info and tips, that afterwards - when you go out and shoot, you somehow feel out the shots in a different and better way. It's like after you read a Tom Clancy novel, for the next two weeks after, you're using a lot of complex words and you formulate your sentences in more of a Clancy-ish way... What I'm trying to say is, these dvds are very very influencial and a must for anyone directing, shooting, and writing. It changes your indie-style to a more professioanl style.

If you wanna see the difference, watch my short film "Killer Deal" and "Maple Mountain", shot before watching the dvds,
then watch "Sudlikov" - shot shortly after watching the dvd series: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tomyboy342000

I strongly recommend this series as well.

Pro Gressive
06-16-2006, 12:12 AM
Regarding Post Number 15 By Gonzoish79. Do Not Contact This Man Or He Will Rip You Off And Send You Burnt Copys Of These Dvds, As He Did To Me. He Does Not Have A "whole New Set" :(

Please Delete Him Jarred Or Barry

Daniel Skubal
06-16-2006, 12:31 AM
what exactly is on the forums? I read on the site that it was a bunch of exercises... but what kind?

PaPa
06-16-2006, 10:04 AM
explain killer deal. Is it fight club style, where the guy is fighting against himself wether or not to sign it, he does, and it kills them both ( just the one guy and his other personality )

watching sudilkov and its really slow so far, gunna watch more.

Last December my college instructor for my "Advanced Cinematography" class brough the DVDs in and we spent the week watching all the dvds and afterwards, I've never DP'ed the same. My camera skills have changed for the better so much. As you watch the DVDs, they give you so much info and tips, that afterwards - when you go out and shoot, you somehow feel out the shots in a different and better way. It's like after you read a Tom Clancy novel, for the next two weeks after, you're using a lot of complex words and you formulate your sentences in more of a Clancy-ish way... What I'm trying to say is, these dvds are very very influencial and a must for anyone directing, shooting, and writing. It changes your indie-style to a more professioanl style.

If you wanna see the difference, watch my short film "Killer Deal" and "Maple Mountain", shot before watching the dvds,
then watch "Sudlikov" - shot shortly after watching the dvd series: http://www.youtube.com/profile?user=tomyboy342000

I strongly recommend this series as well.

PaPa
06-16-2006, 10:11 AM
k finished watching it.

definite improvement over the first two, you can really see those dvd's making their way into your film vocabulary which is great! But again, that short was a little too long, but in another sense, if you were to cut it too short it would lose its dramatic impact.

Perhaps just having more interesting characters that the audience can identify with. Not the strongest actors so feelings and messages were not coming across especially through their eyes.

Great job though!

perholmes
10-20-2006, 01:51 AM
Hi guys,

This is Per Holmes from Hollywood Camera Work. I just wanted to thank all of you -- the DVX User community has been really great to us.

We just lowered the price to $399, so of course we had to lower some of the discounts. But we decided to keep the DVXUSER coupon at 30%, so anyone who wants the course can now get it at $279.

Anyway, thanks to all of you!

Per Holmes

Kino Eye
10-20-2006, 12:51 PM
Hi guys,

This is Per Holmes from Hollywood Camera Work. I just wanted to thank all of you -- the DVX User community has been really great to us.

We just lowered the price to $399, so of course we had to lower some of the discounts. But we decided to keep the DVXUSER coupon at 30%, so anyone who wants the course can now get it at $279.

Anyway, thanks to all of you!

Per Holmes

Thanks for the notice! Is there a reason for the price drop? Is there a new version coming out?

Cynic821
10-20-2006, 01:30 PM
Im confused. 30 percent of 300 is 90 bucks. So shouldnt it be 209.99?

perholmes
10-20-2006, 01:31 PM
Hi Kino Eye,

There's no reason for the price drop other than that $479 was always too expensive. Obviously, Hollywood Camera Work has taken tremendous effort to make, and it could only have been done on pure enthusiasm -- noone in their right mind would spend that amount of time and research creating a DVD set.

The logic behind the $479 price was that the nearest competitors charged around $389 for their filmmaking DVD sets, and it was a matter of pride that there was no way I would allow costing the same, as I think there's a world of difference in quality and level of ambition.

But in the two years it has been out, it has consistently bothered me that the price was just a little too high. First of all, people say all the time that before they bought the set, they felt it was too expensive (people are used to DVDs that are made in a weekend), but after they worked with the set, they felt it was a bargain. But first impressions matter, and it's been my feeling that regardless of quality, $479 is just a little bit too much for many people.

And I never wanted to put up a roadblock! The second logic was that for example schools (check out the list at http://www.hollywoodcamerawork.us/mc_testimonials.html) will expect an academic discount no matter what. If the price is $399, then they'll just expect 30% off of that. So we opted to leave the price at $479, give schools the 30%, and then be very liberal handing out discounts. This way, the price would maintain its dignity, but in reality, people would be able to get it cheaper.

But I'm surprised that even though it has been relatively easy to find discount on the internet (10 seconds on Google would locate one), it didn't occur to many people to look. So all they had to go on was $479, which is peanuts for DreamWorks Animation who have bought 10 copies, but not for someone else.

So I finally decided that the price had to be $399 -- so the DVDs wouldn't only sell to the absolutely most committed. And by the way, the set sells extremely well -- although almost everything is being put back into Visual Effects for Directors, which I hope will come out one day :-) It's a gigantic project.

So pricing is really something you put a lot of thought into! Donald Trump says that "pricing is everything". In my opinion, Quality is probably everything, that's why these HCW DVDs take forever to come out, but after that, pricing probably IS everything. I wanted to lower it, so more people could simply say "what the heck, I'll get it", rather than have to think hard about it (which in the science of marketing is considered death).

I hope this answers your question, and I haven't given away things I shouldn't have!

Best,

Per

perholmes
10-20-2006, 01:32 PM
Hi Cynic821,

No, the price is $399, not $300. 30% discount is $120 off, so with the DVXUSER coupon, it's $279.

Best,

Per

Cynic821
10-20-2006, 01:35 PM
AHH! Good deal! :) Thanks sorry, didnt read the entire thread.

perholmes
10-20-2006, 01:35 PM
Hi again Kino Eye,

By the way, I forgot to answer: No, there's not a new version coming out - except that at some point it will be subtitled in English, Spanish, French, German and Japanese. It's being requested all the time.

There will be an update at some point in the future, because I feel there are a couple of important things missing. But this will be a sort of 1.05 update, and the final version. I can't think of anything else missing. But there will be DVDs that branch out -- there's Steadicam, Helicopter/Aerial, Fight Staging DVDs in the pipeline. Actually, there's a ton in the pipeline, but I shouldn't say yet.

Best,

Per

Charli
10-20-2006, 06:03 PM
God must be watching over me... I was going to order this sooner, but the
horrorfest put me out some money. I checked on this item today and bam,
nice savings. I ordered mine today. Thank you for the discount!

Sweet.

Haakon
10-20-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi Cynic821,

No, the price is $399, not $300. 30% discount is $120 off, so with the DVXUSER coupon, it's $279.

Best,

Per
That's a fantastic price. It was almost $500 when I bought it.

Kyle Stebbins
10-21-2006, 06:24 PM
i would love this item but am wondering if my money will be better spent on a letus35?? i guess not BETTER spent... but you know what im getting at...

perholmes
10-22-2006, 06:13 PM
Hi Kyle,

Well, they're two very different investments. Certainly, at some point, you need 35mm-like depth of field, because the storytelling becomes entirely different. Actually, shallow depth of field brings so much to an image from a storytelling perspective, that the same framing you would have rejected as "something wrong with it" using a regular DV camera, suddenly becomes an excellent framing when the DOF is under your control. So it does make a difference, and in a sense, if you learned a lot of your framing techniques with a DV camera, you have to learn it all over, because things that didn't work before now do. With DOF under your control, you can make much more "ordinary" shot decisions, and really like the result.

Learning to block is an entirely different matter, and something you absolutely have to do whether you're a DP or a Director. For practical reasons, disorganized camera work is an enormous drain on your budget and shooting-schedule, but this is the language of visual storytelling -- a language that everyone understands but relatively few speak. As a Director, this is your primary responsibility (that, and working with the actors). As a DP, you have to know blocking if the Director doesn't, but your primary responsibility is the *look*, i.e. lighting and tone.

Whether you learn blocking with HCW, learn it by watching others, or just play around until you have enough techniques accumulated that you feel comfortably articulate when you're directing, I would absolutely make it a priority to get really good at blocking.

Regarding DOF adapters, you should know that the expense doesn't end there -- you have to get lenses and rails and follow-focus, and with that, your camera rig becomes heavier so you need a bigger dolly where the A/C can ride along. I've seen DOF adapters look great, although because of the way they work, they tend to flare up with heavy highlights, which happens often outdoors.

But regarding DOF, I think the main thing to consider is that the RED camera seems to have a 35mm exposure surface natively (the CCD is the right size), which means that you'll never need a DOF adapter again. The DOF adapters are meant to solve a problem that, bizarrely, none of the camera manufacturers have though important enough to solve -- that DOF on a 1/3" CCD stinks. I'm very happy to see camera manufacturers finally embrace a larger CCD, and with that, you can do 35mm storytelling on a digital format. But it also means that eventually, DOF adapters may become obsolete. On the other hand, 1/3" CCD probably won't go away for a long time, and DOF adapters will always improve that.

Best,

Per

Kyle Stebbins
10-23-2006, 09:42 AM
I'm SO tempted to buy it! But judging from the samples... I don't own 4 cameras! =) I have a dolly that I built, I it certainly would be hard for the tripod to pan the camera left and right as the dolly was being pushed. I'm not sure but I think this dvd set would be more useful to me if I had the right gear.

perholmes
10-23-2006, 10:28 AM
Hi Kyle,

Just a quick note, HCW is all single-camera blocking. The reason that 4 (or 10) cameras are shown is that the best blocking comes when you think of the blocking as a multi-camera shoot, even though you're obviously shooting one camera at a time. But the course is strictly single-camera blocking -- otherwise, many of the "cameras" you see would be shooting each other.

One of things the course works with a lot is to learn to block in "parallel", which simply means that you're planning multiple camera sites at the same time, as opposed to breaking the scene up into a bunch of "snippets" that you glue back to back on the timeline. The latter could be called working "sequentially" (i.e. with a storyboard-mentality), because you're imagining the final cut, and then based on that you shoot all the short snippets that you need. Unfortunately, that often results in blocking that doesn't stick together, has *way* too many camera setups, and if a single shot fails, you possibly can't edit the scene (very bad). This approach also tends to force you to do locked shots, and not really utilize what's possible in blocking.

In parallel blocking, you're planning the scene *as if* it's a multi-camera shoot, which means that you have maybe 5 "cameras" that work together. So while you're shooting one of the cameras, you know in the back of your mind where all the other cameras are (e.g. "OK, this camera stays wide, and then pushes in halfway through, ending up matching the locked close-up I have from the other side"). You can only think like that when you've planned all the other cameras -- and even though you're shooting one at a time, you know where the other "cameras" are.

It's important to understand that you're almost always being forced to think in parallel, whether you know it or not. For example, if you're just shooting 2 over-the-shoulders and one master from the side, you're pretending that each of these cameras are shooting the exact same moment in time, even though they're shot hours or days apart. But since the actors repeat their performances, and you do everything else to maintain continuity, you effectively have the same thing as if you had shot the whole thing with 3 cameras to begin with -- but with the important exceptions that you can execute very complicated choreography because you get to do one camera at a time, that cameras can shoot each other because it's not actually a multi-camera shoot, and you get to tweak the lighting on a shot-by-shot basis, which is why film can do better lighting with *much* less equipment than if you were actually doing a multi-camera shoot. Besides that, blocking done from a parallel mindset becomes *much* more organic and fluid, and you can edit it almost any way you want -- the scene is covered from multiple positions that each have a small camera choreography, but even if a "camera" fails, you can edit it with the other "cameras". And finally, editing happens in the editing-suite as it should, instead of being done on the set without even having seen the performances -- that's what happens when a scene is shot sequentially based on a shot-list. Many people work like this (I guess because it's easier to visualize one shot at a time rather than 10 shots at a time), but I would submit that it hurts more than it helps. Sequential blocking is especially hard on actors, who never get up to speed -- it's very hard to act in 5 second spurts.

To use HCW, I would say that you have to at some point have a dolly. However, the first two DVDs are all static blocking, which is the foundation of all blocking, and you can do that with a tripod. Actually, you can learn a lot of line-management techniques with just static pictures from a digital camera.

If you make yourself skilled in static blocking, I think you'll find that a lot of dolly blocking techniques are a simple outgrowth of that. In fact, I think that too many people jump ahead to working with a dolly, but without the static blocking foundation underneath, they end up doing the same 2 or 3 techniques over and over. If you really make yourself good at static blocking, your dolly blocking will become much more sophisticated.

I hope this answers your questions!

Per

Kyle Stebbins
10-23-2006, 10:33 AM
it says that per posted at 11:28 but i cant find it!

perholmes
10-23-2006, 10:35 AM
I think the forum made a page break, try checking the previous page.

Best,

Per

Kyle Stebbins
10-23-2006, 10:36 AM
just did, can't find it! =( i read the one before it though - thanks!

perholmes
10-23-2006, 10:36 AM
Yikes, I wrote a gigantic answer and it's gone!

Per

perholmes
10-23-2006, 10:38 AM
Bullocks! OK, this will be a very short rewrite:

The course is all about single-camera blocking -- the reason multiple cameras are shown at the same time is that it's better to think of the blocking *as if* you're doing multiple cameras at the same time.

Best,

Per

perholmes
10-23-2006, 10:43 AM
Hi again Kyle,

By the way, don't rush into buying anything. The DVXUSER Hollywood Camera Work discount will be around for a while. But especially, don't buy a DOF adapter without doing careful research, including finding out exactly which lenses fit, and what other equipment you need in order to use the adapter (it might be a lot).

Best,

Per

Kyle Stebbins
10-23-2006, 06:41 PM
the letus is able to be attached without rails, and the biggest thing that confuses me is finding the right lens... i wish someone could pm me more specific answers (as i am lens-illiterate) -- i dont understand some of it.

this probably isn't the right thread for it, but... i've got the funds to start investing in the adapter and im sure i could get that hollywood dvd set for christmas. now i just need someone to tell me whether the basic letus35a is worth it - ive already got the upside-down image solved, just need to find a lens and the proper mountings... anyone?? i'd be greatly appreciative!
-kyle

perholmes
10-23-2006, 08:40 PM
Yes, for the DOF adapters, you can't just use any lens -- it has to be a lens that gives you access to especially the aperture from the outside, and many SLR lenses control the aperture electronically. There's probably plenty of discussion in other forum categories, and probably the manufacturer can make recommendations. We probably shouldn't discuss it in this thread, as it could get lengthy, and there are also people in this forum who could much more be considered experts.

Best,

Per

Kyle Stebbins
10-23-2006, 11:07 PM
true that... back to the DVD - BUY IT!!!!

Charli
10-25-2006, 04:22 PM
I just got my box in the mail, off to watch and learn. Thanks for this! Sweet.

Kyle Stebbins
10-25-2006, 10:04 PM
interesting, i thought charli posted on here... there must be a real glitch on this page.

John Godden
11-17-2006, 11:27 PM
Do these DVD's ever show up in the "marketplace" forum?

Thanks
JohnG

Mark Johnson
11-19-2006, 12:04 AM
This set is one of the very best investments I've made. When I take long flights I bring one of the DVDs along and watch it on a portable DVD player. You really get the most out of the course by repeat watching until the blocking becomes very familiar. I'm extremely impressed with how well 3D is suited to this type of course. The execution and content are nothing short of brilliant in my humble opinion.

Vincent Pascoe
11-20-2006, 03:22 PM
I wish this was Homework for every director I every work with. Solid great DVD's...after I whated these I looked back at my Fotage and was "oh thats why this shot is great and this one is lacking...the Blocking and camera...

again worth the money if you can sit through it

VP

Shawn Philip Nelson
11-21-2006, 01:06 AM
These DVDs are incredible! My wife and I are on Volume 2 and every minute of it is just so rich. I hope to watch this set through at least 3 times.

Gohanto
12-04-2006, 09:15 AM
I've got a love/hate opinion on these DVDs. They're great in the sense of telling you how to use certain shots work and why they work, but I find it hard to add my own style in with these ideas.

You won't make Goodfellas or Requiem for a Dream following this advice, but it can give you a good background to fall back on in case any experimental visuals don't work out.

salils
12-24-2006, 12:22 AM
I am a bit confused after watching a bit of this DVD set, they keep on talking about this camera..that camera...how are you supposed to have so many cameras? Don't most films use 1 or 2 cameras? Am I just supposed to make the actors try to perform exactly the same like 3 or 4 times if I just have 1 camera?

insanityfw
12-24-2006, 12:37 AM
Am I just supposed to make the actors try to perform exactly the same like 3 or 4 times if I just have 1 camera?

Generally speaking...Yes. That's how it's been done in film forever. Now, having a couple of cameras can make consistency a bit better, but it also has it's own inherent logistical problems.

That's why some professional actors are worth their weight in gold...consistency.

slimchrisp
01-03-2007, 03:23 PM
wow. just got these in the mail this week. merry christmas to this guy. :thumbsup:

after reading all the rave reviews on dvxuser, i had to bite the bullet. we're all after the next great piece of gear, so i put off buying these for a while in place of other toys. i'm sooooo glad i finally picked them up. from the first disc it just jumps in head first. i have to say, i'll be watching these over and over.

definitely a must have!

stinkpot
01-09-2007, 02:49 PM
Are they still honoring the DVXUSER discount? $150?

LuckyStudio 13
01-27-2007, 01:32 PM
Absolutely the best investment for the money. These dvdset will elevate your camera/Cinematography skill. It is a keeper for future refreshment course.

stinkpot
03-22-2007, 08:59 AM
Best money spent on educational materiels! I feel I got my money's worth more so than college!:thumbup: :thumbup:

craigbowman
03-22-2007, 08:52 PM
Best money spent on educational materiels! I feel I got my money's worth more so than college!:thumbup: :thumbup:

The local arts and technology school in town issues a set of these to every student entering their film program before they even start their formal studies.

johann
09-26-2007, 12:04 PM
Well, I'm pretty late on this one, but new here, too. I just placed my order and want to tell you there's still a USD$120 savings to be had by mentioning you're a dvxuser member in the school field when you're checking out. They also charge a flat rate of $15 for shipping anywhere in the world! I'm pumped! (I'm an international customer - discount might be different in the USA?)

vic777
03-04-2009, 07:12 PM
Well, I'm pretty late on this one, but new here, too. I just placed my order and want to tell you there's still a USD$120 savings to be had by mentioning you're a dvxuser member in the school field when you're checking out. They also charge a flat rate of $15 for shipping anywhere in the world! I'm pumped! (I'm an international customer - discount might be different in the USA?)Does anyone know if the discount still appies as of March 04/2009?
thanks....

imthinking
03-05-2009, 11:27 AM
there is a new set for sale here in the marketplace almost 50% off go get it

Jackson Miller
04-15-2009, 08:49 PM
So, four years later, is this still highly recommended and worth it? I am trying to decide if I should buy it or not. Thanks guys.

Drew Ott
04-15-2009, 10:24 PM
Still worth it.

David Jimerson
04-16-2009, 01:25 PM
Very little, if anything, in it something which can be dated by technology; it's pretty much all about technique, and none of that has changed. I don't know of any other work which compares. So yeah, it's still recommended.

Jackson Miller
05-05-2009, 07:52 AM
Thanks man :) I figured.

Does anybody know though, if the discount code still applies?

realogist
05-05-2009, 01:24 PM
They now have a Visual Effects for Directors DVD. which I pre-ordered ASAP. The preview clips on the site are very impressive, can't wait till my DVD set arrives..

Much of the course work over at fxphd should make a good compliment for this to teach you how to actually create those effects.

Jing
05-08-2009, 02:35 PM
I like this a lot =]

happypossum
05-31-2009, 12:34 AM
Incredible indeed, thanks.

Regards,
Lauren
how to french kiss (http://frenchkissingsecrets.com/)

zcream
12-25-2009, 04:58 PM
Just about to buy hollywood camera work - thanks a lot for the review. waiting for a 2$ cashback credit card for for savings :-)

michigan
02-05-2010, 11:44 AM
Discount with DVXUSER name is now $98.70 instead of $150.00

CameronMcC
03-10-2010, 08:51 PM
Discount with DVXUSER name is now $98.70 instead of $150.00

where do you enter it in?

CameronMcC
03-10-2010, 11:32 PM
nevermind found it

NoahK
03-11-2010, 09:39 AM
Love this disc!

Dave
03-11-2010, 03:13 PM
nevermind found it

Where is it?

CameronMcC
03-11-2010, 10:51 PM
Where is it?

you type it under school during checkout

Wilbur Eddings
01-20-2011, 01:09 PM
Brilliant. Ordering the Science of Awesome and the special effects one as well!

nkwhoa
05-24-2011, 02:36 PM
Just wanted to mentiont that I've seen so many of these exact setups presented in the DVDs on movies and TV shows. Just last night, I was watching RoboCop for the first time (yeah, I'm 20 years late to the party). For those familiar to the movie, check out the bathroom scene where the two higher-ups of the tech company have an argument. All the blocking is literally straight outta Volume 1! The camera is basically locked off, and you have the characters changing positions... from over the shoulder to reverse over the shoulder.

Per Holmes is the man, straight up.

david_p
05-26-2011, 01:13 PM
Just wanted to mentiont that I've seen so many of these exact setups presented in the DVDs on movies and TV shows. Just last night, I was watching RoboCop for the first time (yeah, I'm 20 years late to the party). For those familiar to the movie, check out the bathroom scene where the two higher-ups of the tech company have an argument. All the blocking is literally straight outta Volume 1! The camera is basically locked off, and you have the characters changing positions... from over the shoulder to reverse over the shoulder.

Per Holmes is the man, straight up.

its amazing how old this thread is but have to add again that this package is really amazing & comprehensive.

david

craigbowman
05-28-2011, 12:19 AM
its amazing how old this thread is but have to add again that this package is really amazing & comprehensive.

david

What is really sad but true, is in other threads you have people without any of this most basic of all production knowledge who think if they just buy the newest gear that somehow magically their project will transform into a hollywood feature and they will be perfect DPs. After almost thirty years in the business when I managed to get a hold of this set it reafirmed all of the things I had picked up on many sets except for the helicopter stuff. Glad that was the seventh and last disc in the series as I had already decided to hang up my DP hat and move into the director's seat on my next three projects.