PDA

View Full Version : Hackintosh

JasonMillard81
07-27-2014, 05:15 PM
Hey all,

I have been trying to figure out what Mac desktop I was going to purchase and remembered plenty of successful people have built Hackintosh's. My knowledge on such topics are limited and was curious if anyone had suggestions, even for prebuilt machines or distributors. To get a decent iMac it would cost easily over $2k.

Thanks

edinc90
07-27-2014, 05:57 PM
I built one almost 3 years ago, and it's still going strong. You need to be very computer savvy to do it. Building the hardware was no problem, but getting all the software to install properly was a pain. I would not count on a Hackintosh to be anything less than a two day build. Also updating the OS has its problems, certain incompatibilities in new updates means you may have to reinstall your OS from scratch if you accidentally update.

That said, it is cheaper (material cost, maybe not time cost) to build a Hackintosh rather than buy a Mac. You can also expand a PC tower a lot better than a Mac Pro. Mine has been going strong for 3 years with no problems (hardware, that is.)