PDA

View Full Version : Exporting 23.98 anamorphic widescreen?

EA_Cru_2002
08-30-2005, 05:48 PM
Hi guys. I am a bit confused on exactly which setting I'm supposed to use to export my file from my NLE. I shot on 24pA and in squeeze mode. Imported it as 29.97 Anamorphic. I heard I could've checked off the 3:2:2:3 pulldown option in some box somewhere here but I didn't know at the time so I didn't. So then what I did was double clicked on the file and then found that option somewhere in FCP4.5's nav bar menu to remove Advanced Pulldown. Seemed to work. Now, my timeline is 23.98. I'm all done now and want to export. So what settings do I choose if I want to make a 24 frame, anamorphic widescreen dvd? Do I use the 23.98 option? Or do I use the 29.97 anamorphic option? I couldn't find one that was 23.98 anamorphic. Thanks in advance to anyone who answers.

Nick Robbins
08-30-2005, 08:24 PM
It sounds like you've already got a 23.98 Anamorphic sequence, in which case, you should be fine as is.

But, for future reference, since FCP doesn't come with a 23.98 Anamorphic preset, here's how to make one:

1) Open up the Audo/Video Settings pane (Final Cut Pro->Audio/Video Settings..., or Cmd-Opt-Q)
2) Click the Sequence Presets tab
3) Select the DV NTSC 23.98 preset and click Duplicate
4) Check the Anamorphic 16:9 option
5) Add "Anamorphic" to the name, so you can actually find it again.

You should probably also create a Capture Preset with the same settings, so you don't have to remove the pulldown after the fact. Just click the Capture Preset tab, duplicate the DV Advanced (2:3:3:2) Pulldown preset, and check the Anamorphic option there.

Shimobe
08-30-2005, 10:24 PM
doing it this way i will have to render and it is still is showing up as 30 frames in the timeline. is there a way around this?

moebius
09-01-2005, 02:42 AM
Are you using compressor? It claims to detect the framerate but i would just make a new setting for mpg compression. Choose 23.98, ntsc resolution, progressive, 16:9 and the rest as if you would for any mpg compression (bitrate etc).

EA_Cru_2002
09-01-2005, 02:57 AM
Thanks Nick! You totally rock!

EA_Cru_2002
09-01-2005, 03:43 AM
So I am to assume that when I export, with these new settings (23.98 Anamorphic) that my sequence is in, I just export with "Current File Settings"?

Also, I'm not sure if it's supposed to be like this or not, but I shot in squeeze mode, imported it with the anamorphic option. I just recently made my sequence timeline anamorphic because of this post. What it does is scrunch the footage down. It was 1:78 but now it's closer to 2:35 and all the footage is squished down. Is this supposed to be like this? I'm assuming what's supposed to happen is that on an anamorphic dvd player/tv, it'll unsqueeze the footage. Am I right or did I do something wrong?

moebius
09-01-2005, 08:22 AM
Yeah you simply export using current settings ...

... but, it's not supposed to be squeezed that way. If you check the motion tab of your clips, you'll see they are on -33.33 apsect ratio but they should be on 0. Anamorphic clips in an anamorphic sequence should always fill the whole frame in FCP. I guess this happenes because the clips used to be in a 4:3 timeline at one point and had to be squeezed.