PDA

View Full Version : release forms required?

wbfish
08-29-2005, 12:52 PM
I am shooting a documentary in October over two days and I'm wondering if I can use an on camera release or do I need a stack of forms to hand out. I have a feeling that the on camera OK will be less intimidating for the crowd I will be interviewing. Also, what about people/person in the background. Anyone have experience with this? Thanks for any help.

Barry_S
08-29-2005, 01:24 PM
I think it's really risky to use on-camera releases because they usually skip over some important points that are included on written releases. Also, you may need to have written releases as part or your deliverables depending on how you plan to distribute the doc. I think written releases can be simple, clear and non-intimidating--and most importantly they're explicit about you owning the complete rights to the footage. As for bystanders, a lot depends on your situation, but you may be able to just post signs that filming is in progress and your image may be used, etc.

wbfish
08-29-2005, 01:28 PM
Thanks Barry. I really appreciate it. Just discovered this site last week and have already learned a lot. Thanks again.