PDA

View Full Version : JVC HM650 bum or do I lower my expectations?

tyreeford
06-10-2014, 10:38 AM
Even when I was shooting 35Mbps, some shooters and editors said the footage looked noticeably soft. One took footage into Adobe Premiere and said he used "sharpen" and had the sharpen value up to 50. He said normally, he can't get the slider past 10 before a picture gets pretty ugly.

I just did a test at 50Mbps and found adjusting the Detail parameter from 1 to 10 and back seemed to make no difference. The blacks crawl a bit and lack detail.

I'm trying to ascertain if there's something wrong with the camera (in addition to the problem with the Detail parameter) or if that's as good as it gets with the HM650.

If you have time or interest, here's a link to test footage.
https://www.dropbox.com/s/vylj4e4cq33wvfe/TyFordHM650Test.MOV

I suggest downloading rather than viewing via dropbox.

Thanks,

Ty Ford

tyreeford
06-11-2014, 08:14 PM
Hi,

FYI, on another forum, I have been told that part of the problem is that due to the sensor size, I should not expect a sharp image at anything over 8.0 F-stop and 5.6 is best. Instead of irising down, I am told I should use ND and/or shutter speed. I'll check that out and get back with more info.

Regards,

Ty Ford

tyreeford
06-12-2014, 05:57 PM
Better, I'm happy to say.

Here's a clip I shot in the studio shot at 5.6 and you can see some detail increase.

https://www.dropbox.com/s/1ttpbvh32t8co7x/TyFordHM650Test2.MOV

Don't try to play it from dropbox, download it first.

I think it may be safe to pop the detail level up in general.

Still some noise in the blacks, but I was expecting that.

Thanks for your help and please toss in any other comments you have.

Regards,

Ty Ford

Bassman2003
06-15-2014, 06:18 AM
Ty, If I could ask - why where you setting the iris at or above f8 anyway? Unless you where shooting outdoors. That is a lot of light for indoors.

tyreeford
06-15-2014, 08:59 AM
I was outside for that. :) Still it looks like the ND filter is a much better way to go.

Regards,

Ty

Bassman2003
06-15-2014, 09:27 AM
Yes, that what the NDs are there for. I would not change the shutter speed unless you had to for an extreme situation. This is still camera practice creeping into the video world.

tyreeford
06-15-2014, 10:12 AM
I usually leave it at 1/60. Any suggestions for normal video other than that?

Would using other shutter speeds create problems?

Ty

Bassman2003
06-15-2014, 11:00 AM
No, and it will act as a light suppressor. But as you go away from 1/60th the footage will have a staccato look to it. Sports are often shot at 1/120th for better slow motion and a little crisper image. Not the end of the world to change it but normally shutter speed is not an exposure tool in the video world as it is in the still world.