PDA

View Full Version : Cheaper alternative to After Effects (especially if you want to create slow-mo)?

wildstriker
05-15-2014, 03:15 PM
Hi,

I was wondering if anyone might know a cheaper alternative to After Effects where I might still be able to conform footage shot in 30/60fps to 24fps?

I know programs like Final Cut Studio/Premiere Pro allows you to do this as well but I can't afford either of them. With my current situation (personal really), I'm not yet willing to spend a lot of money on expensive editing programs.

I would say my maximum expenditure is 235.

Thank you.

starcentral
05-15-2014, 03:22 PM
http://dvfilm.com - for small price.

Otherwise for FREE research AVIsynth, and Virtual Dub. But this option isn't as user friendly or intuitive if you are not good with learning software/programs.

Cheers,

Liam Hall
05-15-2014, 03:29 PM
FCPX is 199.Motion is 34.99. You can get both and have enough change for a pint of milk.

starcentral
05-15-2014, 03:32 PM
Get cookies for milk too.

That reminds me you could just use a trial version if your need is short-term.

wildstriker
05-16-2014, 04:25 AM
Would you say motion does as good of a job of conforming 30/60fps to 24fps as After Effects/Final Cut Studio/Premiere Pro?

zijital
05-16-2014, 10:36 AM
I have FCS 3 & always use Cinema Tools to do conforming. I wouldn't use Motion or FCP, mostly b/c I have Cinema Tool & would think the other two would do some software blending instead of a true re-conform.

I doubt that you can purchase Cinema Tools by itself, but if you can...

How many shots do you have? If not many, can you find someone close by with AE or FCS? You could probably ask to use their system & pay them a minimal fee as it really shouldn't take long (at least with Cinema Tools).

Liam Hall
05-16-2014, 12:12 PM
Would you say motion does as good of a job of conforming 30/60fps to 24fps as After Effects/Final Cut Studio/Premiere Pro?
Yep.

wildstriker
05-16-2014, 12:35 PM
I have FCS 3 & always use Cinema Tools to do conforming. I wouldn't use Motion or FCP, mostly b/c I have Cinema Tool & would think the other two would do some software blending instead of a true re-conform.

I doubt that you can purchase Cinema Tools by itself, but if you can...

How many shots do you have? If not many, can you find someone close by with AE or FCS? You could probably ask to use their system & pay them a minimal fee as it really shouldn't take long (at least with Cinema Tools).

What about dropping a 30/60fps footage on a 24fps timeline? Do you think that would work with Final Cut Pro/Final Cut Express? Thanks.

zijital
05-16-2014, 09:11 PM
Maybe I'm missing something. Whenever I've conformed footage 60fps to 30fps I'm doing so b/c I want slow motion. Cinema Tools will keep every frame, but playing 60fps back 30fps means everything is at 50%.

If I'm editing in a 30p or 24p timeline & have some 60p footage and don't need to to be slow motion, then I just drop it in & let FCP render it when I export. But FCP will do it's magic & keep everything in real time 100% speed, which means that I'm loosing some of the native frames. (60p in a 30p timeline & FCP is probably just throwing away every other frame.)

If that's what you're trying to do, then just test it out. I think most NLEs these days will take different frame rates & let you edit them all in a single timeline.

But if you're trying to do slow motion with 60p, then I wouldn't just drop 60p into a 24p timeline w/o conforming & slowing down the footage first.

j
05-16-2014, 10:15 PM
Why not Creative Cloud?