PDA

View Full Version : scan slides for video

Lenilenapi
02-13-2014, 12:53 PM
I need to scan some 35mm slides that were shot of paintings for a video project. I am hoping to be able to zoom in, crop and do other effects with the images and will be editing in Final Cut 7 1920x1080 and probably doing the basic effects in after affects.
What's the best way to scan the slides to digitize them, and then to get them into After affects and/or FCP.
My local photo shop (pretty good somewhat professional store) says they can scan at 6400DPI and give me either TIFF or JPG files.

thanks

morgan_moore
02-13-2014, 01:46 PM
You can do a pretty decent job if you shoot them on a light box with a Dslr and a macro lens 5kraw!

Scanning will work too at more time and cost.

clang
02-13-2014, 11:10 PM
I'm not familiar with Final Cut, but have plenty of experience in using stills in my video projects. In general you want the highest res possible, thus allowing you to zoom in as far as possible. 6400DPI sounds good (from a 35mm image you'll thus get images about 8-9000 pixels wide) and thus be able to zoom into about one third of the image size - although do check whether Final Cut has limitations on how big an image it can use. Either TIFF or JPG should be fine, although again, Final Cut may work better with one or the other.

morgan_moore
02-14-2014, 12:53 AM
as long as you have photoshop you can make smaller jpgs to drop in to FCP, Id take 16bit tiffs from the scanning house..

S

scorsesefan
02-16-2014, 12:47 PM
I have one of these: http://www.adorama.com/IESV500R.html?gclid=CKCa24fC0bwCFSXl7AodZy0AVA
Depending on how many slides you need to scan/future use it may be a good investment.