PDA

View Full Version : Silly question ?

procam
08-18-2005, 09:37 AM
I hope someone here can help me
I'm about to start a project that is part history and part what to see and do ... and one problem i have come up against is that there is this one building that is vital i cover ... what i intend to do is film some pieces to camera which I'm guessing will take half a day ... the property in question have asked for a fee to film which i kinda expected but the question i cant answer is...they want to know how many copies I'm going to sell... i mean how long is a bit of string.and until i tell them that they wont let me film there i tried to explain i have no idea how it will sell so i just said OK...i think it will sell 100 ..then they said OK we want 25% of each one sold..has anyone ever come across this kind of thing before...after all I'm trying to promote the city i live in..?

thanks in advance.

galt
08-18-2005, 12:13 PM
Nothing is vital. People get greedy every day. Just shoot some outside shots and move on. Mention them without going into detail, show your exterior shot of their sign or building, and promote the people who are nice to you.

khmuse
08-18-2005, 12:28 PM
Fees for using anything are always negotiable. That stated, it is very unusual for a location to charge a percentage of anything. Location fees are typically a fixed amount, depending upon the number of days of production. Most locations will usually want to be named on your production insurance and may also require security (either their own or an outside provider). You might be better off not covering this location as it sounds like that they are either have no experience working with film productions or as galt said, they might just be more than a little greedy.

GenJerDan
08-18-2005, 12:39 PM
As a matter of fact, during editing, erase that building completely. Replace it with a McDonalds or something. Then, in the credits, explain why. :)

Dan

Sirius_Doggy
08-18-2005, 12:39 PM
25%! That's FU@!@!#NG crazy! I'm assuming you have more than one location in this project. Imagine the next 3 locations requesting the same fee. You'll be doing this project for free. Pass on the location of find someone else to talk to there that understands location fees a little better.

edit: Do what Dan recommended - that's even better!:thumbsup:

procam
08-18-2005, 01:29 PM
Thanks guys for the input the only reason i said it was vital to cover it was here in Plymouth its where the pilgrim fathers set of from so just kinda thought was a good place to start but like Galt says i think ill just do some outside shots and then move on the reason i think there after money is the local council here is in the red and looking for claw back where ever they can and as im funding this my self...they aint getting it from me !!
I like the idea of McDonalds replacing it...lol...

galt
08-18-2005, 02:02 PM
Once you have this project done so you have a nice demo piece, go see the executive director. Don't mention your current (Prior by then) problems, just propose doing a PAID video for them to help promote their site. Getting paid for things you would have done for free is the best revenge.

procam
08-18-2005, 02:29 PM
Galt i like that idea a lot .... They have a whole lot of history there to be told so i guess if they want it told they will have to pay...thanks again guys.

pmark23
08-18-2005, 08:31 PM
Are you filming from within their property, or is their property in the background and you're on public property?

They have no control over their property appearing in a film, only if you can shoot ON their property or not.

procam
08-19-2005, 02:27 AM
Hi pmark23 i was aiming to film on there property but now im not ill film from the street and do the piece to camera with it in the background.