PDA

View Full Version : Question about Sin City Effect (sort of)

FilmBoy77
11-16-2013, 06:39 PM
I have a client who wants to have a black and white music video and when certain people touch an object they will become "in color". Not just a portion of their clothing or something like in Sin City, but the entire person. What's involved with doing this type of effect? Or do things need to be shot a certain way?

Wesley Byram
11-19-2013, 03:23 PM
Well, in the case of Sin City, practically the entire movie was shot in front of a green screen. The advantage of that, of course, is that it's trivial to adjust the colors on the actors independently of the background.

Just speculating, but perhaps another way to do it (if you'd rather avoid green screen) would be through some careful production design. Make sure that the actors are not wearing colors that appear in the background and vice-versa. Ideally the environment would have colors on the opposite side of the color wheel from those on the actors. It should then be possible to adjust the saturation of the various colors independently, such that you could turn the saturation all the way down to 0 for the background colors while not affecting the actors too much.

Of course, you could try rotoscoping, but I'd save that for a last resort.

David G. Smith
11-19-2013, 05:59 PM
Try going to YouTube and searching for "Sin City Effect".

Here is one for FCP.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LXoK8OSJ9Wc

If you want to do a whole person, shooting them on green screen would probably make it easier to do as you can key the whole person and bring up all of the colors on them independent of the back ground.

FilmBoy77
11-19-2013, 09:18 PM
Ok yea thanks I had already searched youtube for Sin City effect just to see if there was anything in the workflow that'd allow me to do the entire person and isolate the background, but without green screen I don't think it can be done I guess. The locations we will be shooting will be located throughout the city. The budget is not enough for me to sit there and rotoscope...I've been through that hell before on some other projects :)

Thanks for the input guys.