PDA

View Full Version : Exporting/rendering out from AE - external vs internal harddrive

Camensky
11-08-2013, 02:15 AM
Hey guys,
I've got a project I'm about to export/render out from AE. I've got all my media on an external harddrive (usb 3.0) and "working from that," so to speak.
Now when I'm finished and about to export, is it faster to render out to the external harddrive or to my internal harddrive? Is there any difference at all?
As always, I don't really have time to test the two different ways and see which one works faster... :/ All the video and audio is on the external harddrive, as is my AE-project, so I'm guessing that'll be quicker...? :S I'm at work right now so I haven't got my computer specs on me but it's an 2010 iMac with 8gb RAM. The external harddrive is usb 3.0, 2TB.

I'd really love some input here.

The files that I'm working with are R3D-files and I need it to be output to a ProRes 4444-file.

Hopefully I posted this in the correct subforum.

Thanks,
Martin

Westside71
11-08-2013, 08:48 PM
Usually you do not want to render to a disk where your source files are located. I have separate disks for source and renders. Here is page with a pointers for increasing your speed in using After Effects. Also the Adobe After Effects forum has a lot of great advice in it. I'm sure your question would be answered there more thoroughly. Check out this page though.

http://helpx.adobe.com/after-effects/using/improve-performance.html

drapeama
11-08-2013, 10:19 PM
Usually you do not want to render to a disk where your source files are located. I have separate disks for source and renders.

That's what I was about to say. Use the project on one HDD, then render to another. Read & Write speeds will be maximized in your workflow.