PDA

View Full Version : Can this be done in After Effects?

Mixedcolors34
11-01-2013, 04:43 PM
Is there anyway I can replace the face on the game piece with another head? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHv5jgXz9I8 Someone wants to know if I could do it and I have no idea how I would go about do something like that.

Policar
11-02-2013, 08:08 AM
I think you could do this pretty simply, yes. You could do a pretty simple track (either two points in the built in tracker or a planar track in Mocha) on the game piece and either make the new piece's head bigger than the old one or if it's smaller/doesn't cover it entirely you'd do a simple matte painting on the background using a tracker on the background and a matte painting you synthesized in photoshop... or something.

Either way not too bad, but extremely fast/simple to do if you have the new game piece's head be bigger than the old one and cover it entirely.

danjenkins
11-02-2013, 01:44 PM
Is there anyway I can replace the face on the game piece with another head? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YHv5jgXz9I8 Someone wants to know if I could do it and I have no idea how I would go about do something like that.

Can this be done in AE? Of course it can, but it sounds like your answer to this "someone's" question is "No". If you have no idea how to do something then own up to it, you'd be surprised how much people respect honesty. Do you want to take the time to learn AE enough to accomplish this shot on your own? Maybe you can use this shot as a good place to start.

If you want to learn AE there are plenty of free resources available. Policar has given you the basic idea of where to start, but the tracking is only the first part. Do you want the new face to match the footage? Matching the grain and color/texture of the footage can be pretty tricky and takes some practice to achieve. If you don't match the grain and color the new face would simply float on top of the footage and look like a Jib-Jab e-card. If that's the look you want, then just learn about the tracker, it's all you need. But because this footage is so low res you are probably not going to get a perfect track automatically, it'll take some tweaking by hand. Again, that's depending on what the final shot wants to look like.

Very seriously, if you want to learn how to attack a shot like this, go watch some VideoCopilot tutorials. They are a wonderful place to start. Andrew will teach you the basics of how AE works and how to start thinking about the myriad tools available in AE. And if you do go to VideoCopilot, do not watch the newest tutorials first!!! You will be so confused and overwhelmed because he's using advanced processes, jargon and plug-ins. Go to the Basic Training section, or just to the bottom of the Tutorials page and start there.

Policar
11-02-2013, 03:29 PM
The above is true to the extent that something like this should be easy for anyone with a basic grasp on AE.

That said, nothing wrong with trying to do something you don't know how to. I worked briefly with a world famous photographer (in his field, at least) and he was constantly using youtube tutorials to figure things out when he didn't know how.

Westside71
11-02-2013, 10:18 PM
If you want to do something simple then this is very easy. The original video is on one layer. On the layer above is the head you want to attach to the game piece. Place the new head over the old one on the original video. Then enable position keyframes and adjust in spots where the game piece pulls ahead. I just did this in about two minutes. If you want it to blend with the old video exactly you have to do a bit of color correction. You could track as Policar said but that is for more advanced effects. I think in this case you would not have to be perfect as you want to draw attention to the different head. You could even replace the contestant in the picture in picture window. After Effects is a great program and worth investing some time on.

If you are interested check out the tutorials on videocopilot.net or the books by Trish and Chris Meyer. Good luck!

Mixedcolors34
11-04-2013, 05:47 PM
well yes I am learning AE, but I just wanted to know if it can be done and if there was any tutorials. Its not like this is a project or a "real thing" someone brought up as a conversation piece, I said I would give it shot, no one is expecting me to do anything, I just wanted to learn, no need to "own" up to anything. Trust me I don't say I'll do something if I don't know how, that would be stupid lol

Thanks for the links I'll check it out. I've actually learned a lot from Lydia.com they have really good videos there, I just don't use it because my trial ran up and I don't have the money to keep using it.