PDA

View Full Version : HorrorFest II - Official Viewing & Voting Thread (Now Live)

Jason Ramsey
10-30-2013, 07:51 PM
If you encounter any issues, please report them here.

How to watch? On the LandmineMedia YouTube page, there is a playlist:
http://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL9nZDprkOWBHqVGBjNciFeoQ8wIaC2HeI

How to vote?
This is how it will go down this time. If you are a registered member prior to this posting you may rate the films. This is a standard 1-10 rating on each film (with 1 being the lowest, and 10 being the highest). You do not rank the films. You *rate* the films. Watch a film, give it a rating of 1-10 (with 10 being the highest). Note: More than one film can have the same rating.

We will take an average of all of the ratings, and the highest scoring (compete, or exhibition) entry will receive "Audience Favorite" recognition from the popular vote of your dvxuser peers. There will also be a physical prize associated with this. Physical prizes are reserved for competition eligible entries only. This means, if the highest rated film is an exhibition film, it will receive that recognition, but will be ineligible for any physical prize. The physical prize will go to the next highest rated (competition eligible film)

If you would like to participate, and are a registered dvxuser member, please rate any or all films that you wish to rate, and send me a single private message with the name of each film and its corresponding rating that you have assigned to it.

The rest of the awards and prizes will be awarded this time by way of a Panel vote. Only fully approved entries will be eligible for the panel prizes and awards. Exhibition only films are ineligible for panel awards, prizes, or recognition. The Panel consists of Barry Green, Noel Evans, Zak Forsman, Brandon Rice, Jack Daniel Stanley, and Stephen Mick, with myself as an alternate. They will also (privately) rate every film on a scale of 1-10, the same way you guys/gals will. We will average the ratings of all panel members, and the top 3 will be awarded. Additional prizes may be available for special jury awards (i.e. best newcomer, best direction, etc.) The bulk of physical prizes will be awarded via the panel vote. There will also be a separate prize which consists of entry into a live horror festival. More info on prizes to come later.

Hope that makes sense.

Feel free to embed/link your films in your own film threads, on facebook, etc, etc. Just don't spam (i.e. don't register to a site that you aren't already active on simply to pimp your film or the festival).

The films are posted on the playlist in random order.

Please let me know if you have any issues or concerns.

Jason Ramsey
10-30-2013, 07:51 PM
reserved for embeds of all films

Hawk Teflon
10-30-2013, 09:45 PM
Very cool. I really like the panel idea. Very nice.

Brandon Rice
10-30-2013, 10:15 PM
Awesome!

AJ Brooks
10-30-2013, 11:37 PM
Sweet! I'm diggin' it! Thanks Jason.

Ki-Ki
10-31-2013, 06:01 AM
Great new system. Awesome.

Matt Harris
10-31-2013, 09:40 AM
Works like a charm, musta been a bazillion times easier for the mods compared to the old process!

Hawk Teflon
10-31-2013, 09:51 AM
Am I overlooking the vote page? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

Brandon Rice
10-31-2013, 09:59 AM
Works like a charm, musta been a bazillion times easier for the mods compared to the old process!

It was! :thumbsup:

Jason Ramsey
10-31-2013, 10:49 AM
Am I overlooking the vote page? I'm not seeing it anywhere.

See first post in this thread for info on voting :)

NICK ASH
10-31-2013, 02:09 PM
Just wondering, what is the cutoff for voting? Just want to make sure I have enough time after work to get my votes in.

Jason Ramsey
10-31-2013, 02:17 PM
I will leave it open for at least a week, and then I will check back with everyone and make sure that everyone that wanted to, has had the opportunity to vote.

AJ Brooks
10-31-2013, 03:01 PM
I take it JDS's "Suffer the Child" is not available yet?

Brandon Rice
10-31-2013, 03:03 PM
I believe he's at the 10 yard line :) so to speak...

AJ Brooks
10-31-2013, 03:06 PM
Haha. Awesome. :)

Cryogenic Filmworks
10-31-2013, 04:28 PM
How to vote?
This is how it will go down this time. If you are a registered member prior to this posting you may rate the films. This is a standard 1-10 rating on each film (with 1 being the lowest, and 10 being the highest). You do not rank the films. You *rate* the films. Watch a film, give it a rating of 1-10 (with 10 being the highest). Note: More than one film can have the same rating.

OK, call me stupid but......... is the voting on youtube itself? cause outside of logging into a youtube account (which I have not done yet) I do not see any way to rate anything with a 1-10

Brandon Rice
10-31-2013, 04:36 PM
OK, call me stupid but......... is the voting on youtube itself? cause outside of logging into a youtube account (which I have not done yet) I do not see any way to rate anything with a 1-10

From Jason's post.

If you would like to participate, and are a registered dvxuser member, please rate any or all films that you wish to rate, and send me a single private message with the name of each film and its corresponding rating that you have assigned to it.

Gord.T
10-31-2013, 05:18 PM
I've finished watching them all. I love the new format. There's some real gems in there.
Thanks dvxuser and all who entered.

Charli
10-31-2013, 05:23 PM
I agree with the new format. Very easy to watch. Yeah, I can't figure out where to vote either. Sigh.

AJ Brooks
10-31-2013, 05:42 PM
Yeah, I can't figure out where to vote either. Sigh.

Read the first post in THIS thread. Or the two posts directly before yours.

Charli
10-31-2013, 05:55 PM
Oh, good Lord! Thanks AJ. Send the ratings to Jason. Got it. Will do that in a day or two.

Barry_Green
10-31-2013, 06:15 PM
TO VOTE: Send a PM to Jason Ramsey, including your ballot.

Ballot format should be like this:
FILM NAME / RATING (1=bad, 10=great)
Scary Hairy Fairies / 7
OctoberFeast / 9
Lost Boyz / 4
Elemental, Dear Watson / 7
Choose Or Die / 5
Good Night, Pansy / 8
Fish Or Cut Throat / 7

(obviously those film names are just made-up examples)

Do NOT rank the films (i.e., your favorite gets a "10", your second choice gets a "9", etc). Instead, just rate each film individually, on a scale of 1 to 10, and it's totally okay if more than one film shares the same rating.

Cryogenic Filmworks
10-31-2013, 09:14 PM
From Jason's post.

Thanks Brandon. I tend to skim read so I miss things......

Brandon Rice
10-31-2013, 09:47 PM
No worries! Barry actually did a nice job above being more detailed on how to rate. :thumbsup:

Tim Joy
11-02-2013, 06:54 PM
Would be nice to have a list ready to copy and paste. :D

Noel Evans
11-03-2013, 06:06 PM
Would be nice to have a list ready to copy and paste. :D

Don’t say we don’t listen :P

Tequilawoo - EFFLUVIAN / SCORE:

BenBrown - THE VISITATION / SCORE:

ZazaCast - FRESH MEAT / SCORE:

NICK ASH - THE WELL / SCORE:

Lynchenstein - BEAR / SCORE:

Matthew B - ARABELLA / SCORE:

JaceDaniel - THE INTRUDER / SCORE:

Gulroc - ABANDON HOPE / SCORE:

AJ Brooks - THE TWO WOLVES / SCORE:

Andy Olson - BLACKOUT / SCORE:

zucked - THE MONKEY'S PAW / SCORE:

Elton WOLF TREE / SCORE:

Marlon Ladd - KILL SHIFT / SCORE:

Brandon Rice - WELCOME BACK TO THE PARTY / SCORE:

Jared Brownlow
11-03-2013, 06:23 PM
Minor detail, but change that to Jared Brownlow - THE INTRUDER rather than JaceDaniel - THE INTRUDER

Brandon Rice
11-03-2013, 09:08 PM
Just quickly revised the list to add WBTTP which is exhibition only and isn't up for any prizes, but is still rated for audience choice, thanks.

Matthew B
11-05-2013, 02:26 AM
Watched and commented on all films. Well done everyone, solid entries all around. The only criticism I have is that I think I preferred when the time limit for these fest's was only 6 minutes, it felt as though a lot of the shorts could have been more succinct if they were a couple of minutes shorter.

A minor criticism. All in all I think everyone should be proud of what they submitted.

AJ Brooks
11-05-2013, 08:34 AM
I'd love to see a 4 min. max fest.

There hasn't been a film (of any fest) that couldn't have been told in a 4 min version -- most would have benefited from the short time constraint!

As an exercise, I plan to cut a 4 or 5 min version of my film, just to see what happens. Might be a better. Might be worse. We'll see. :)

Barry_Green
11-05-2013, 09:21 AM
I totally agree about the time limit, with every film in the fest I found them a bit dragging and thought they all could have benefitted from being tightened up a bit.

As an exercise, I plan to cut a 4 or 5 min version of my film, just to see what happens. Might be a better. Might be worse. We'll see.Applaud that effort -- that's exactly the type of experimentation that will refine your skillset and make you overall a better filmmaker. Just the sheer horror of facing cutting some of your favorite footage, just to see what happens, can open your mind to possibilities you didn't see before. I once slashed a 7.5-minute film down to 2.5 minutes and found that I liked it a lot, lot more... anyway, yes, great exercise. You may find you can't make it watchable at that short of a runtime, but -- hey, you won't know until you try. And the age-old advice for any scene is "get in as late as possible, and get out as quickly as possible" so ... give it a try. It may help. And if not, well, the worst that will happen is that you'll understand your filming style and pacing better, and that's always a good thing.

JaceDaniel
11-05-2013, 09:32 AM
its not about the time limit, its about what you can do within the time limit. I'm thinking of great movies like Return of the King which is a good 3 1/2 hours, to Gravity which is only an hour and a half.
Two of my most well received shorts; one was 25mins, the other was 2mins

Lynchenstein
11-06-2013, 02:41 PM
I found 10 minutes to be plenty of time. I came in at just over 8 minutes before credits. The first cut was around 10 and I managed to tighten it up quite a bit. It was nice to have the leeway to linger on a few shots and have some fun with the intro montage.

AJ - I'm glad you took the time in Two Wolves, the slow dolly shot at the beginning was sublime. I'm sure you can tell any story in 4 minutes, but you can have more eye candy and slow tension and buildup given more time.

Jason Ramsey
11-07-2013, 08:39 AM
Going to give everyone through the weekend to get your votes in to me. I will announce winners on Monday.

NICK ASH
11-07-2013, 09:17 AM
Awesome! Looking forward to it.:thumbsup:

Brandon Rice
11-07-2013, 10:29 AM
As always, thanks for your hard work Jason!

JaceDaniel
11-09-2013, 12:33 PM
Good fest everyone! Wishing I could have had an entry of my own, but I still got to be part of two great ones so I'm thankful for that! :D
My top 6:
1. The Two Wolves
2. Arabella
3. The Intruder (Despite the fact I started the thread, The director is Jared Brownlow, it is not my film)
4. Effluvium
5. Blackout
6. The Monkey's Paw

bluemanrocks
11-11-2013, 08:14 AM
Best of luck to all!

:)

JaceDaniel
11-11-2013, 09:31 PM
so when do we get the voting results?

Chris Messineo
11-12-2013, 06:03 AM
I totally agree about the time limit, with every film in the fest I found them a bit dragging and thought they all could have benefitted from being tightened up a bit.

My thoughts exactly. I watched three of the films and they all would have been stronger with a much shorter time limit/tighter editing.

Matthew B
11-12-2013, 12:13 PM
My thoughts exactly. I watched three of the films and they all would have been stronger with a much shorter time limit/tighter editing.

Hey Chris, where were you and your students this time around?

Chris Messineo
11-13-2013, 01:50 PM
Hey Chris, where were you and your students this time around?

Horror is a tough genre to do in a school environment. Hopefully, they'll pick a different genre next time and we'll be back.

Chris_Keaton
11-13-2013, 08:56 PM
Horror is a tough genre to do in a school environment. Hopefully, they'll pick a different genre next time and we'll be back.

Hah, next time I'll give you a family friendly horror.

JaceDaniel
11-13-2013, 09:53 PM
When we going to see them results? The suspense is killing me ;)

Lynchenstein
11-14-2013, 03:16 PM
The suspense is killing me ;)

It's all part of the fest.

You're on the edge of your seat. Your hands: cold and clammy. You're wondering what's going on, "how can they possibly be taking so long to get that Excel spreadsheet calculating properly?"

Then when you least expect it, you log in and BOOOM!! A Results Thread!

You let out a scream that would embarass a 6-year-old girl, then quickly look around to see if anyone heard you. You relax a little when you notice everyone else in the office are looking around, wondering how the 6-year-old girl got in there, and where she's gotten off to. You breath deeply to calm yourself. The mouse pointer quivers on the screen, your hands are shaking so much. You manage to zero-in on the results link and click. The page is loading agonizingly slowly...you click a few more times, each time harder than the last. The spinning icon mocks you. Just as you're about to refresh the damn page....Results!! You scan for your film...from the bottom up...and then you get to your film...and...you can't believe your eyes...

[spoilers...]

I guess we'll just have to wait! :-)

../c

Jason Ramsey
11-15-2013, 11:02 AM
Hey, guys. I do apologize. I will tally the votes up today, I promise, and will do my best to get it posted by this evening.

Lynchenstein
11-15-2013, 02:50 PM
No worries, thanks Jason.

JaceDaniel
11-16-2013, 10:20 AM
tick, tock, tick, tock

AJ Brooks
11-16-2013, 10:47 AM
Sorry for the delay everyone -- Jason sent me a PM to let everyone know that unfortunately NO ONE from this contest actually won. The real winner is the team behind ERNEST GOES TO JAIL. It's such a good movie that even though they didn't enter, they are still #1. The filmmakers will be notified shortly and a statue made for Jim.

Matthew B
11-16-2013, 12:00 PM
Sorry for the delay everyone -- Jason sent me a PM to let everyone know that unfortunately NO ONE from this contest actually won. The real winner is the team behind ERNEST GOES TO JAIL. It's such a good movie that even though they didn't enter, they are still #1. The filmmakers will be notified shortly and a statue made for Jim.

LOL. I knew it.

Hawk Teflon
11-16-2013, 12:36 PM
Well, I mean, it makes sense. Maybe next time, guys.

Cryogenic Filmworks
11-17-2013, 11:02 AM
hmmmmm. Still wondering if anyone won. The longer it drags out the less interested I think I be...

JaceDaniel
11-17-2013, 02:46 PM
I'm starting to feel the same way

Noel Evans
11-18-2013, 12:42 PM
Coming...

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-18-2013, 10:16 PM
Panel Vote is up BTW (thanks to Noel)
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?316302-And-the-winners-are