PDA

View Full Version : Mamá

alex whitmer
10-29-2013, 07:26 PM
Not to sound like an ass on the eve-ish of the fest, but I have long believed horror is tragically mired in rehash (Walking Dead comes quickly to mind). I guess with that attitude I'm never going to be good at writing it, and hence nothing in the fest. That said, when you see something like this ...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WRqS6pBC42w#t=0

... it can really shift your paradigm on what horror is all about. And for those of you who get all squeamish about working with kids, let this be an eye-opener for you.

I'm still limping along on a hurricane-wasted computer, but will do my best to watch the films.

aw

Matt Harris
10-30-2013, 12:07 AM
this was a great short that was scooped up by del toro and he produced the feature length MAMA last year. the short was better than the feature film sadly.

Elton
10-30-2013, 12:31 PM
Trust me, there are good reasons to be squeamish about working with kids. :)

Point well taken about horror, but for many it's comfort food where cliché is a-ok. It's not re-inventing the wheel--more like trying to get the vehicle off the cinder blocks in the driveway and making it around the neighborhood before you break down again.

Matt Harris
10-30-2013, 12:40 PM
There's as much rehash in horror as there are other genres whether it be drama, comedy, action or romance.

It's up to the writer and director to not rehash.

me? i rehash it all. i love rehashing. maybe i'm just a realistic.

because even when we think we are original, we are subliminally rehashing concepts we have seen or read before.

Elton
10-30-2013, 01:25 PM
I love me some rehash browns with my Jimmy Dean's!!