PDA

View Full Version : 1080p or 4k: Stop-motion & Timelapse Project

hojomo
10-26-2013, 03:22 PM
I have been a lurker on the forums for a long time, and this is my first post. Thanks so much for contributing to this forum, it has been an excellent source of information. I look forward to contributing in the future!

Anyways, I have a short film project that consists of several timelapse and stop-motion sequences. They are a mix of Nikon D800, D7000 & V2 RAW stills -- so I have the option of creating this @ 4K & 1080p (24p in either case).

My computer specs/storage/etc. can accomodate 4k, so that isn't a factor. I guess my main obstacle is understanding how to proceed for planning both a 1080p & 4k version of this film. The different aspect ratios and corresponding framing differences have me stumped as to how to go about achieve my vision for both versions.

What would be the typical approach? Build all the FX in 4k and just frame the scaled-down 1080p version as best I can? The two most important sequences have a lot of important FX going on in the top-right of the frame (essential detail is within safe areas). The AE "4k" aspect ratio is the most pleasing choice for _those sequences_. Producing framing I like in both formats for most sequences has proven pretty difficult however.

Is my mistake in choosing the AE default "4k" composition setting in the first place? Is the Cineon or a custom pixel dimension closer to 16:9 the way to go?

In future projects, do I need to shoot the scenes and frame to allow me more flexibility? I shot wider, most sequences can be scaled in AE to allow pan and scan/framing flexibility already I felt.

My ultimate goal is to have the option to release a web 1080p version, as well as a 4k version to submit to film festivals.

Thanks for you time!

hojomo
10-26-2013, 08:25 PM
I think I answered my own question and realized Quad HD (3840 x 2160) is probably the best route to create this project in, and subsequently downscale to 1080p