PDA

View Full Version : Kill Shift - A Marlon Ladd & Hawk Teflon film

Marlon Ladd
10-16-2013, 09:48 AM
Glad to be back! Lots of stuff coming soon.

Big thanks to Matt Harris for making this sweet poster!!

Marlon Ladd
10-16-2013, 09:49 AM
Here are some grabs, finally! Only the last has been cc'd.

Marlon Ladd
10-16-2013, 09:50 AM
Reserved for bts.

Marlon Ladd
10-16-2013, 09:50 AM
More stuff.

NICK ASH
10-16-2013, 09:59 AM
Alright, looking forward to what you have brewing. Good luck!

Matt Harris
10-16-2013, 10:04 AM
great title guys!

Hawk Teflon
10-16-2013, 10:04 AM
"Reserved for bts" ...wait, were we supposed to be shooting that, too? I'M ONLY ONE MAN, MARLON!

Although there should be a good file I kept rolling on when we were "interrupted." I assume we caught some of that audio.

Chris_Keaton
10-16-2013, 10:36 AM
It's the dream team!

zucked
10-16-2013, 11:08 AM
excited for this, good luck!

Hawk Teflon
10-16-2013, 12:21 PM
This was kind of a tough one for me. We shot at a location that hasn't had power in probably 20 years. But with the busted windows and "sky lights" we figured we'd have enough lighting. And then the gray Oklahoma overcast sky reared its ugly head. Fortunately the clouds broke long enough for us to get something shot.

pborghee
10-16-2013, 01:53 PM
OHHHHHHH The team I was previously working with has came out of the water. Dont get your feelings hurt when we tear you guys up lol. Na, Glad to see my boys Marlon and Alec back in business. Always a tough team to beat.

Brandon Rice
10-16-2013, 02:00 PM
Wow... here we go!

Hawk Teflon
10-16-2013, 02:35 PM
Pborghee, I sent you a message on facebook to join up with us. I mean, I made it facebook official! What more do you want? Marlon had even gone out and bought the M&M's you require for your shoots (the green ones), but it just wasn't enough, was it?

pborghee
10-16-2013, 03:39 PM
I know man my new Galaxy Note 3 really dropped the ball. I HAVE to have the green ones and strawberry milk approx 13 oz. Maybe you guys can come over and watch my willing film when this is all over.

ZazaCast
10-16-2013, 11:14 PM
well, well, well.... what have we here? This fest just keeps getting better & better! Great to see you guys putting something together in the gray skies of Oklahoma, can't wait
to see what you've conjured up for this one.
:beer:

Marlon Ladd
10-17-2013, 10:33 AM
So, the rough, rough cut is done. I'm tweaking it and messing with the audio now while Hawk is doing VFX stuff. It's coming together quite nicely, me thinks. Hoping to get some grabs up by tonight or tomorrow.

Elton
10-17-2013, 10:39 AM
Bring it! Nice to see you guys back at it here

AJ Brooks
10-17-2013, 11:14 AM
Nice! This is gonna be fun.

Marlon Ladd
10-18-2013, 01:21 PM
Like I said, definitely glad to be back!

Sooooo, I hate foley!!!! I've been on this thing every spare moment and we're getting close! The audio is mostly done aside from the sound mix and I think I've even found a cc that I like that I need to run by Hawk. There's a few VFX shots to do, the musical score and then it's a done deal.

Scott F
10-18-2013, 05:14 PM
Best title, IMO

(although I am also partial to "the Death Killers")

Marlon Ladd
10-18-2013, 09:49 PM
Thanks, Scott. Lol! Took some thinking to come up with that too.

Marlon Ladd
10-18-2013, 09:50 PM
Here are some grabs, finally! Only the last has been cc'd.
Grabbage!

Matt Harris
10-18-2013, 10:19 PM
nice CC on the last shot marlon. it's a great look bro.

ZazaCast
10-19-2013, 12:01 AM
That stuff is looking great! Too bad you didn't shoot on a DVX... :thumbsup:

NICK ASH
10-19-2013, 01:40 AM
Hahaha....ball busters man.

Hey, it is looking great. I'm psyched up to see this. Everyone's films are looking awesome.

Hawk Teflon
10-19-2013, 10:24 AM
That stuff is looking great! Too bad you didn't shoot on a DVX... :thumbsup:

I agree. Our budget only allowed for my Samsung Galaxy S3.

Marlon Ladd
10-21-2013, 02:42 AM
So, after getting through a pretty decent rough cut, we went out and did re-shoots today. There's just never enough time. I had delusions of grandeur about all the extra shots I wanted to get, but the sun didn't see it that way.:Drogar-Mad(DBG): Oh well. We did get the shots we needed and I'm ecstatic about all, but a few. We also picked up a few more shots that I think might pump up the volume and add more sense to the story. It's almost 4 A.M. now and I'm done editing for the night, but I'll have some more grabs probably tomorrow.

NICK ASH
10-21-2013, 08:00 AM
Same here....I had only 2 days to grab my footage as I couldn't afford the sound guy any longer than that and I had already waited too long to film leaving very little time for post production sound. On our last day, I was super stressed not thinking I would get the shots I needed. I wish I did have some more shots to help tie things together a little bit better but like you said, the Sun wasn't having it. Again, like you said, there's never enough time and I had delusions of grandeur.

In the end, it all came together and I hope it is something that is resonably enjoyable.

Elton
10-21-2013, 10:11 AM
Time is always the enemy. He's very sneaky

Marlon Ladd
10-21-2013, 10:51 AM
Same here....I had only 2 days to grab my footage as I couldn't afford the sound guy any longer than that and I had already waited too long to film leaving very little time for post production sound. On our last day, I was super stressed not thinking I would get the shots I needed. I wish I did have some more shots to help tie things together a little bit better but like you said, the Sun wasn't having it. Again, like you said, there's never enough time and I had delusions of grandeur.

In the end, it all came together and I hope it is something that is resonably enjoyable.

Yep, that's exactly how I feel. I hope it's as enjoyable as we intended. I have such a different feeling about Kill Shift, because there's a few key things that we're doing that have to be done right to make everything else work. If we can pull those off then we're cookin' with Crisco!!

Time is always the enemy. He's very sneaky
You're right, Elton! At the start of the day, time is your friend and everything is all laid back and cool. But by the end of the day, time has dumped you and taken off with your best friend and all your stuff. Lol!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-21-2013, 11:01 AM
Looking great, guys! Love that graded shot. Once you pull all the goodness out of what you've shot I'm sure everything will look great.
And the title rocks!

All the best in the Fest. Really looking forward to this.

Marlon Ladd
10-21-2013, 02:16 PM
Thanks, MAH!! Wish you were in this time. Won't be the same without you, but you've definitely put your time in and left your mark in the fests!

EricHolden
10-21-2013, 06:04 PM
I'm super excited as well can't wait to see what we've done and how u worked your magic

Marlon Ladd
10-22-2013, 11:27 AM
I'm super excited as well can't wait to see what we've done and how u worked your magic

Hey, thanks for all your hard work and dedication. This thing is coming together nicely!

For those that don't know, Eric is one of the stars in our film. He's new to Dvxuser and just made his first post. There's no looking back now. Lol.

Marlon Ladd
10-22-2013, 11:30 AM
Quick update:
The timeline is really close to being locked. I'll have to add a few more sound fx and tweak the audio before doing the mix. Then we've still got to color correct and finish up the VFX and music score and then we're done! Oh and credits! I hate credits!!!

EricHolden
10-22-2013, 05:09 PM
Hey, thanks for all your hard work and dedication. This thing is coming together nicely!

For those that don't know, Eric is one of the stars in our film. He's new to Dvxuser and just made his first post. There's no looking back now. Lol.

Already thanks for lettin me be a part of greatness...let's get it!!!!

Marlon Ladd
10-23-2013, 04:57 AM
The new poster courtesy of Matt is up!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
10-23-2013, 07:46 AM
That poster is sweet!!

Great job, Matt.

Elton
10-23-2013, 10:21 AM
Love the poster! Nice work Matt!

zucked
10-23-2013, 01:04 PM
SICK poster. Nice job Matt + all involved!

Hawk Teflon
10-26-2013, 12:24 PM
Rotoscoping is a 4 letter word.

Marlon Ladd
10-28-2013, 01:34 PM
SICK poster. Nice job Matt + all involved!

Thanks, man! We're all working hard over here and I'm glad Matt has been part of the team. Huge help.

Rotoscoping is a 4 letter word.

Yeah, but which one? I can think of a few. :)

UPDATE:
As we're nearing the deadline, all I can say is that this is some BS!! Why is this editing T A K I N G S O L O N G???? WTF??? I've been at this for weeks! Okay, enough complaining, here are the real updates:
1. The cc is all done (finally).
2. The audio still needs to be mixed.
3. Picture is locked and some of the score is done. The rest will be finished tonight.
4. All the VFX is finished except for a couple of shots. They should be done tonight or tomorrow (yes, before the deadline).
5. Credits still need to be done.
6. There's about 16 more things on my "To-do" list that I think will make the film even better, so I'll also be working on those tonight. They won't take long to do, but they're kind of tedious.

It's been fun to get back on the dvx wagon and take it for a ride. Dvx has taught me so much about filmmaking it's ridiculous. I even met Hawk through this site and we've done countless projects together now, including Bad To The Jones. Not to mention all of my other friends on the site that continually give invaluable advice to help my projects get to that next level. You guys know who you are, so thanks (if I haven't told you already).

I'm excited for Kill Shift to be seen. We've done several things that we've never done before and I think they're fantastic. I always see these things on TV or in a movie and say, hey, we can do that. Well, this time we actually did.

More updates coming soon.

ZazaCast
10-28-2013, 02:19 PM
Sounds like everything is under control and as always, I look forward to your film!
If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact Hawk about it....I mean really....all he seems to be doing is a little rotoscoping & complaining. :shocked:

:thumbsup::evil:

Elton
10-28-2013, 02:42 PM
I can relate, Marlon! Good luck and very much looking foreard to seeing this entry!

Hawk Teflon
10-28-2013, 02:48 PM
If you need anything else, please don't hesitate to contact Hawk about it....I mean really....all he seems to be doing is a little rotoscoping & complaining. :shocked:

Marlon Ladd
10-29-2013, 03:06 PM
So, there are always forces working against you. I had this all planned. After working through the night and the morning, I had to be at work today from 11:30A - 5:30P. I was going to go home, make the last minute tweaks and start exporting no later than 10P. Well, plan has gone to sh*t! Work called me to stay over until 11P!! Yeah, and there's no way out of it. But guess what?!! We're getting this thing done and uploaded on time come hell or high water. I'm an independent filmmaker for a reason MFs! We can do and will!

Alec and I are working on a plan as we speak.

Hawk Teflon
10-29-2013, 10:15 PM
Went over to Marlon's tonight to finish up some editing on the timeline due to scheduling conflicts. It's so weird jumping into the tail end of someone else's edit. I've never done that before. I really think it turned out well though. We even did a few revisions through facetime. The export should be done now, and he'll be checking it out and making any final revisions if necessary, followed by the upload. I needed a few files from Matt tonight and he turned them around super fast. It's always great working with people who are talented and know what they're doing. Totally makes things go by much smoother. Kudos, guys!

Matt Harris
10-30-2013, 01:11 AM
Nice guys, congrats! I'm psyched to see the final final version.

Marlon Ladd
10-30-2013, 11:05 AM
Soooo, technology is amazing! You guys don't know what we had to go through to get this thing done. Last night Hawk was at my house on my CPU (my PRECIOUS!!) trying to finish up the last big things to do. Where was I?? Forced to stay at work! But I was able to sent files via email, record stuff that needed to be done and face time to be able to coordinate. While we were doing that, Matt was kickin' a** on some files he had to finish up. Everything came together and we got it done and got 'we done good! Can't wait for you guys to check it out and I want to give another thanks to the team that helped this thing really come to life.

Brandon Rice
10-30-2013, 11:08 AM
Soooo, technology is amazing! You guys don't know what we had to go through to get this thing done. Last night Hawk was at my house on my CPU (my PRECIOUS!!) trying to finish up the last big things to do. Where was I?? Forced to stay at work! But I was able to sent files via email, record stuff that needed to be done and face time to be able to coordinate. While we were doing that, Matt was kickin' a** on some files he had to finish up. Everything came together and we got it done and got 'we done good! Can't wait for you guys to check it out and I want to give another thanks to the team that helped this thing really come to life.

Awesome! Technology is amazing isn't it? I remember using Facetime years ago while I cut Larry's westfest film!

We used so much technology, file transfers, etc. on this film as well.

Matt Harris
10-30-2013, 11:11 AM
Marlon, whenever I'm at work and Hawk's at my place editing, I always notice all my beer is gone and there's usually a piece of jewelry missing. You too?
JK, great job and major props to Hawk who pulled this off at the last minute and saved the day!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
11-01-2013, 08:31 AM
To all involved, great job!

Now this is a HorrorFest film. I haven't watched them all yet, almost done. But I have a feeling I'm looking at one of the top three. Could be #1.

Loved the circling camera in the beginning. Solid acting all around. Hell, even the closing credits looked amazing. And this felt like a complete short. Great concept. Good location too.

And the older version of yourself at the end, very nice way to bookend the movie.
Very smooth work, fellas.

Gotta watch the rest now.

ZazaCast
11-02-2013, 07:27 PM
Sweet! Marlon gets my 'Best Male Lead' in this one. I was hooked from the first frame and nothing seemed to be out of place...what a ride.
Great location and all the actors hit their mark. Hawk did a great job on the rotoscoping (I ALMOST couldn't see it :happy:). As MAH said, loved
how the opening & ending tied it all together. I'm usually not a fan of all the (Michael Bay) lens flare and visual EFX but it didn't take away from the story.

Excellent job, but again I've seen what you guys can do when you put your mind to it! Congrats.

Matthew B
11-05-2013, 03:12 AM
Really nice entry guys. Solid performances and great set BTW. I'm a sucker for an action film, so this has a bit of a soft spot for me.
I did feel as though the cinematography was very inconsistent. One shot would look great, then the next would look not as great, almost as though it was shot on two different cameras.

I loved the opening shots with the old man and the cool particle effect, well done on that Hawk. And nice performance Marlon.

Marlon Ladd
11-06-2013, 11:26 AM
To all involved, great job!

Now this is a HorrorFest film. I haven't watched them all yet, almost done. But I have a feeling I'm looking at one of the top three. Could be #1.

Loved the circling camera in the beginning. Solid acting all around. Hell, even the closing credits looked amazing. And this felt like a complete short. Great concept. Good location too.

And the older version of yourself at the end, very nice way to bookend the movie.
Very smooth work, fellas.

Gotta watch the rest now.

Thanks, MAH!! Big praise coming from you. Your critiques are always right on and greatly appreciated.

Sweet! Marlon gets my 'Best Male Lead' in this one. I was hooked from the first frame and nothing seemed to be out of place...what a ride.
Great location and all the actors hit their mark. Hawk did a great job on the rotoscoping (I ALMOST couldn't see it :happy:). As MAH said, loved
how the opening & ending tied it all together. I'm usually not a fan of all the (Michael Bay) lens flare and visual EFX but it didn't take away from the story.

Excellent job, but again I've seen what you guys can do when you put your mind to it! Congrats.

Thanks, ZaZa! Glad we could be competing with you in yet another dvx fest. This is where it all started for many of us. We took our lumps and kept on going. Thanks so much for the critique! So glad you enjoyed it and I'm still so super excited about your film. I just can't tell you how cool it is to see a fellow filmmaker do his thing and you definitely did YOUR thing!

Really nice entry guys. Solid performances and great set BTW. I'm a sucker for an action film, so this has a bit of a soft spot for me.
I did feel as though the cinematography was very inconsistent. One shot would look great, then the next would look not as great, almost as though it was shot on two different cameras.

I loved the opening shots with the old man and the cool particle effect, well done on that Hawk. And nice performance Marlon.

Thanks, Matt! Glad you enjoyed it. The opening is probably my favorite part of the film. Matt Harris provided the cc on those shots and they turned out fantastic! I'm curious though about what shots you may be talking about being inconsistent. Can you give me an example?

Also thought your film was excellent and I'll be getting to your thread soon as well. Thanks for dropping in.

Chris_Keaton
11-08-2013, 10:18 PM
Not sure why you went with the funny DVX opener. Nice location. The start felt a little slow for me. I think that may be because the threat wasn't made clear initially, so what should've been tension felt like filler...initially, but once we see the monster well then it all works. Very nice!

Chris_Keaton
11-09-2013, 08:27 AM
Oh and for some reason I had to crank my sound all the way up to hear it.

Matt Harris
11-09-2013, 09:23 PM
I loved this short guys, Marlon and Hawk, great job. I'm a sucker for sci-fi soldiers with guns skulking around abandoned buildings, and you nailed it.
Solid acting all around, all 4 of you. I particularly liked the exchange between the guy and the girl, how we got a glimpse of their relationship, and then she shanks him.
I bought it, it just worked for me. You created a world here, and it was believable. Shape Shifter effects were awesome. Marlon I like how you had yourself as an old man at the end, waiting, guns drawn, for the return of the Shape Shifter. It gave the movie more of an epic feel. I'd certainly love to see you turn this into a feature or webisodes series. I think it's my favorite thing you have ever done!

Matthew B
11-09-2013, 09:46 PM
Thanks, Matt! Glad you enjoyed it. The opening is probably my favorite part of the film. Matt Harris provided the cc on those shots and they turned out fantastic! I'm curious though about what shots you may be talking about being inconsistent. Can you give me an example?

Also thought your film was excellent and I'll be getting to your thread soon as well. Thanks for dropping in.

Sorry Marlon only just saw this. The inconsistency could easily be fixed with a tweak on some of the grade. A handful of examples to give you an idea:
- the cu at 1:05 has much more of a greener bias than the previous shot and the next shot.
- 1:53 & again at 2:02 - this is one of the shots that to me feels like a different camera, not as crushed as the other graded shots.
- 2:54 - more magenta bias than previous shot.
- 2:55 - back to green bias.
Just simple little things like that, could most likely be fixed with another grade. But this is just nitpicky stuff.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-11-2013, 11:41 PM
Cool to see everyone banding together to get this thing cut and uploaded BTW!

The DVX bumper is awesome. But pretty sure it doesn’t match the tone of your movie.

The anamorphic flares in the very opening shot are a bit much IMHO, but I love all the flares and stuff on the close shot of the old man’s hand. Beautiful.

Nice location with the police guys. Nice steadicam.

SPOILERS

Ah man. Why you gotta kill the sistah first? Kill the other dude.
...Oh good she’s back. But what happened to her? Suspense.

END SPOILERS

I like these darker shot of you with the flashlight a lot. They don’t see to match the reverse though. Doesn’t seem like you need a flashlight in your OTS.

Very much like the far low dutch angle shot in the hallway.

SPOILERS

Oh don’t trust her dood - she’s changed. Don’t! Don’t! Too late.
Oh snap didn’t see the shape shift effect coming and nicely done.
Nice acting and lighting for the Evil Version of his partner - the shadow of his cap plays well. Subtle but clear.

END SPOILERS

Nice combat and choreography.

One suggestion - maybe dub the other actor with your voice at the end so it matches. You’re doing a pretty good older voice over. His line doesn’t match and is maybe not as good. Conversely, maybe have him do the voice over?

Ggod short and your After Effects is redonkulous.

Nice job as usual sir.

Marlon Ladd
11-14-2013, 03:00 PM
Not sure why you went with the funny DVX opener. Nice location. The start felt a little slow for me. I think that may be because the threat wasn't made clear initially, so what should've been tension felt like filler...initially, but once we see the monster well then it all works. Very nice!

Oh and for some reason I had to crank my sound all the way up to hear it.

Thanks for stopping by, Chris. Glad to see you liked our film. I don't know what the deal with the sound is. It's fine on my end and I haven't heard anybody else say anything, so I'm not sure. I would like to know if it was on my end, because I'd definitely need to fix that.

You thought it started slow? Really? I thought it started pretty fast. Lol. And that was our intent (not to start slow).

I loved this short guys, Marlon and Hawk, great job. I'm a sucker for sci-fi soldiers with guns skulking around abandoned buildings, and you nailed it.
Solid acting all around, all 4 of you. I particularly liked the exchange between the guy and the girl, how we got a glimpse of their relationship, and then she shanks him.
I bought it, it just worked for me. You created a world here, and it was believable. Shape Shifter effects were awesome. Marlon I like how you had yourself as an old man at the end, waiting, guns drawn, for the return of the Shape Shifter. It gave the movie more of an epic feel. I'd certainly love to see you turn this into a feature or webisodes series. I think it's my favorite thing you have ever done!

Thanks, Matt! Big praise, man!! Your favorite out of everything I've done. I'll definitely take that as a compliment! Glad you enjoyed it and thanks a million for all of your help and assistance. Couldn't have done it without you. And just wait, there'll be bigger and better things to come for sure.

Sorry Marlon only just saw this. The inconsistency could easily be fixed with a tweak on some of the grade. A handful of examples to give you an idea:
- the cu at 1:05 has much more of a greener bias than the previous shot and the next shot.
- 1:53 & again at 2:02 - this is one of the shots that to me feels like a different camera, not as crushed as the other graded shots.
- 2:54 - more magenta bias than previous shot.
- 2:55 - back to green bias.
Just simple little things like that, could most likely be fixed with another grade. But this is just nitpicky stuff.

Okay, Matt, so I looked at the places you're talking about and those weren't different cameras. It was just that the cc must've been a little off in those places because of the light. I'm sure you know how long it can take to get the cc just right. So, I'll have to go back and take an even closer look. Thanks! We actually did use 2 different cameras, but if anybody can tell the difference, you've got some amazing skill. Most of the cam 2 shots actually look better than the cam 1 shots they were re-shot for to replace. Most of the film was shot on the FS700 and the re-shoots were on the GH3. A good mixture of shots were in the scene where the guy and girl are talking and she stabs him. Also, later in the hallway where I'm talking to the Kill Shift.

Thanks for dropping in!

Marlon Ladd
11-14-2013, 03:19 PM
Cool to see everyone banding together to get this thing cut and uploaded BTW!

The DVX bumper is awesome. But pretty sure it doesnít match the tone of your movie.

The anamorphic flares in the very opening shot are a bit much IMHO, but I love all the flares and stuff on the close shot of the old manís hand. Beautiful.

Nice location with the police guys. Nice steadicam.

SPOILERS

Ah man. Why you gotta kill the sistah first? Kill the other dude.
...Oh good sheís back. But what happened to her? Suspense.

END SPOILERS

I like these darker shot of you with the flashlight a lot. They donít see to match the reverse though. Doesnít seem like you need a flashlight in your OTS.

Very much like the far low dutch angle shot in the hallway.

SPOILERS

Oh donít trust her dood - sheís changed. Donít! Donít! Too late.
Oh snap didnít see the shape shift effect coming and nicely done.
Nice acting and lighting for the Evil Version of his partner - the shadow of his cap plays well. Subtle but clear.

END SPOILERS

Nice combat and choreography.

One suggestion - maybe dub the other actor with your voice at the end so it matches. Youíre doing a pretty good older voice over. His line doesnít match and is maybe not as good. Conversely, maybe have him do the voice over?

Ggod short and your After Effects is redonkulous.

Nice job as usual sir.

LMAO, Jack!!!! Your spoilers are hilarious, man!!! I was hoping I'd get somebody on some sympathy with the sista' gettin' snatched up first. :) You sound like you were watching the movie and yelling at the screen the whole time. :Drogar-BigGrin(DBG)

Thanks for dropping in. You made some really good points. About the flashlight, you're right. There was more light in front of him, but if you're in a building where there are dark places and well lit places, you just keep it on. When seconds count and you're expecting something to jump out at you, no time to pull it out or to try and remember to hit the button to turn it on, especially when your first reaction might be to pull that trigger. Having said that, I would've liked to have that specific area more shadowed, which would've made that part more convincing.

Chris Keaton also talked about the dvx leader. Hey, I didn't make that. Lol. I saw a thread where Noel posted it and it's nice, so I threw it in. Didn't occur to me at all that it didn't fit. Hey, it was Halloween and it's a Halloween film. Did it make people think the film was going to be, a comedy or something?

Right on about the voice. The 'old man' is actually my dad. I don't know if anybody remembers, but several years back I almost didn't make the festival deadline, because my dad was in really bad shape in the hospital. Very fitting that he's doing better and was able to step in for me and do a great job. I was going to use his voice for the VO, but my dad was actually sick with a cold and his voice was very nasal. You can actually hear it a little bit on his last line. Since we filmed that scene the weekend before the deadline, there was no time to have him do it, unfortunately.

Thanks again for dropping by! Now, when's your film going to be done??

lawriejaffa
12-20-2013, 06:46 PM
KILL SHIFT

CLASSIC Marlon Ladd territory here – we got a brother armed and ready to fight against a legion of post apocalyptic meanies. Over-dramatic score and full of bombast (you could direct the next Royal Wedding over here in good ol' Blighty Marlon.)

I love the start and end with the old chap ready to take out an unending elderly revenge against the (alien?) mofu's that killed his team.

There is a lot to like in its fun simplicity/pulp-fiction action scenes. BUT... those actions scenes could have really busted our nuts if they had been combined with with SUSPENSE!

The aliens work fine – there a credible threat... but I feel we're missing from the start of the film – that WHAM sense of dread that is really gonna make us sweat when we follow these cops on their mission. You let us know the world when to whack... but you don't tell us why we should be afraid of the dark... (good to take a cue from Thulsa Doom hehe... "now they will learn why they should fear the dark"

Instead we have the (conventional) cinematography for such scenes without that emotional attachment/investment (see how Black Out did it so god damn effectively?) that quality was absent here and it hurts Kill Shift because of it.

When the girl dies... so what? When the guys mate dies (in a slightly unconvincing encounter where the alien effectively provokes his own death in a rather unnecessary manner...)

There is plenty to like here... and this is what I've seen you do well in your past work as well. When combined with humour the absence of emotional connection and invested storytelling is less apparent, but here... it lays the faults a little bare in your writing.

When you're doing so much very well, be careful that it's not your writing holding you back! A producer/director can still make sure all your unique traits/qualities are featured in your style of work but a writer... they can compensate for the cited criticism.

In all my friend, entertaining fun but it could have have whammed the audience like Black Out did.