PDA

View Full Version : Difference between 2 core and quad core?

Omar N
10-06-2013, 11:15 AM
Hi all,

As the industry moves toward editing footage in higher resolutions, I am considering upgrading my 2010 Macbook Pro 2.66 GHz Core i7 to a new Macbook Pro Retina with the same speed processor, except it will be a quad core, versus mine with has two cores.

My question is, does anyone know if this will really make a big difference? My understanding is that it only makes a difference if the app you are using is designed to take advantage of all four cores. Can anyone confirm?Of course the newer Macbook have the advantage of SSD drives and 1GB of Video RAM vs mine which has 512, so I know those will contribute to speed, but I'm mostly focused right now on the difference between the quad core versus two core.

All help greatly appreciated. Thank you!

Omar

Cassius
10-06-2013, 02:09 PM
The difference is about two cores.

Sorry, that seemed necessary. Multiple threads have to be called within a program. So yes, only specifically written programs will be affected. Everything you need for video editing is heavily multithreaded. Most games are a bit limited in it right now. There aren't really any other high intensity programs worth thinking about. And, as you said, the other upgrades are nice. It's not going to get you a desktop replacement machine and won't have you rendering in real time, but it would help.

Omar N
10-06-2013, 02:13 PM
Thanks Cassius!

TheDingo
10-06-2013, 05:17 PM
SSD drives make a big difference, and likely your MacBook Pro can be upgraded. Other World Computing (http://eshop.macsales.com/shop/SSD/OWC/) has upgrades for almost any Mac made in the last 10 years.

shayanjameel08
11-06-2013, 02:44 AM
I mostly used intel's core 2 duo but Intel's Core 2 Duo and Core 2 Quad processors have been incredibly successful. As the names indicate, the Core 2 Duo includes two cores while the Core 2 Quad contains four cores...

KarlSutton
11-06-2013, 08:00 AM
My two daily computers are i7 Macbook Pros - one duo & one quad. The duo has 8GB RAM the quad 16. The quad is noticeably faster when using FCPX and Compressor.