PDA

View Full Version : From HDD to SSD - Migration

mikcheck
10-01-2013, 10:50 AM
Hello guys.

My laptop ony had one internal drive with 1TB and 5400rpm. So i bought and SSD Samsung 840 to replace it and be my first drive (for OS and software) and the other one is now my 2nd drive for media ( i'll replace it in the future with an 7200rpm drive).

I had some problems during the migration from the HDD to SSD. First time things seemed to be fine but when i was in windows (already with the SSD), an error was always occuring. So i've formatted the SSD, tried again and things went fine these time (still dont know why that error occurred the first time).

The thing i found strange is that my HDD disk had about 50G of data to transfer to the SSD but when the proccess was done, my SSD had about 65G of data(more 15G than the HDD had). Somebody know why that happen? I've read that it can bue due to hibernation, but if hibernation is a windows configuration than shouldn't that space be already in the HDD disk and not only in the SSD?

Thank you. Best regards.

Cassius
10-01-2013, 12:58 PM
Hibernation files, restore point data and paging files all system functions that record to hard drives. They could definitely add up to that on the newer operating systems. Those things would already exist on your HDD, but by copying the files and then generating new data you would could up with twice as much, at least for a while.

mikcheck
10-01-2013, 04:07 PM
Thank you.

So there is no way for a noob like to to know which files are taking up that space? Maybe its better to let it stay as it is?

Cassius
10-04-2013, 08:37 PM
If you're so inclined you can change some of the settings. Click around until you find some. I believe paging files can be found by right clicking 'My Computer' > Properties > Advanced > Performance. I don't remember where the restore point settings are, probably involves right clicking on the hard drive.

mikcheck
10-07-2013, 01:11 PM
Thanks Cassius.