PDA

View Full Version : Should I upgrade or just get a new computer?

randomname
08-29-2013, 05:28 AM
Right now, I own a 27" imac which I do the majority of my editing on and a 2009 macbook pro (2.6 core 2 duo, 4gb ram, 512mb gpu), which can run premiere, but isn't nearly as quick and pleasant as on my imac. I have a job coming up in the near future thats going to require a lot of editing on the road, and I'm trying to decide if it would be a better idea to upgrade the macbook as much as I can (I think that would just mean putting an SSD in it an upgrading the RAM to 8gb) and using that on the road; or selling the macbook and imac, and buying a well equipped retina macbook and possibly getting a cinema display at some point down the road.

I guess my real question is: how much of a difference in performance is there going to be between a fully spec'd out 2009 macbook and a 2012 one with retina? I would most likely get one with 16gb of Ram and a 2.6 ghz i7 processor.

David Jimerson
08-29-2013, 08:17 AM
The processor matters more than the other stuff, and you can't upgrade that.

Andrius Simutis
08-29-2013, 11:59 AM
http://www.everymac.com

They list Geekbench scores and you can use their "Dynamically compare this mac to others" function to quickly get an idea of the differences. It's not everything, but it's a good start.