PDA

View Full Version : The Well

NICK ASH
08-23-2013, 09:49 AM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8JT1NrQC0qM&feature=youtu.be

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6Lh0xUvQRAI&list=PL9nZDprkOWBHqVGBjNciFeoQ 8wIaC2HeI&index=10

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a28240RgTkg&feature=youtu.be

Brandon Rice
08-23-2013, 09:54 AM
Here we go! Congrats and I'm glad you're here!

Stephen Mick
08-23-2013, 10:27 AM
Fan-freaking-tastic! Welcome to the Fest, Nick!

Elton
08-23-2013, 10:55 AM
Welcome and break a leg!

ZazaCast
08-23-2013, 11:02 AM
Nick! So you're losing your DVXFest cherry...sweet (and it's about time).
I'd welcome you, but I know you.:cheesy: So just make sure you use that ZazaSlider to the max!
I'll be watching...

NICK ASH
08-23-2013, 03:54 PM
Thanks everyone....and that slider will have wear marks on it when I am through Zaza!

Charli
08-27-2013, 07:27 AM
Good luck and watch your time management. LOL Before you know it, time slipped away.

Richard J. Johnson
08-28-2013, 11:33 AM
Good luck. Looking forward to checking it out.

NICK ASH
08-30-2013, 07:56 PM
Got the poster up today and casting tomorrow. Things are moving along quite well.

ZazaCast
08-30-2013, 08:05 PM
Nice poster!

NICK ASH
08-30-2013, 08:33 PM
Thanks

Brandon Rice
08-30-2013, 09:15 PM
Wow excellent poster!!

ZazaCast
08-30-2013, 09:20 PM
Did you design it?

NICK ASH
08-31-2013, 10:20 AM
I came up with all the concepts and let another more talented artist draw it up. I am very pleased with the end result. Thanks for the thumbs up...

Stephen Mick
08-31-2013, 10:25 AM
Hellz yeah, Ash! Looking good!

Chris_Keaton
08-31-2013, 11:13 AM
Nice! I just saw a Supernatural episode with an evil wishing well...this already looks better. :)

NICK ASH
08-31-2013, 11:23 AM
thanks so much. Looking forward to filming this!

ZazaCast
09-25-2013, 09:15 AM
Please chime in!
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?311453-HorrorFest-II-Official-Rules-amp-Prize-List/page7

NICK ASH
10-08-2013, 11:58 AM
Alright! Just wrapped filming and the editing is near complete. I am planning on putting the trailer up later tonight. I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks of it. Not only only is this my first DVX film entry but my first horror and first short film!

ZazaCast
10-08-2013, 12:02 PM
Alright! Just wrapped filming and the editing is near complete. I am planning on putting the trailer up later tonight. I look forward to seeing what everyone thinks of it. Not only only is this my first DVX film entry but my first horror and first short film!

:thumbsup: I thought we lost you for a minute there!

NICK ASH
10-08-2013, 12:12 PM
You can't get rid of me that easy...I have been consumed in the production phase that I just haven't made the time to get in here. I am pleased with the results. Looking forward for this in a big way. BTW...I haven't checked your film page before asking this question but did/are you putting production stills up?

checked and answered my question. Stills look great. I love the images your ripped from the DVX. I still have mine and I'm glad to see you rocking the DVX! Looking forward the release of FRESH MEAT!

Brandon Rice
10-08-2013, 01:54 PM
Awesome news Nick! Can't wait to see your trailer!

NICK ASH
10-09-2013, 12:50 AM
Ok, the trailer is up and running! I am about to send the film out for the final phase in post-production....

ZazaCast
10-09-2013, 09:59 AM
Spooky trailer...love it! Can't wait to see the film Nick. :thumbsup:

Matt Harris
10-09-2013, 03:31 PM
cool trailer, nicely done!

NICK ASH
10-10-2013, 11:54 AM
Thanks so much. I will be putting up some photos and some cool notes that occured along the way between tomorrow and this weekend. I share a similar location like Wolf Tree...but I'll save that for later.

Elton
10-10-2013, 12:23 PM
Fantastic! Hope your location went a little easier on you than mine. :)

NICK ASH
10-11-2013, 08:29 AM
I would venture to say that my location and filming experience went a little bit better, however I do have a funny story for everyone later about it.

I will say though....big sighh of relief. We wrapped filming last Sunday night and I dumped all the sound and video filles that night and then Monday I managed to put the entire video together on the timeline in post. Then my goal was to polish it up to where I could send it out for music and sound design. The issue was Tuesday night I began rendering the video as I went to bed so when I woke up the video would be done and I could send it out the very next morning.

However, I woke up to an error message that said not enough memory........"great!" Then last night I rendered the video again and literally 5 seconds left until the end, it did the same thing after waiting for over an hour for the video to render. I was about two seconds from contacting Zaza as I know he uses the same editing software as me and I was about to ask if I could just send him my raw files and have him render it for me.....BUT I figured it out and woke up to the first glimpse of my film from front to back.

It is getting sent out today for music and sound design and I am really excited about seeing/hearing the final product. So, this weekend I will be working on color correction and stuff...part of me wants to have someone better suited to do it...decisions...decisions...I am super excited to be a part of this and to see everyone's films. I am planning on doing a Halloween watch-a-thon at the house where I will hook the computer to the big tv and speakers and have ourselves a HorrorFest!

Brandon Rice
10-11-2013, 08:46 AM
Fun story. I know the feeling when things aren't quite working right. Can't wait to see the final product!

ZazaCast
10-11-2013, 08:57 AM
Technology...can't live with it, can't beat it to death and bury it in a shallow unmarked grave! :zombie_smiley:

I also know the feeling, so don't hesitate to contact me if I can help in anyway. Looking forward to seeing your work Nick (and picking out the ZazaSlider shots!).

NICK ASH
10-11-2013, 03:44 PM
as I write this post, the total number of posts for the "HorrorFest II - Individual Film Threads" forum was 666.........just saying.

Zaza...I am overcome with guilt as the location of my film didn't yield itself to the slider in more ways than one. I will explain later on the filming experience......please forgive me

ZazaCast
10-11-2013, 06:56 PM
Zaza...I am overcome with guilt as the location of my film didn't yield itself to the slider in more ways than one. I will explain later on the filming experience......please forgive me[/COLOR][/SIZE]

What an outrage! That's it.... you're off my Christmas list!!! :shocked:

NICK ASH
10-12-2013, 12:07 AM
Dude, I seriously feel horrible....seriously. I will write about it tomorrow...

NICK ASH
10-14-2013, 09:08 AM
Well, what a weekend. I had the intent of writing about some the my production experiences but rather sat at the computer coloring my film then dealing with rendering issues. I spent two days playing with it and I still need to figure it out. BUT...I will.....

Anyway, I do have an edited non-cc'd version of the film off for music and sound design.I look forward to getting that back and seeing everything come together. I hope everyone is enjoying the holiday

Charli
10-14-2013, 06:58 PM
I posted the "time management" on the wrong thread, sorry. It's looking good! That poster gave me the eebie-jeebies.

NICK ASH
10-15-2013, 12:43 PM
16 days left until Halloween's HorrorFest...which means only 14 days left until the last day to submit your film! The countdown has begun...

AJ Brooks
10-15-2013, 03:29 PM
Cooooool poster!

NICK ASH
10-15-2013, 04:17 PM
Thanks!

Hawk Teflon
10-16-2013, 12:14 PM
Super slick poster, man. For real.

Like ... for real.

Matt Harris
10-16-2013, 12:15 PM
yes great poster!

Marlon Ladd
10-16-2013, 12:37 PM
I agree! That poster's nice! Look forward to your film.

NICK ASH
10-16-2013, 01:35 PM
Thanks everyone!

NICK ASH
10-17-2013, 11:11 AM
ok, so color correction is complete and I finished the final edit. I am in the process of rendering down the film and the sound design and composing are in the works. Pending that I get some time this weekend, I really would like to throw up some random pics from filming...

NICK ASH
10-18-2013, 11:44 PM
So, I did a major re-edit of the film as it was seen to drag...the person helping will be acknowledged in the credits of the film...anyway, I shaved it back considerably by nearly 1.5 minutes or so. Once I did that there was still something missing. So, we're working on on few things to bring out a little production value on the film. It is definitely taking on a life of its own and is cool to see it progress. I got word from my sound designer/composer that I will be hearing a rough mix (just a few minutes) of music and all the sound effects tomorrow (Sunday). By next weekend, we will putting the film in the "completed" phase.

NICK ASH
10-20-2013, 02:06 AM
Just finished with all the visual effects portions of the film and editing....sighhh. Thank God that is over with. Now it is completely in the hands of my sound designer/composer. I get to hear the sounds effects for the first time tomorrow when he sends it over to include a bit of the composing. There is still a lot of work left on his end but all should be complete by the 27th giving me plenty of time for any last minute changes/updates and to upload the film to wherever they want us to upload it to.

Speaking of which, when are we going to find out about the Vimeo, YouTube...ect thing?

NICK ASH
10-25-2013, 04:23 PM
Well there is a lot going on with this fest but I really wanted to say how impressed I am with everyone involved. I have never seen so many positive and supportive people in one place. I guess part of me was expecting this fierce competition that could stir up some drama....but I found nothing but insanely awesome support and motivation.

To those of you who are struggling with your film, know that a lot of us are too whether its with cast, crew or just the stress in general. I know for me this is an excellent test to see what my capabilities are and what I can accomplish within a deadline inside certain parameters.

We have now have stepped into "less than a week left" and the clock is counting down. I wish everyone the best of luck and I truly look forward to coming home and watching all the films! God luck.

Matt Harris
10-25-2013, 04:24 PM
glad i was able to help you out where i could, can't wait to see the final short! congrats.

NICK ASH
10-25-2013, 04:39 PM
I can't thank you enough Matt....honestly. I am supposed to get a large portion of the sound design and music tonight. He did a good size potion of the sound design already and it is pretty good. I was going to send it to you when the music is placed in....pending you want to still check it.

Matt Harris
10-25-2013, 04:45 PM
You know I want to see it, and you're very welcome.

NICK ASH
10-25-2013, 04:58 PM
You know I want to see it, and you're very welcome.

dude, that sounds kinda of provocative....but hell, I'll show ya!

Matt Harris
10-25-2013, 05:10 PM
yeah i want to just go over your final submission and let's carefully analyze it ok?

ZazaCast
10-25-2013, 05:31 PM
Hee...hee... he said Anal-yze it! :cheesy:

Matt Harris
10-25-2013, 05:33 PM
oops, misspell, i meant to write anal eyes!

NICK ASH
10-25-2013, 07:25 PM
OMG! I am dying over here!

NICK ASH
10-28-2013, 10:20 PM
Alright, I am rendering the final mix and preparing for the upload of The Well. Pretty excited to see everyone's films and see how everyone incorporated DVX and stuff. I look forward to making a night out of watching all the films Thursday night so bring it on!

ZazaCast
10-28-2013, 10:46 PM
Sounds like everything on WELL went well....looking forward to it!

NICK ASH
10-29-2013, 12:53 AM
There are some parts that I wish had went differently but given the time and this being my first film, I am happy I completed this. I just finished uploading the film so now I can finally sit back and relax. It's almost 12am and the morning alarm chirps early.

Goodnight Neverland!

Matt Harris
10-30-2013, 01:16 AM
Congrats Greg, you put your blood sweat and tears into this one.

NICK ASH
10-31-2013, 03:05 PM
Thanks Matt. Thank you so much for your assistance, advice, guidance and everything in between. You put the spin on this film that it needed and I couldn't have done it without you and that is a fact. I learned a hell fo lot and for my first flick, I am happy with what we got.

Thanks.

Zak Forsman
10-31-2013, 09:55 PM
did i read right that this is your first short? i'll tell you I really liked that I could feel how much fun you must have had making it, and the short was at it's best when you let it be playful. it makes any technical issues much more forgivable. well done.

NICK ASH
10-31-2013, 11:44 PM
did i read right that this is your first short? i'll tell you I really liked that I could feel how much fun you must have had making it, and the short was at it's best when you let it be playful. it makes any technical issues much more forgivable. well done.

Yeah, this is my very first short or movie of any kind. Thanks for the vote of confidence.

ZazaCast
11-02-2013, 07:18 PM
Great job Nick! I think this came together nicely considering how tough that location must have been to get gear in and out of. Feels like a complete film to me, good story, actors, shots (some a little on the dark side, but those were in a cave!), editing and sound. All involved should be congratulated! Really good first film and an enjoyable watch.
:thumbsup:

Hawk Teflon
11-02-2013, 07:54 PM
SPOILERS! IF YOU HAVEN'T WATCHED THIS SHORT YET, PLEASE DON'T CONTINUE READING.

What I liked: Good concept, good story, good location. "DVX?" "Roman numerals?" I've never even thought of that. Very nice. Your audio sounded pretty clear throughout, too. Well done on that. The ending pulled it together well, too.

What I didn't like as much (take with a grain of salt): Most of this felt a little soft, and it seemed like the motion blur was a little too much on it. Were you controlling your shutter manually? There were parts were it felt like it might have been 1/10. The fog was a little distracting, too. Instead of duplicating and flipping the fog layer only (as seen around 4:32 and on), make sure to shift one of them in time. Even by a second. Without it, it has a strong sense of it being mirrored and really pulls the viewer out of the believability.

NICK ASH
11-02-2013, 11:26 PM
Thanks Zaza and Hawk for the criticism. Yes, the location was probably the most challenging environment that I had to work in. I am pretty much used to working in studio/inside stuff but this really made each shot a longer process to figure out how to film. With motion blur...I agree. It is something I noticed late in the game as silly is this may sound. I don't recall earlier renders looking like this until my last one or two. I thought it may be something I was doing in post because I shot everything 1/50th. I don't know what happened...??? Fog, thanks, next time when playing with effects I will make sure to slow it down and concentrate more on what's going on.

Again, thank you both. Your criticism is invaluable as its the sure way to improve.

NICK ASH
11-03-2013, 01:15 AM
I just wanted to say thanks to everyone for all the great films and I really remain to be impressed about the comrade here. I do have a greater sense of the difficulties of making a film. Each and every little detail seems to be noticed and my next film I feel even more prepared to step it up. Thanks to everyone who gave some criticism as I value every word.

Matthew B
11-05-2013, 03:08 AM
Congrats on your first ever short.

I liked the location and the concept. It did all feel a little soft/motion blurry. The acting and the dialogue did feel a little on the nose and felt like this could have been better with the less is more concept. It also felt as though the characters were just going from point A to B, just to fill in plot points as opposed to generally wanting to do or get something.

I did love the 80's style action catch line "I'm making a wish" as he tossed the dynamite down the well. Classic.

Chris_Keaton
11-09-2013, 09:13 AM
Congrats on finishing a film. The location was cool, but didn't seem like a well, especially when well's have to go underground, so you don't drill them into hills. It had a home camera kinda vibe which isn't good. The DVX thing made me laugh. Well actually I laughed quite a few times. Overall a good time, keep at it.

Best line tie, 'Find something to throw at it!' and 'I'm making a wish.'

JaceDaniel
11-09-2013, 01:10 PM
The three biggest things that bothered:
1. I felt the acting was very weak on the kid’s parts, but I know how hard it is to find some good young actors who havnt been snatched up by expensive agencies… so I can understand. Although when the kid looks at someone behind the camera when he comes into the rescue to say “hey fishstick, eat this”, I did crack a chuckle.
2. The cinematography was wonky. The extreme motion blur made it almost hard to watch. What camera were you using, was this youtube's fault?
3. I felt a little too much of a goonies rip-off vibe from it. Kids in a cave, searching for lost treasure, fight enemies. Idk, might just be a nitpicky thing.
But when I saw it was your first film, I can understand all the problems from above, we all made awkward movies in the beginning (arguably I’m STILL in that stage lol)
So I appreciate your effort to present your project to the world, best of luck on your next film! :)

NICK ASH
11-09-2013, 01:45 PM
Thanks Jace and Chris for watching and the feedback. Pretty much yeah, everything you said is spot on. The blurry crap is beyond me. It wasn't like that in post but I obviously did something messed up. I shoot with the Mark II and filmed at 50fps.

As far as Goonies and cheesy lines, hell yeah...that was totally taken from that film and we put as much effort in to 80's cheese as possible. If you watch our outtakes, I loose my bearing when they are blowing up the well because the line was all cheese.

We used some imagination and left the rest of the imagination to audience...so yeah maybe a well wouldn't go there but after getting a quote of nearly 1k for a fake well, I saw this location and went for it.

My goal was to start and finish a project and we accomplished that goal. I took a lot of lessons from that and I am excited to get back in the saddle again and crank out another project.

Again thanks for watching/feedback.

Chris_Keaton
11-09-2013, 06:07 PM
You succeeded in getting a film in and I assume you had a good time doing it. That's more than most. :thumbsup:

Matt Harris
11-09-2013, 09:30 PM
Greg it was great to meet you and help out however I could with your film! I don't think i told you but, my fav part of your film is the last few minutes, when you cut forward in time and we see the kid all growed up. The actor looks cool, the lighting in the house looks cool, and your cinematography was great in those last few minutes.
I think a lesson learned or something to take into consideration is that you made this short hard on yourself. You shot in an awesome location as tourists were everywhere, you stole the location, which is so cool, but so hard! and you also used high school kids, going for the goonies vibe obviously.

on your next movie, try using simpler locations and use some older more seasoned adult actors. you'l find it'll make things a lot easier!

that being said, i really liked the plot of your movie. it had a strong finish!

NICK ASH
11-10-2013, 01:24 PM
Greg it was great to meet you and help out however I could with your film! I don't think i told you but, my fav part of your film is the last few minutes, when you cut forward in time and we see the kid all growed up. The actor looks cool, the lighting in the house looks cool, and your cinematography was great in those last few minutes.
I think a lesson learned or something to take into consideration is that you made this short hard on yourself. You shot in an awesome location as tourists were everywhere, you stole the location, which is so cool, but so hard! and you also used high school kids, going for the goonies vibe obviously.

on your next movie, try using simpler locations and use some older more seasoned adult actors. you'l find it'll make things a lot easier!

that being said, i really liked the plot of your movie. it had a strong finish!

Thanks Matt, that means a lot. I will agree. I spent more time then I can count merely waiting for dirt bikes, buggies...off road vehicles or tourists to pass by and go out of ear range so we could continue filming. On top of that I spent the remainder of the time couching the kids on how to act........so yeah, Matt you hit it right on the head.

Next film, K.I.S.S. is in effect!

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-11-2013, 11:35 PM
Nice title graphic and sound.

Nice sound design once they’re first in the well.

Cool low mist - in camera? post? Both? A few shots late in the film I could tell it was post but it looks great.

Like the shots of the kids standing under the well with the ripe somehow warm lights on the walls and rope and cool light on the actors - looked good and added depth.

Nice sound design and flares once the girl goes down the well.

A lot of it looks soft and there’s some weird shutter, or motion blur, or frame blending thing going on. Maybe frame blending? When I went back and frame by framed to see the red corpse again there was a frame where the red corpse is overlaid over the screaming girl before we cut to her? Also some of the mist doesn't seemed to be affected by this problem - my first clue that some of it was post.

Cool red corpse though.

Nice embers when we see the creature. Some of the mist doesn’t look great though.

“Hey fishstick. Eat this.”
Classic.
Or maybe its sounded like he said “fish dick”. Either way. Fun line.

“I’m making a wish”. Fun.

The flash forward at the end felt very Stephen King (in a good way). He has several stories where childhood sins or a brush with the supernatural comes back to bite the adult versions of the characters or they have to band together and deal with it.

I liked the slime the first time it showed up. I like it even more when he finds it on the windowsill. Great and very simple device to tie the past and present together.

I started making shorts at DVXuser too.
Especially for your first one, I'd say you did... WELL. :happy:

Matt Harris
11-11-2013, 11:58 PM
I helped Greg with some of the post on this short, and there was no weird frame blending or strobing (or whatever people are seeing) as we worked on it.
I think maybe Greg exported it wonky or maybe the upload to youtube got screwy? Greg, any ideas? Jack thanks for the review, Greg did a good job on his first short for sure.

Jack Daniel Stanley
11-12-2013, 12:21 AM
Cool Matt. And good looking out hooking a first time DVXfest filmmaker up.
Yeah let's figure that frame thing out.
I think you can swap a video out once it's loaded on Youtube right?
Know you can on Vimeo.

And Nick, lines like "Hey fish stick, eat this" and "I'm making a wish." Are maybe half the reason I want to make movies in the first place .:thumbsup:

NICK ASH
11-13-2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks Jack...a lot. We knew going into this that we were going to have an element of cheese, so being children of the 80's we went with it.....the lines came with us. "Hey Fish Dick, Making a Wish" and other innuendos gave us the laugh. I am glad you enjoyed.

As far as the whole image/blending...thing... it is beyond me. I didn't notice it until after it was uploaded. Granted, towards the end I was in a hurry to get it uploaded and submitted...so it was either a render thing or a YouTube thing.

Yes, Matthew came in and saved the day for me. He gave the film a real flare which was desperately needed. There is nothing better than when you start something and people help out in ways that goes beyond ones expectations. It doesn't happen everyday and I am very grateful.