PDA

View Full Version : It is very quiet in here....

Brandon Rice
08-22-2013, 10:45 AM
I hope that means folks are out shooting films :)

Otherwise... sad... :undecided

Michael Anthony Horrigan
08-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Otherwise... sad... :undecidedNot surprising, really.

The last bunch of festivals here have had an extremely low turnout in comparison to the old days of 60-70 finished entries.

I know, quality of quantity, but still. ;)

But you never know, if any Fest can pull it off, Horrorfest II should bring some people out of the weeds.
Here's hoping.

Brandon Rice
08-22-2013, 01:28 PM
Was hoping to see an entry from you MAH!

Michael Anthony Horrigan
08-22-2013, 01:42 PM
Was hoping to see an entry from you MAH!
I could write one for somebody. :smile:

I don't even own a camera at the moment. Saving up for a new one.

Brandon Rice
08-22-2013, 01:47 PM
Ah bummer, find someone with a camera :thumbsup:

I understand though, I was unable to participate for a long time... things just fell nicely into place this time around, and I got a kick in the pants from a friend.

Brandon Rice
08-23-2013, 07:46 AM
I sure hope we see a bump. I LOVE the fests, and would love to see some more participation!

snowleopard
08-27-2013, 09:42 AM
Me thinks DVXUser needs to reach out a little more perhaps. Maybe there are too many former members (or would be new members) spending time elsewhere (like, the vacuum of Facebook, for example?). A shame really, because these contests have always produced some quality results, and good prizes. Like you, I hope I'm wrong and people are out writing and shooting.

Maybe there's another way, a new path, that DVXUser can use to get the word out a bit better? There's plenty of time left.

Elton
08-27-2013, 11:50 AM
It seems like some banner ads on other areas of the forum might help. We really could use some new blood, that's for sure. :)

ZazaCast
08-27-2013, 12:02 PM
We really could use some new blood, that's for sure. :)
Just what are you trying to say Elton? New blood, old blood...it all runs just as red!

Jason Ramsey
08-27-2013, 12:24 PM
It's ok. This fest is a hold-me-over to get back into the groove a bit after a long hiatus. We're moving to an annual format after this with a live screening.

And, hey... look on the bright side. more kick ass prizes to go around amongst fewer people this time around. Wasn't planning on this being a huge fest anyway. It's been a while, and the whole 3x/yr thing got kind of burnt out.

I'll be posting some more prizes soon as well. Just a bit behind. You guys can always help by promoting the fest within your own channels to try to help make folks aware that we are doing one again :)

Stay tuned for may/june around in there... Some horrorfest entries will get automatic screening at our next live fest during that time, as well.

Richard J. Johnson
08-28-2013, 03:09 PM
I have been out of the loop for quite some time. Have the fests been not good? Hell, when I left/fell off there were still tons of entries.

ZazaCast
08-28-2013, 06:12 PM
SHHHhhhhhhh.....

drapeama
08-28-2013, 07:08 PM

Otherwise... sad... :undecided
I'd like to say it's because of that in my case, but I'm afraid I'm not in the same league as the actual participants!

Stephen Mick
08-28-2013, 07:15 PM
I'd like to say it's because of that in my case, but I'm afraid I'm not in the same league as the actual participants!

"League" has nothing to do with it, my friend. Looking at your work on Vimeo, I'd say you're more than capable of cooking up some scares. :D

Seriously, though… Filmmaking is like anything else. The more you do it, the better you get at it. (We've seen this happen over the course of DVXUser history.) This, more than any other reason, is why more people should enter the Fests. Forget the prizes. Forget the criticisms, good and bad. The best reason to enter is that making films is what makes you a better filmmaker.

drapeama
08-28-2013, 07:28 PM
"League" has nothing to do with it, my friend. Looking at your work on Vimeo, I'd say you're more than capable of cooking up some scares. :D
[..]
The best reason to enter is that making films is what makes you a better filmmaker.

1) You know, I don't trust myself enough to make one in competition along with others. I'm working on a concept with someone I met recently, but I don't know if we'll have enough time to actually make it happen before the end of October!
2) Thanks for the comments. I try to make better from one to the other. I would need more people, dedicated to a specific job (audio & lighting mostly). Then it would make my life much easier, but I'm a one-man-crew on most of the work I'm doing...!
3) You're right. The more you make, being good shots or mistakes, the more you learn from it. But I'm playing safe most of the time. Learning and reading about some stuff. I practice a lot before I actually start to shoot "for real". I wouldn't say I'm afraid not to be good enough (in fact, everyone is kind of somehow) but I want to be sure to make it as best as I can, and as right as it can be done also.

That being said, there's still 2 months to go...I should kick in and start writing something down, then start shooting something. Being good or bad, at least I will have tried something. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

Brandon Rice
08-28-2013, 07:31 PM
I echo all of what Stephen said!! Jump in!!

Stephen Mick
08-28-2013, 07:36 PM
I totally understand where you're coming from, Marc-Alexandre. And hopefully things will fall in place so that you can scare us with some HorrorFest goodness. :D

1) You know, I don't trust myself enough to make one in competition along with others. I'm working on a concept with someone I met recently, but I don't know if we'll have enough time to actually make it happen before the end of October!
2) Thanks for the comments. I try to make better from one to the other. I would need more people, dedicated to a specific job (audio & lighting mostly). Then it would make my life much easier, but I'm a one-man-crew on most of the work I'm doing...!
3) You're right. The more you make, being good shots or mistakes, the more you learn from it. But I'm playing safe most of the time. Learning and reading about some stuff. I practice a lot before I actually start to shoot "for real". I wouldn't say I'm afraid not to be good enough (in fact, everyone is kind of somehow) but I want to be sure to make it as best as I can, and as right as it can be done also.

That being said, there's still 2 months to go...I should kick in and start writing something down, then start shooting something. Being good or bad, at least I will have tried something. Thanks for the words of encouragement!

drapeama
08-28-2013, 07:48 PM
I echo all of what Stephen said!! Jump in!!
All right! I'll try to push for a script by the end of the week...in order to actually start shooting something!
Currently awaiting for some locations authorizations.

I totally understand where you're coming from, Marc-Alexandre. And hopefully things will fall in place so that you can scare us with some HorrorFest goodness. :D

Time to kick my a** up I bet! Worst case is that I'll make a Uwe Bowl of myself by producing something very crappy. Part of the process!

ZazaCast
08-29-2013, 05:37 PM
Stephen couldn't have put it any better! You can do this, no problem....really...have you SEEN any of my films? :huh:
Have fun, make something special, come on in, the water's fine!

:beer:

drapeama
08-29-2013, 07:32 PM
Stephen couldn't have put it any better! You can do this, no problem....really...have you SEEN any of my films? :huh:
Have fun, make something special, come on in, the water's fine!

1) Thanks for the encouragement. I'm currently trying to put ideas on paper, in order to know where I'm going..
2) No, where should I start to check?
3) I'll do!

Stephen Mick
08-29-2013, 08:18 PM
https://vimeo.com/73431213

ZazaCast
08-29-2013, 09:02 PM
2) No, where should I start to check?

Click in my signature below....or www.zazacast.com (http://www.zazacast.com) :)

ZazaCast
08-29-2013, 09:13 PM

Love it!

Stephen Mick
08-29-2013, 09:14 PM
Then share it, if you can! Trying to spread the word about the Fest to all corners of the globe!

Love it!

drapeama
08-29-2013, 10:59 PM
Wow! I've seen the screenshots on the Facebook page. Impressive. The more I see, the less I'm convinced I could even compete with you guys! ;)

Click in my signature below....or www.zazacast.com (http://www.zazacast.com) :)
I'll have a look at home (can't access from the job..).

Jason Ramsey
08-29-2013, 11:04 PM
Don't think like that drapeama. You can do it. We're all family, and it's all about supporting each other.

drapeama
08-29-2013, 11:49 PM
Don't think like that drapeama. You can do it. We're all family, and it's all about supporting each other.

What comes to my mind is more about the lack of experience I have comparing to some other members, the lack of crew that I will have to shoot my project... not talking about non-professional actors/actress that I can rely on...I'm a bit limited.

About my entry-level equipment, I'm a bit more confident I could compete, as I know how to use it, and how to push it to their limit.
But, in the end, it's more about learning than competing with other participants. All I need, as Alfred Hitchcock said, is three things: A Script, A Script and A Script.

Chris_Keaton
08-30-2013, 07:44 AM

lol, awesome!

Elton
08-30-2013, 12:00 PM
game over, man!

Stephen Mick
08-30-2013, 12:03 PM
Glad you guys like my 70s-style horror sauce!

drapeama
08-30-2013, 12:07 PM
I really like that style.

Stephen Mick
08-30-2013, 12:10 PM
I really like that style.

Yeah, that was a fun one to put together. It literally started on Tuesday of last week, when I popped into Texas Media Systems. They had a Pocket Camera sitting there, and Terry (the owner) asked if I wanted to take it out this weekend and shoot with it. One thing led to another, and we were shooting in a cemetery in Smithvile, Texas on Sunday. :D

drapeama
08-30-2013, 12:12 PM
They had a Pocket Camera sitting there, and Terry (the owner) asked if I wanted to take it out this weekend and shoot with it. One thing led to another, and we were shooting in a cemetery in Smithvile, Texas on Sunday. :D
Kind of stuff that usually never happens around here! :P
It was nice from you to share it though!

ZazaCast
08-30-2013, 01:04 PM

hummm... happened AFTER I announced I'd be going for that style in my thread... that sauce IS hot! :shocked:
(might have to change plans)
:)

Stephen Mick
08-30-2013, 01:06 PM
hummm... happened AFTER I announced I'd be going for that style in my thread... that sauce IS hot! :shocked:
(might have to change plans)
:)

Hey, you do what you had planned to do. This was just a little "thing" we did to try to stir up some interest in HorrorFest around the web. :D

ZazaCast
08-30-2013, 06:30 PM
just funnin' ya....FYI, that footy (the download clips) looks great. What a nice little camera!

Stephen Mick
08-30-2013, 06:36 PM
Yeah, if you check out the BMC forums, there are some issues BM needs to sort out. But for the money, the images you can get are really nice.

just funnin' ya....FYI, that footy (the download clips) looks great. What a nice little camera!

alex whitmer
08-30-2013, 06:48 PM
I bet things will pick up when a Whitmer script gets snagged. Dancing chainsaws, keys in odd places, blood lotions, open-heart surgery, nekid people.

ZazaCast
08-30-2013, 07:52 PM
Oh no... 13 entries....13!

drapeama
08-31-2013, 08:56 AM
Oh no... 13 entries....13!

And yesterday was Friday... Does it also happen that you have a black cat at home? ;)

Movie_Dude_3
08-31-2013, 07:07 PM
And yesterday was Friday... Does it also happen that you have a black cat at home? ;)

Posting this from under a ladder. Does that count against us?

drapeama
08-31-2013, 07:09 PM
Posting this from under a ladder.
I knew I was missing something!

ZazaCast
09-06-2013, 03:20 PM
So.... anyone want to bet AJ pops in last minute with an entry? :beer:

Brandon Rice
09-09-2013, 11:09 AM
That would be awesome!

Gord.T
09-10-2013, 06:30 PM
I miss Larry.R around these fests. How's he doing Brandon? (Asking in public because I know other people are interested also.)

Elton
09-11-2013, 10:19 AM
So.... anyone want to bet AJ pops in last minute with an entry? :beer:

Nobody's taking that bet for a reason. Sure as the rain in Portland...

Brandon Rice
09-11-2013, 10:25 AM
I miss Larry.R around these fests. How's he doing Brandon? (Asking in public because I know other people are interested also.)

Larry is doing great! He is very busy all the time, but doing well. He kicked ass on our set, and has many credits to show for it :)

Brandon Rice
09-18-2013, 11:01 AM
Seems like things are heating up here!

ZazaCast
09-22-2013, 01:32 PM
Lets all look back...to the original HorrorFest in 2006... there were 67 entries!
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?74881-The-Official-Winners!&p=733220&viewfull=1#post733220

I'm still waiting for JR Hudson to finish his film..... :huh:

Matt Harris
09-22-2013, 06:42 PM
nice job mr. mick!

Elton
09-23-2013, 12:44 AM
Lets all look back...to the original HorrorFest in 2006... there were 67 entries!
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?74881-The-Official-Winners!&p=733220&viewfull=1#post733220

I'm still waiting for JR Hudson to finish his film..... :huh:

Memowees.