PDA

View Full Version : Heroes for Ghosts

Eric Boellner
08-16-2013, 09:42 AM

TITLE: "Heroes for Ghosts"
Written & Directed by Eric Boellner

LOGLINE: A successful horror writer is haunted by his sins after he degrades a wannabe-writer fan who is just looking for a leg up.

Looking forward to competing this fest, and watching all the other entries I'm sure will be great!

-EMB

UPDATES.

August 15. Finished a very detailed outline of the plot. Trick was finding a way to write the classic "one actor, one location" script without it seeming contrived. Started by figuring out what scares me when I'm alone in the house at night, and building an idea for a story around those fears.

August 16. Still felt the story was missing a hook. Figured it out, and wrote the first draft: 8 pages. Definitely felt the constraints of the 10-minute maximum limit, though. The 8 pages are actually highly condensed, and I'll probably have to find ways to shave every second off the finished film to fall in under the max length. I might shoot a longer version for release after the DVXfest, assuming that's acceptable. The biggest challenge on this film is definitely going to be sound design, with a lot of the horror elements being created through audio.

August 22. Set the script down for a while (will probably revist sometime this coming week), so I could work on a feature I'm writing. Been busy, between that and the bills, but managed to squeeze time to do some screen tests and get a poster shot today. Now, let's just see if I can get it to upload in the proper size... Concept shots/screen grabs below.

September 30. Came back to this project, reread and fixed the script with a quick polish, tying off the loose, unmotivated ending. Back on track, with 29 days to produce this thing!

Elton
08-16-2013, 10:13 AM
Very cool! Welcome to the party! ;-)

Stephen Mick
08-16-2013, 10:16 AM
Love the Floyd reference in the title. :)

zoob
08-16-2013, 10:25 AM
Ghosts for heros may be a better title.

Eric Boellner
08-16-2013, 10:28 AM
Love the Floyd reference in the title. :)

Thanks! That was one of the first songs I ever learned to play on the guitar, and I felt the words played well with the story I'm writing.

Brandon Rice
08-16-2013, 10:35 AM
Wow awesome! Welcome to the fest! :thumbsup:

Chris_Keaton
08-16-2013, 11:32 AM
Cool! I look forward to checking this out.

ZazaCast
08-16-2013, 12:10 PM
Nice... glad you decided to enter it! Looking forward to seeing what you've come up with.

Richard J. Johnson
08-18-2013, 06:41 AM
Looking forward to it!

Eric Boellner
08-22-2013, 06:32 PM
Updated the OP with poster and some concept shots I did today. The ISO's a little high, so there's a bit too much noise, but I had it stopped at 8.0, so I can bring that up a notch and get the ISO down for a cleaner image when I go to shoot the actual short film.

Reworking the script next week.

-EMB

P.S. I hope posting screen grabs doesn't conflict with the "only 30 seconds of footage shown before the fest" rule. If so, someone let me know and I'll take them down. :)

Charli
08-27-2013, 07:28 AM
Ghost story, cool. Good luck!

ZazaCast
09-25-2013, 09:17 AM
Please chime in!
http://www.dvxuser.com/V6/showthread.php?311453-HorrorFest-II-Official-Rules-amp-Prize-List/page7

Eric Boellner
09-30-2013, 03:41 PM
So, I wasn't happy with the script I'd written - it wasn't the cliches and horror tropes that bothered me, just that none of it was motivated. I knew the reason for the events of the story, but I hadn't conveyed them and couldn't think of a way to bring it around in the end. So, I didn't figure I was going to make it.

But today, I decided to read the script again for the first time in what, a month and a half? Anyways, had a thought, did a quick polish, fixed the problems. It's still bad, like most of my writing, but I like it and I'm excited to try and make it into a short film for this fest.

I have a feeling Murphy's Law will hang heavy over the production, though, so the perfectionist in me is nervous about even trying. But I don't mind if it's bad. That's what shorts are for.

Eric Boellner
09-30-2013, 03:45 PM
Also, I just realized the changes I made to the ending make the title SO much more effective.

Brandon Rice
09-30-2013, 04:19 PM
Go for it! Get it done!