PDA

View Full Version : Linked Comp Renders are SO SLOW!

yabyum
08-01-2013, 03:32 PM
Is there any way to speed these up? Doing linked comp renders between Premiere and After Effects and it's very very slow. Looks to be using about only 20% in Performance monitor, which leads to believe it's just a single threaded render.... AH!

Using CC suite as well. I love linked compositions between AE and PP but the slow render times cancel out the convenience it gives.

danjenkins
08-01-2013, 04:46 PM
Do the comps playback faster in AE than they do in the linked timeline in PP?

yabyum
08-01-2013, 04:49 PM
Well when I do RAM render in AE or render in PP with Enter, they seem to render about the same speed (which is actually faster than the full on render is).

Now I'm trying out rendering it all in Premiere first, then checking "Use Previews" when rendering... it seems to be faster now (though still doesn't seem the proper speed).

EDIT: Actually something changed. AE RAM renders are incredibly much faster than Premiere. So I'm gonna do that first, then try Premiere render with previews.

danjenkins
08-01-2013, 09:25 PM
If it continues to be annoyingly slow (which a dynamic linked comp with any heavy effects in it will pretty much always be, sadly) it is usually better to use a proxy workflow until the effects and cut are done, then render full resolution. Basically instead of doing a RAM preview just render out a fairly low res (hence faster to render) proxy and import that into PP. I know dynamic linking is sexy, but it is only so useful.

Gord.T
08-01-2013, 11:19 PM
You can upload to a commercial render farm.

yabyum
08-02-2013, 01:17 AM
If it continues to be annoyingly slow (which a dynamic linked comp with any heavy effects in it will pretty much always be, sadly) it is usually better to use a proxy workflow until the effects and cut are done, then render full resolution. Basically instead of doing a RAM preview just render out a fairly low res (hence faster to render) proxy and import that into PP. I know dynamic linking is sexy, but it is only so useful.

Yeah, it's a shame. If it rendered fast it'd be so nice. Will have to figure out a new workflow, will look into proxies thanks.

You can upload to a commercial render farm.

This is the first I've heard of this actually, pretty cool option. Though out of my scope for now.

danjenkins
08-02-2013, 09:29 AM
Commercial render farms are great for final renders, but unless you are working on a very well funded project I can't see them being useful in a similar way to dynamic linking. The desire to use dynamic linking is to speed up the editorial process and get some instant feedback in the cut when you update a visual effects shot. So rather than spend precious cash on outsourcing your test renders try and optimize your AE comps as much as possible (choose the least CPU intensive effects possible, down-res large images when possible) and then do sit-ups and push-ups while waiting for your proxies to render.