PDA

View Full Version : Help - Location Prob

Dyrseve989
08-03-2005, 11:04 AM
Ok, I'm filming a promo video for a non-profit web site. They are promoting a certain style, marine training paintball gun. These guns are exact replicas of the real models, they are promoting intense paintbal games with these model guns. I have a perfect location for the terrorist, anti-terrorist style scenario, but with one problem....of course.

The location is an old run down truck graveyard and truck garage. The bank foreclosed it and it has been vacant for about ten years or more. It is on a small vacant road that is barely visible from te main road.

My problem is: Should I get a filming permit from the town, a police permission for the toy guns, and permission from the owner of the property, which is most likely the bank. Or should I go and film it and risk getting caught. This is a very simple production, total skeleton crew, majority of shots are handheld(for effect), and there will be either no lighting or battery powered, portable lighting

Any feedback can help......and if I do happen to go through all the red tape, what is the likely hood I will get the permits and permission for free since it is a non-profit promo, and there is no budget

also......THIS LOCATION IS VERY IMPORTANT - give feedback with te consideration that this is a location worth fighting for.

thanks,

-matt-

GenJerDan
08-03-2005, 12:29 PM
Get permission from all three.

You're going to have people looking like terrorists running around with realistic-looking guns? These days? And you ask if you should ask anyone beforehand? :)

Dan

Scottdvx100
08-03-2005, 12:55 PM
I'm still trying to figure out why a non-profit is promoting paint guns.

Dyrseve989
08-03-2005, 01:05 PM
there not promoting the sales of these guns, there promoting the gaming, its a group that want to start an extreme paintball group where they set up free scenario games using these marine training guns that are to be bought at the perons expense. Its basically just to atract people with this style marine training gun to meet up and play scenario games.

let me explain more about what will be seen. There are very few exterior shots, the majority of shots are designed for the interior but there are maybe 5 shots that are exterior shots. I understand how in this day and age this will be a big deal, but I figure if I can get all the interior shots where no one can see us, and maybe run the quick exterior shots, I can pull it off with police and citizens being none the wiser

khmuse
08-03-2005, 02:03 PM
I second what GenJerDan said, get everyone's permission (in writing) and get the necessary permits. You might want to consider a production liability insurance policy as well. Many cities require them in order to obtain the permits and to hire police and fire personnel. If your non-profit has a broad coverage policy, they might be able to generate the riders. The possibility of litigation is too high and the resultant problems are too costly to take the chance.

David G. Smith
08-03-2005, 02:48 PM
Access and use of another's property without their consent is called TRESPASSING, and is a crime in all fifty states, throw in realistic prop guns and individuals dressed as terrorists and you got all the makings of another thread. I suggest the title of, "Police with no sense of humor shut down my production".

Dyrseve989
08-03-2005, 04:09 PM
understood.... I don't believe I will get the permits I need since the property is most likely owned by a bank and the town is preety strict, so I'm sure this location is shot(no pun intended). Plus I have zero cash for this production, it runs on my equipment and film school mentality of however and whatever will get the film done for free

thanks for the input

-Matt-

FilmMakerr
08-03-2005, 05:02 PM
How much are film permits anyway?, do you have to get a permit even if you get the 'ok' from the owner of the place?

khmuse
08-03-2005, 05:06 PM
Different cities have different fees, ranging from free, to $500 or more per day (especially when shooting in very film aware cities in California). It is the accompanying insurance that can be the biggest cost, especially on very short shoots as the policy premium minimums usually apply.

FilmMakerr
08-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Different cities have different fees, ranging from free, to $500 or more per day (especially when shooting in very film aware cities in California). It is the accompanying insurance that can be the biggest cost, especially on very short shoots as the policy premium minimums usually apply.

What if the owner of the property allows you to film, do you still need an film permit?

Dyrseve989
08-03-2005, 06:42 PM
Since I can pull some bullshit about me being a student, Im not worried about getting the town filming permit for free, what I am worried about is the owner permission and the cost of insurance, which will be a definent since we are dealing with gun replicas, and are shooting in an old truck graveyard/garage

mrblue1022
08-04-2005, 12:01 PM
Generally speaking, if the location is private property (which it sounds like it is) you need to get permission from the person you owns the propert. You can find out who owns the property by contacting your county auditor. Since this is being done for a non-profit, chances are that property owner will let you use the property, as long as there are no risks of injury by allowing you on the property.

After you get permission, you should contact the local police department and inform them of what you are doing, including dates and times you will be shooting.

The only other thing you need to worry about are laws that govern film and video production in your area. Check the state, county, and city laws to make sure your project is compliant. Your local library should have resources that you can use for free.

Rob

Dyrseve989
08-04-2005, 02:41 PM
thanks rob, it turns out the property is being torn down and rebuilt in 2 weeks, I fouind out the owner was the gas station owner next door. He said it wouldnt be a problem, but after next week I can't be on the premises. Not a possibility, another incredible location down the drain, thanks for all your help guys

-Matt-

khmuse
08-04-2005, 02:57 PM
Even with the property owner's permission, you can still require a permit as it may have an impact on the city. If your production is interiors only, you have no detectable production vehicles and you don't get caught, then I guess you can say that you don't need a permit.

It really depends upon the city that you intend to shoot in. In LA I have seen very small productions get shut down and all that was apparent from the street was a few people moving some grip equipment from a drive way into a back yard. You might as well check with the permits department for the cities that you are considering shooting in. It can't hurt you to at least have the information that way if you choose to shoot under the radar, at least it is an informed decision.

David G. Smith
08-04-2005, 06:11 PM
Since I can pull some bullshit about me being a student, Im not worried about getting the town filming permit for free, what I am worried about is the owner permission and the cost of insurance, which will be a definent since we are dealing with gun replicas, and are shooting in an old truck graveyard/garage

One thing about insurance is that they my not cover claims for injuries or damage that you get on "pirated" locations or on productions that do not follow local laws, such as permits for film productions. Insurance companies are funny that way. Definitely check with your insurance provider.

JuX
08-06-2005, 02:46 PM
My guess is that the owners permission plus at least notifying the police (because you are using guns) would be all you need.

In some areas permits are really expensive and yes you would need to get insurance along with it. But if you are trying to avod it then I assume the above would be enough for a quick and dirty (yet safe) production.