PDA

View Full Version : Editing setup for DSLR feature post production.... HELP!!!

therussian
06-05-2013, 01:04 PM
I'm still getting prepared for my august no-budget DSLR feature shoot with the Nikon D7000....

PLEASE HELP ME WITH EDITING SETUP!!!

I'd like to edit from my 2013 Macbook Pro 13", 500Gb hdd, 16GB ram, Intel HD graphics 4000 512mb ram, 1 thunderbolt, 1 firewire, 2 usb 3

I'd like to edit on Premiere Pro.

Please advise me on the editing setup.... what type of external HDDs should I invest in, and how should I configure them?

What I thought...
...I would buy 2 WD Mypassport 1TByte USB3 2.5" external hard drives. I would use them at location to save the footage on one, and backup on another.
....I would buy a G-Drive 2 or 3Tbyte with USB 3. I would copy all the raw footage on it, and I would edit from it.
....I would hook up an external monitor for better editing experience. :)
....the MBP would be, and is, backed up via Time Machine on a daily basis to an external drive.

This is what I thought... But please tell me what you think! Should I add more drives for editing (for rendering etc?)... or bigger ones?

I was thinking of buying a G-RAID, but that's expensive... plus I would feel insecure to use a Raid 0 drive for my main editing...

I have two WD 500Gbyte 3.5" bare drives I could use for something (with an external enclosure, or dock).

therussian
06-05-2013, 01:17 PM
+ Could someone tell me if...
...I work with a G-Raid 4 TB drive.... and somehow I could set it up as a Raid 1, so in mirroring mode..... will I have exactly the same bites on both drives at any moment? Or it will take some time to sync the mirror drive to the original? How it works? I don't find any info on this...

Cassius
06-05-2013, 06:03 PM
If you have backups Raid 0 shouldn't be a problem, and if you want to edit from it an external array would work better than anything else. With good drives it isn't really risky at all. As far as what to buy... buy what you need. We don't know how you work, how much footage you need, your budget or, really, anything else. Pick whatever is most cost effective and gets you the storage you need. Get something fast and big enough for you and within your budget. What you get really doesn't matter. DSLR footage doesn't tend to be all that difficult to work with.

As for your second question, I'm ignoring the product. Raid 1 theoretically writes simultaneously, but in the middle of a processing cycle there will be times when the drives are off by a few bytes (with a 'y'). But as soon as the write cycles are done that will be gone. There is no difference practically speaking. The only way you would even be able to tell is if you had a failure at the exact moment that data began to write on one drive while the other one was still moving its magnet, and if that happens I want you to immediately come back here to tell me about it.

therussian
06-06-2013, 12:57 AM
Thanks!

According to my Aja calculator app, 1 hour of AVCHD 1080/24p footage is 11.8 gbyte of hard drive space. So I'm sure these drives are enough for the raw footage, but I think I have to convert it to Prores for better editing, right? Thanks.

I'm looking at the prices of G-Raids with USB 3... Will I see a huge difference in speed with my editing setup and D7000 DSLR footage with a single drive USB 3 or a G-Raid in Raid 0 and USB 3?

G-Raid Thunderbolt seems good, but... USB 3 is more compatible and I don't think I would need the Thunderbolt speed...

therussian
06-10-2013, 08:53 AM
Hi,

Should I convert my D7000 dslr footage to prores for editing in Premiere cs6? I know it handles it natively, but for color correction and stuff would it be better to convert it, or there's no point?

mcgeedigital
06-10-2013, 09:00 AM
If you are shooting DSLR, anything over ProResLT is just a waste of hard drive space.

Definitely look into this to help your workflow:

http://www.redgiant.com/products/all/bulletproof/

therussian
06-10-2013, 10:00 AM
Thanks! I'm checking it out!

By the way, any advice on DSLR workflow is appreciated! Maybe I open a new thread for that...

mcgeedigital
06-10-2013, 10:15 AM
Great book on shooting video on the DSLR:

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0321702115

Bonus is if we ever meet I will sign it for you. :)

therussian
06-10-2013, 11:56 PM
Great book on shooting video on the DSLR:

http://www.amazon.com/books/dp/0321702115

Bonus is if we ever meet I will sign it for you. :)

Hey! Thanks for the recommendation! But because of the timeframe I don't have that much time for reading one more book.... I already have several other piled up... For this dslr subject I picked up the DSLR Cinema book....

But if you would be so kind and give me your thoughts on my questions, I would appreciate it... thanks!

therussian
06-11-2013, 12:25 AM
QUESTION:
I'm reading about monitor options for color grading... Could you advise me some affordable (I know...) ?

What color space should I use? I set my DSlR camera to Adobe RGB for shooting. So I should use that profile throughout the post production? Could you enlighten me on this subject? What about all these profiles for blu-ray end product, or cinema etc... What color space should I stick to? Thanks!

What about Dell U2410 monitor for grading?

therussian
06-11-2013, 12:45 AM
I see that there are some converters for monitoring from Aja and BMD. What's there use?

therussian
06-12-2013, 12:28 AM
Anyone?