PDA

View Full Version : How do I import a whole movie into Adobe Audition?

ironpony
05-06-2013, 12:48 AM
I can't find an online tutorial that goes over it, I would like to import the whole movie and work on the tracks individually as I see them. Or at least all the dialogue tracks, work on them, and then send them back to Premiere Pro, and have them all in the same place everything, but changed from Audition. Is this possible?

Cause having to import every little section of the dialogue only into audition, than cutting it all back individually into Premiere, is much more time consuming.

paulears
05-06-2013, 01:15 AM
Can I just check - you are editing in Premiere? and you want to export the entire audio timeline with all the tracks in place into audition - or are you trying to decode something that is already encoded into 5.1 or similar?

Alex H.
05-06-2013, 08:11 AM
Have you even tried the Adobe support site? Or reading the manuals for Premiere and Audition?

Premiere>Audition
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/premierepro/cs/using/WS367138A8-E5E3-49f3-8719-0EFDC91D329C.html

Audition>Premiere
http://help.adobe.com/en_US/audition/cs/using/WS58a04a822e3e5010548241038980c2c5-7e43.html

But I have to ask, why are you doing this on bits and pieces? Audio processing should really be kept to the audio post sessions. Doing this on pieces and parts as you edit will lead to rough and inconsistent sound. Plus, if you have any intention at all of sending your final edit to a sound designer, you'll end up sending out audio that's already been altered. It's best to keep it true to the source and let your sound designer work on the processing from scratch.

paulears
05-06-2013, 08:57 AM
I read it the other way - that what he wanted to do was import the audio as multi tracks so he could work on it properly, in layers - each with it's own routings, effects, processing, eq and mix - and maybe automate the mix too? Personally I would NOT do that in audition, but in my favourite DAW - which has always been cubase - mainly because after using it since the atari days, I'm quite quick and effective with it.

To do this with Cubase needs you to export to OMF - this is how you'd get your tracks from the timeline out to your DAW - the OMF file is the info on what the audio tracks are, and where in time they are. You then load this file up into the DAW, and then they appear on the timeline there. You need to remember the OMF file is NOT the audio, it's just the data of where each track is - so the audio files that get created need to be in the same folder usually. If the DAW finds them, it works. The kinds of snags are usually minor. For instance, when I go premiere to cubase, a stereo track is imported as two mono tracks. This doesn't matter to me, and does often give more scope for tweaking than working with stereo files. In cubase, video tracks appear as yet another track - so then all the sweetening tools in Cubase - and for me, fader automation, make it my choice. I've not checked because I don't use Audition much, that it can read OMF files in the same way.

ironpony
05-06-2013, 12:35 PM
Okay thanks. I've tried OMF on Audition before, but all the tracks are out of order, and unlabelled. So I have to locate each one, label them again, and put everything back in order, which takes a lot more time. I would prefer to work on the movie with everything already in place if that's possible.

The reason why I am doing in bits and pieces is because I often get stuck on some problems which I need to set aside, for later. And work on something I do know how to fix, at that time.

El Director
09-23-2014, 07:07 PM
What you're looking to do is very easy now in CC 14. You can send clips or entire tracks to Audition. If just a clip, all you have to do is save and it updates in Premiere. For an entire movie, you can export stems and bring them in. Cake.

paulears
09-24-2014, 01:50 PM
er, he's not been about since 2013?

rzxrey
09-24-2014, 08:54 PM
What you're looking to do is very easy now in CC 14. You can send clips or entire tracks to Audition. If just a clip, all you have to do is save and it updates in Premiere. For an entire movie, you can export stems and bring them in. Cake.

Does it work like this in CS6 too? Thinking of getting Audition.