PDA

View Full Version : Color Grade Technique Question?

M1CEtro
05-02-2013, 09:03 AM
Hey guys. I shoot music videos. I often have trouble deciding color grades/color schemes that I should use for my videos. It always seems like an arbitrary decision and I blindly go in choosing colors and just picking ones that work.

I recently came across https://kuler.adobe.com with multiple color palettes to choose from for inspiration. It presents you with 5 colors in a palette but most color correctors (espeically the one in vegas) only let you control 3 colors for shadows, mids, and highs. My question is whats the best way to incorporate a color palette from here?

Is it possible to grade in different numerical luminosity ranges? It is my assumption that shadows mids and highs are based on breaking up the values in the image based on the luminosity scale into three sections. Instead of shadows mids and highs, what about breaking the spectrum into 5 ranges? I assume the values on the luminosity scale has number values? (im going to make numbers up for example for the case of explanation). The darkest range is like 0-200 and then lighter 200-400 (this would be like the range between shadows and mids). Mids would be 400-600, and so on and so forth until you have 5 ranges. And then assign a color to each range. Do you know of any possible way to do this?

In Vegas or any other editor/grading software that's out there?

Thanks guys

altarvic
05-02-2013, 12:03 PM
There are grading presets for Vegas Pro (http://vegasaur.com/film-looks) out there, good jumpstart

Shooter
05-02-2013, 04:41 PM
It always seems like an arbitrary decision and I blindly go in choosing colors and just picking ones that work.

Nothing wrong with doing that if thast the way you work creatively.

Some people work to a "vision" and a previsualised idea and intention.

Not sure how creative doing things by numbers is!

Plugin "looks" are o.k if you want someone elese creative vision on your work..or are lazy....but they are a good start point I guess.

M1CEtro
05-03-2013, 06:13 AM
thanks for the insight Shooter